Subversive

LDR5 - Pre-Pre-Release Annual Meltdown and Discussion Thread

Also I forgot to mention this because some of you got on my nerves last night when I was peaceful

She did in fact worked with Emile Huntie and she seems to love the song they did together (she told me which one but I obviously can't spill that much)

Bye for now gays and rats

KHxn0yg.gif

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

I think I understand what you feel, even though I feel different, almost opposite things to the "slowness" of the album. It's weird for me because, even though Born to Die was the album that made me fall in love with Lana back in 2012, now that he have its follow-ups, I look back and think that Born to Die is the one which lacked diversity (please, don't throw rocks at me). Like, besides Video Games, Carmen and Million Dollar Man, I feel like all the songs have similar beats. Like, you can seriously put the lyrics of Summertime Sadness, for example, in the instrumental of Dark Paradise and it fits incredibly perfect ('cause it's almost the same instrumental). The same beats all over the album seem like they just took her previous songs and gave them a style that was unique so they could make them similar to fit and build an album (which, let's be honest, is what happened). I say this looking back, but for years Born to Die was the album of my life and I thought Lana could never create something more perfect than that.

But with Ultraviolence I saw her ability to create intense and complex melodies with a variety of instruments, which was really impressive to me. With Honeymoon that was only enabled forward, in my opinion. I feel like the songs in HM are just flawless, it's the album where we can see (and feel) how much she's grown in the past few years, with all the bullshit whe went through with the media and how that didn't change at all her urge to create and express herself throughout her songs. I wish I could express my thoughts better, I'm dying here hahaha. I guess HM will be my favourite album in a few years, the title-track just makes me wanna cry every single time I listen to it, it's so damn sensible and divine.

After all, her albums are just getting better. And that's what makes me desperately for this new one (hope it's really soon, at least the lead single).

But I'm an unusual person for what I read around here, 'cause I don't really attach to upbeat songs. The slower ones are those which I can connect deeply (I am passionate about Bel Air, for example. It's so underrated I just want to kill myself), so I can understand why I love Honeymoon so much and also why you guys wish the new album is more upbeat.

I think I understand what you feel, even though I feel different, almost opposite things to the "slowness" of the album. It's weird for me because, even though Born to Die was the album that made me fall in love with Lana back in 2012, now that he have its follow-ups, I look back and think that Born to Die is the one which lacked diversity (please, don't throw rocks at me). Like, besides Video Games, Carmen and Million Dollar Man, I feel like all the songs have similar beats. Like, you can seriously put the lyrics of Summertime Sadness, for example, in the instrumental of Dark Paradise and it fits incredibly perfect ('cause it's almost the same instrumental). The same beats all over the album seem like they just took her previous songs and gave them a style that was unique so they could make them similar to fit and build an album (which, let's be honest, is what happened). I say this looking back, but for years Born to Die was the album of my life and I thought Lana could never create something more perfect than that.

But with Ultraviolence I saw her ability to create intense and complex melodies with a variety of instruments, which was really impressive to me. With Honeymoon that was only enabled forward, in my opinion. I feel like the songs in HM are just flawless, it's the album where we can see (and feel) how much she's grown in the past few years, with all the bullshit whe went through with the media and how that didn't change at all her urge to create and express herself throughout her songs. I wish I could express my thoughts better, I'm dying here hahaha. I guess HM will be my favourite album in a few years, the title-track just makes me wanna cry every single time I listen to it, it's so damn sensible and divine.

After all, her albums are just getting better. And that's what makes me desperately for this new one (hope it's really soon, at least the lead single).

Why would anyone throw rocks at you, it's your opinion. I would disagree with BtD. Yes, it's a pretty pop-ish album and it also has a very ongoing theme but the sonsg themselves are actually quite diverse.

I think the songs on HM are good. Yet, 90% is ONE type of song you can make and Lana really did it right. but a collection of slow, laid back songs with a common tempo and a quite similar production is just not something I want for ANOTHER album. Dversity does not have to mean you have up-beat pop songs mixed up with ballads. There are a lot of pretty nice cohesive albums which are diverse at the same time.

Just look at Portishead's Dummy for example. The production and the mood is actually pretty cohesive, yet it has a lot of facets and variations WITHIN this sound-frame.

And that's something HM misses in my opinion. The stuff she created was beautiful, yet it feels a bit uninspired when you listen to it as a full album because everything seems so similar and it's also so long and slow. It is more mature and laid back and I think it's good all the albums have a slightly different vibe (BtD is playful, P is very ethereal, UV has a lot of fire) yet for HM I feel like it's a bit ... dull. HBTB/Freak/AD is really the fun part of the album while the rest feels like a collection of tracks that are very very similar (although beautiful)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Why would anyone throw rocks at you, it's your opinion. I would disagree with BtD. Yes, it's a pretty pop-ish album and it also has a very ongoing theme but the sonsg themselves are actually quite diverse.

I think the songs on HM are good. Yet, 90% is ONE type of song you can make and Lana really did it right. but a collection of slow, laid back songs with a common tempo and a quite similar production is just not something I want for ANOTHER album. Dversity does not have to mean you have up-beat pop songs mixed up with ballads. There are a lot of pretty nice cohesive albums which are diverse at the same time.

Just look at Portishead's Dummy for example. The production and the mood is actually pretty cohesive, yet it has a lot of facets and variations WITHIN this sound-frame.

And that's something HM misses in my opinion. The stuff she created was beautiful, yet it feels a bit uninspired when you listen to it as a full album because everything seems so similar and it's also so long and slow. It is more mature and laid back and I think it's good all the albums have a slightly different vibe (BtD is playful, P is very ethereal, UV has a lot of fire) yet for HM I feel like it's a bit ... dull. HBTB/Freak/AD is really the fun part of the album while the rest feels like a collection of tracks that are very very similar (although beautiful)

Sometimes people are crazy here and I have come to believe that respect to someone else's opinion in the internet is kinda rare (I'm really enjoying sharing my thoughts with you and reading yours, though). It's easy when you can just dismiss someone else 'cause they're far away and unreachable. 

You got me curious about this album. I'll look it up and share my feelings with you later. 

I wish she would cover Nina SImone's "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" to end the next album if she wants to keep this tradition. I believe this one would fit her perfectly (voice and lyrics). It just is something she would compose and I have dreams imagining the album ending with these chords. 

Portishead is amazing! It would actually be really cool if Lana took a little inspiration from them on LDR5... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uciibl0rcs

:smokes2:  :yesnod:  :godlaugh:

Yeah, especially the self-titled album 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzm1DY3hJL8

(last one's from Dummy but I'd love to have a Lana song with a mood similar to this)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

The fact that if an irrelevant online publication were to interview her today, she'd probably give us all this information :defeated: Can someone book ha for Metaphysics and Motorcycles Monthly please @@Ben Mawson

I really do think Honeymoon is her best album. I think people were just not ready for new music by Lana when it was released. I know I was still enjoying UV by the time she put it out but now I really do appreciate it the most. High By The Beach is a campy gem :P

This is so entirely true, it came so soon after an incredible album that was released barely a year before.

From the get go, Honeymoon was rushed and messy - she talked about a new record in the same month she released Ultraviolence, namedropped a song title, didn't give herself a large amount of time to peacefully work on this new content with the Endless Summer tour and stuff. It was like she wanted to create another album simply to act as a buffer between her and Ultraviolence just so she could be distanced from it, because her enthusiasm for UV dropped as soon as she first uttered the words 'Music to Watch Boys to'.

And people were not ready for new Lana content so much. Sure, people may have been thirsting for it, but it didn't feel like the right time at all - I have been craving new Lana material since February, but I always knew it just wasn't the right time.

I believe that if the announcement that she was working on new content came a little later, and she paced herself with the release date, Honeymoon would've been much more valued, but the fact that it came so soon after Ultraviolence doomed it from the start - people were always going to compare the two, and Honeymoon is so different and mellow compared to Ultraviolence, it could almost seem boring and lazy, when it really just conveys a different mood, like all of her albums.

I have begun to adopt this mindset - do not compare albums. They are all meant to be different and evoke different moods, so me believing Honeymoon was a slow, lethargic step back from Ultraviolence stopped me from realising it's easy-going, ethereal and hazy brilliance.

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

"New album features Rick Nowels, Emile Haynie and more."

?

Oh it's Eclipse's tweet, just saw it

RICK, EMILE AND MORE OMG YES

Edited by bunoner

It's only my dark city, only my new man...

yesssssss Emile

now give me Justin Parker again please :defeated: all of their songs are great

He'll hopefully be on LDR5.

She worked with him in late 2015.

giphy.gif

Already feeling like this album will sound like a newly inspired mix of a bit of all the albums. Emile, Rick, same vein as Honeymoon, the back to NY feeling she talked about... There will most probably be some UV vibes too. I have no idea what to expect sonically and I'm excited as hell.

ZKcaooE.png

No, it'll flop really hard.

Florida Kilos is one of the best songs on UV it's full of personality, how could u not want some more of that. 

I can see it fitting rly well with the 70s vintage vibe tbh. It goes well with her Lizzy era. 

14417469274.gif