Jack

Melanie Martinez

37 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

im lowkey pissed that Evil sounds muffled but I will

understand it as aesthetic. Through speakers it still slaps tho

I played it with speakers and my headphones and it sounds muffled regardless and it bugs me but I love it 

Jealousy's a disease bitch get well soon

3 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

The bar is really low for albums this year anyway so I’m sure she’ll be fine 

Like where are the great albums?

Kesha is coming to save pop music :legend:

2 hours ago, 132 said:

Ok listening to the album fully, on the tape, I’ll let you know my thoughts. Love death and void obviously because I don’t lack taste like most of the fans. 
Also the way the tape came before the vinyl…crying

My Amazon order for the vinyl is now in my bedroom :party:

Okay, I finally listened to the album and... it was an album :awkney:

It's not terrible but it's not her magnum opus either. My comments below (note I didn't hear the singles before the album, and was not too familiar with the snippets either so it was all basically brand new except the previously leaked songs Tunnel Vision, Færie Soirée, Leeches and Moon Cycle):

Spoiler
  1. Death. 7/10. It was a very interesting introduction to the album. It feels like the verses are too long but I quite enjoyed the chorus and the hook. Hoping it will grow on me. I, however, prefer the unreleased song of the same name.
  2. Void9/10. I really enjoyed it, I think Melanie doing catchy songs again is something to be celebrated. While a bridge would have made this song a 10 out of 10, I don't mind it much. 
  3. Tunnel Vision10/10. One of my favourites for sure, and I like the little updates in the production. Probably I prefer the vocal take of the demo version, but it's a minor thing. However, I don't know how this managed to have two outros? The very last seconds were not quite enjoyable to me, they don't seem to be part of either this song or the next one so if it was on me I would've erased it.
  4. Færie Soirée7/10. While I love the main part and the new outro, once again I prefer the vocal take from the demo rather than the one in the final version. The outro is a little distracting though, it doesn't feel connected to the song.
  5. Light Shower. 6/10. I liked this one, but it felt unnecessarily long. It could have ended around the 'bridge'/guitar solo part before the chorus is repeated, and it would've been enough. And I don't see anything hideous about this one's lyrics except for the part of the teeth lol.
  6. Spider Web. 7/10. Okay the hate this one receives is not all deserved. I think it's a well structured track, and maybe the chorus is a little bland but overall not as terrible as it was being said to be before. And, to be honest, more 'upbeat' songs like this were definitely needed in the album. Not going to lie though, it feels like the song could have been more than what it is, there was potential that was not used in my opinion.
  7. Leeches. 6/10. I always liked it since it leaked two years ago, but its placement in this album felt... off? Like, maybe as a bonus track, but literally she had at least 6 other options to include in the album that were stronger than this one. I'm all here for the updates it received though, they elevated the song.
  8. Battle of the Larynx7/10. My favourite part of this song is the production, but overall there's not much that standouts from this one and the album starts to feel too repeatitive (even if not all the songs sound the same, there's something going on that sounds cyclic at some extent). I need to pay more attention to the lyrics with this one, the production distracts a little at first listen.
  9. The Contortionist9/10. This felt like a return to form. Aside from the weird bone-cracking sounds, I really liked this. The melody and the production make it very catchy and I think it's one of my favourites.
  10. Moon Cycle5/10. No. If I initially enjoyed the demo, this one really didn't need to be in the album. It doesn't feel cohesive with anything else on it, its placement in the album is weird tracklist-wise, and overall, while I liked the production updates, it somehow felt like a downgrade from the demo. Skip.
  11. Nymphology4/10. This one was a mistake if you ask me. Literally I only enjoyed the first verse. Anything else felt like a færiefication from a K-12 outtake or something. That weird vocal production in the chorus, the penis lyrics, the spelling... why.
  12. Evil8/10. We're back! The only thing that I didn't really enjoy at first listen is that the verses are muffled but it's too precise to be accidental so I'll take it as aesthetic. I love the rock influences in many songs but particularly in this one, they're stellar.
  13. Womb8/10. The album closes great with this one. I like the acoustic elements towards the beat, nice combination. And I liked the possibility of making a segue that loops the album if edited to transition into Death again.

Overall, 70. Sadly, I think this is my fault for listening to the leaks and overhyping it with what I thought the album should have been. Yes I'm bitter songs like Sirens, Dragon's Blood, Neelde & Thread, Fingers Crossed or Garden were left out in favour of songs like Moon Cycle or Nymphology, but I guess it is what it is. Objectively, the album is quite cohesive and with a little retouch in the order, and proper segues or transitions (as in, properly used), it flows great. It seems, after K-12, like the beginning of a return to form for Melanie, but she seems not to be quite there yet. I see potential to grow on some songs, but some others definitely were not good enough for me.

Favourites - Evil, Tunnel Vision, The Contortionist.

Least favourites/didn't like - Nymphology, Moon Cycle.

Oh, and the transitions are not it. I tried adjusting them a little (i.e. I added the very outro from TV as the intro in FS, the outro of FS into LS, etc.) but I think split songs would've been better this time.

Will try to split the album into separate tracks without transitions though, and adjust the tracklist fitting outtakes and removing songs that in my opinion devaluate the record.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

2 hours ago, 132 said:

Also; the transitions work on tape and vinyl because you’re less likely to skip on those formats because you actually have to do it manually. CD is kinda a gamble but digital versions shouldn’t have the transitions 

I agree. I think she should've done what Madonna did with Confessions on a Dance Floor and had digital copies be version to not have the transitions/crossfade bits

2 hours ago, 132 said:

IVE FOUND A FELLOW EVIL STAN

I love evil too, just the contortionist is my favourite Melanie song overall I think :true:

17 minutes ago, The Siren said:

Kesha is coming to save pop music :legend:

My Amazon order for the vinyl is now in my bedroom :party:

You gave me 20 notifications…GET A JOB. STAY AWAY FROM HER.

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

Hate the fact that probably I won't sleep trying to split the tracks and sneak Garden, Sirens, Needle & Thread, Fingers Crossed and Dragon's Blood into the album :deadbanana: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

2 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Hate the fact that probably I won't sleep trying to split the tracks and sneak Garden, Sirens, Needle & Thread, Fingers Crossed and Dragon's Blood into the album :deadbanana: 

I’m very interested in seeing the Glitter Boy edited tracklist :true:.

FS transitions very well into Sirens or N&T with the water sounds, but that’s if you leave the awful outro on FS…

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

20 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I love this guy’s reactions, very genuine. Plus he’s cute. 

Well I guess for now he can full the VOID in my hole heart that AjayII left empty :crai:

17 minutes ago, BowOfLove said:

Imagine shopping at target and seeing someone like that walk in :rip:

Ngl I'd probably laugh hysterical :thumb2:

24 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Okay, I finally listened to the album and... it was an album :awkney:

It's not terrible but it's not her magnum opus either. My comments below (note I didn't hear the singles before the album, and was not too familiar with the snippets either so it was all basically brand new except the previously leaked songs Tunnel Vision, Færie Soirée, Leeches and Moon Cycle):

Hide contents
  1. Death. 7/10. It was a very interesting introduction to the album. It feels like the verses are too long but I quite enjoyed the chorus and the hook. Hoping it will grow on me. I, however, prefer the unreleased song of the same name.
  2. Void9/10. I really enjoyed it, I think Melanie doing catchy songs again is something to be celebrated. While a bridge would have made this song a 10 out of 10, I don't mind it much. 
  3. Tunnel Vision10/10. One of my favourites for sure, and I like the little updates in the production. Probably I prefer the vocal take of the demo version, but it's a minor thing. However, I don't know how this managed to have two outros? The very last seconds were not quite enjoyable to me, they don't seem to be part of either this song or the next one so if it was on me I would've erased it.
  4. Færie Soirée7/10. While I love the main part and the new outro, once again I prefer the vocal take from the demo rather than the one in the final version. The outro is a little distracting though, it doesn't feel connected to the song.
  5. Light Shower. 6/10. I liked this one, but it felt unnecessarily long. It could have ended around the 'bridge'/guitar solo part before the chorus is repeated, and it would've been enough. And I don't see anything hideous about this one's lyrics except for the part of the teeth lol.
  6. Spider Web. 7/10. Okay the hate this one receives is not all deserved. I think it's a well structured track, and maybe the chorus is a little bland but overall not as terrible as it was being said to be before. And, to be honest, more 'upbeat' songs like this were definitely needed in the album. Not going to lie though, it feels like the song could have been more than what it is, there was potential that was not used in my opinion.
  7. Leeches. 6/10. I always liked it since it leaked two years ago, but its placement in this album felt... off? Like, maybe as a bonus track, but literally she had at least 6 other options to include in the album that were stronger than this one. I'm all here for the updates it received though, they elevated the song.
  8. Battle of the Larynx7/10. My favourite part of this song is the production, but overall there's not much that standouts from this one and the album starts to feel too repeatitive (even if not all the songs sound the same, there's something going on that sounds cyclic at some extent). I need to pay more attention to the lyrics with this one, the production distracts a little at first listen.
  9. The Contortionist9/10. This felt like a return to form. Aside from the weird bone-cracking sounds, I really liked this. The melody and the production make it very catchy and I think it's one of my favourites.
  10. Moon Cycle5/10. No. If I initially enjoyed the demo, this one really didn't need to be in the album. It doesn't feel cohesive with anything else on it, its placement in the album is weird tracklist-wise, and overall, while I liked the production updates, it somehow felt like a downgrade from the demo. Skip.
  11. Nymphology4/10. This one was a mistake if you ask me. Literally I only enjoyed the first verse. Anything else felt like a færiefication from a K-12 outtake or something. That weird vocal production in the chorus, the penis lyrics, the spelling... why.
  12. Evil8/10. We're back! The only thing that I didn't really enjoy at first listen is that the verses are muffled but it's too precise to be accidental so I'll take it as aesthetic. I love the rock influences in many songs but particularly in this one, they're stellar.
  13. Womb8/10. The album closes great with this one. I like the acoustic elements towards the beat, nice combination. And I liked the possibility of making a segue that loops the album if edited to transition into Death again.

Overall, 70. Sadly, I think this is my fault for listening to the leaks and overhyping it with what I thought the album should have been. Yes I'm bitter songs like Sirens, Dragon's Blood, Neelde & Thread, Fingers Crossed or Garden were left out in favour of songs like Moon Cycle or Nymphology, but I guess it is what it is. Objectively, the album is quite cohesive and with a little retouch in the order, and proper segues or transitions (as in, properly used), it flows great. It seems, after K-12, like the beginning of a return to form for Melanie, but she seems not to be quite there yet. I see potential to grow on some songs, but some others definitely were not good enough for me.

Favourites - Evil, Tunnel Vision, The Contortionist.

Least favourites/didn't like - Nymphology, Moon Cycle.

Oh, and the transitions are not it. I tried adjusting them a little (i.e. I added the very outro from TV as the intro in FS, the outro of FS into LS, etc.) but I think split songs would've been better this time.

Will try to split the album into separate tracks without transitions though, and adjust the tracklist fitting outtakes and removing songs that in my opinion devaluate the record.

16 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Ive kinda already moved the transitions to their respective songs they intro'ed for