Jack

Melanie Martinez

The truth is… this album, if not completely horrible, is not up to part for a 4 year long project! Not even for 3 years (I know she started it in 2020)

and 3 of the 5 decent tracks, we already knew… but that’s on us!

K-12 was also a dissappointment but at least it came with the movie already (even if it was a piece of shit). This one doesn’t even have the movie yet and she has had the same amount of time… and knowing her she won’t move on until she makes a visual for every single song… so we are in for at least 6 years until the next album! 

I wish she scrapped the movie idea, gave us a couple more videos and started with the next era as soon as possible, cause this one is a flop 

2 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Does Tunnel Vision use a Phrygian chord progression? It has a bit of the vibe of ‘Unholy’, but is everything Unholy is not (clever, well written).

love the Unholy slander… cause why not? :omfg2:

I had Contortionist on repeat last night. I'm listening to the album again and I actually REALLY like the beginning of Spider Web and wish the entire song sounded like that. 

I also think leeches is really boring. If I had to remove a song it'll probably be that. And I fucking HATE the screaming at the end. I thought it was my next door neighbor when I first listened to it and got scared. 

I agree that Moon Cycle lyrics are a bit... much but lyrics aside, I think it's a cute song melodically. 

my (probably controversial) review so far, on first listen. not finished listening but this is what ive gotten through so far. 

DEATH 5/10

I like the beat for the second half. The lyrics have an alright storyline. I don’t think she should have repeated the “I’m back from the dead” chorus, it sounds a little repetitive. The bridge is good. I don’t like the end where she is running, that is too long.

VOID 2/10

At least the running crossfaded. This sounds like a Harry/Billie song. Copy and paste radio pop. I don’t like the chorus and overall ruins the song.

TUNNEL VISION 8/10

Intro is okay. I like the beat, its very Crybaby era. I like this song. The lyrics aren’t dark and witchcraft which took over the first two a lot, and I think is going to be a theme. Everything about this sounds like old Melanie and I like that sound, and this sounds like a more mature version of that. I think the lyrics could have been different for each chorus. Bridge is cute, but I think it should have been fast and not slow. Fits the theme that the bridge should be different, but I don’t think it’s that good here. The outro is good, sounds Bjork adjacent.

FAERIE SOIREE 1/10

Should have crossfaded for how long the outro was on TUNNEL VISION. This sounds different for her, I’m not sure if I like it first listen. Slightly political. The bridge is the only redeeming part of this song, only the sound because I don’t like the lyrics.

LIGHT SHOWER 4/10

Cute crossfade. I’m a fan of those on this album. So far, I like this song. The lyrics are sad but poetic. Sounds like I’m expecting a switch up soon though. Kinda giving Billie again to me. Not a fan of the repetitive chorus, I think she could have done something different for the second one. Her voice in it is nice. This song is too long and without a bridge that draws me in, I don’t care for this too much.

SPIDER WEB 2/10

Another nice crossfade that sets you up for the theme of the song. I like the instrumental for this but am not a fan of the fluttering that is going across my head. I don’t like the beat or the chorus for this. It sounds like an early mix. The lyrics are fine but it sounds too indie, almost like a Gabbie Hanna song. Overall, if this came on, I wouldn’t skip it if I wasn’t paying too hard to the music. Again, without a bridge, the song gets lost.

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

1 hour ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I see Kinetics shared Melanie’s post saying the album was out on his story. Nice of him considering no one else mentioned them in their posts. Absolutely nothing on One Love’s Instagram. 

CJ just edited the caption of his Portals Instagram post 25 minutes ago and tagged K&OL :creep: 

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

54 minutes ago, lanitataco said:

my (probably controversial) review so far, on first listen. not finished listening but this is what ive gotten through so far. 

DEATH 5/10

I like the beat for the second half. The lyrics have an alright storyline. I don’t think she should have repeated the “I’m back from the dead” chorus, it sounds a little repetitive. The bridge is good. I don’t like the end where she is running, that is too long.

VOID 2/10

At least the running crossfaded. This sounds like a Harry/Billie song. Copy and paste radio pop. I don’t like the chorus and overall ruins the song.

TUNNEL VISION 8/10

Intro is okay. I like the beat, its very Crybaby era. I like this song. The lyrics aren’t dark and witchcraft which took over the first two a lot, and I think is going to be a theme. Everything about this sounds like old Melanie and I like that sound, and this sounds like a more mature version of that. I think the lyrics could have been different for each chorus. Bridge is cute, but I think it should have been fast and not slow. Fits the theme that the bridge should be different, but I don’t think it’s that good here. The outro is good, sounds Bjork adjacent.

FAERIE SOIREE 1/10

Should have crossfaded for how long the outro was on TUNNEL VISION. This sounds different for her, I’m not sure if I like it first listen. Slightly political. The bridge is the only redeeming part of this song, only the sound because I don’t like the lyrics.

LIGHT SHOWER 4/10

Cute crossfade. I’m a fan of those on this album. So far, I like this song. The lyrics are sad but poetic. Sounds like I’m expecting a switch up soon though. Kinda giving Billie again to me. Not a fan of the repetitive chorus, I think she could have done something different for the second one. Her voice in it is nice. This song is too long and without a bridge that draws me in, I don’t care for this too much.

SPIDER WEB 2/10

Another nice crossfade that sets you up for the theme of the song. I like the instrumental for this but am not a fan of the fluttering that is going across my head. I don’t like the beat or the chorus for this. It sounds like an early mix. The lyrics are fine but it sounds too indie, almost like a Gabbie Hanna song. Overall, if this came on, I wouldn’t skip it if I wasn’t paying too hard to the music. Again, without a bridge, the song gets lost.

VOID a 2? Are you Anthony Fantano? Lol At least I agree with FAERIE SOIREE

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Im so mad… this album could have been a 10 if the toasted those unnecesary transitions and included the leaks! 

I highly doubt it was the labels idea to scrap the whole concept… if she kept quiet about the leaks and stood her ground (changing the albums direction was probably the main motivation of the hackers in the first place) she would have a great album with much more replay value… this on the other hand… I’m only replaying the leaks + The Contortionist and Nymphology

Also Death and Void original stay superior to the final version. I’m sure only 4 crybabies listened to the leaks and wouldn’t mind them ending up in the final version cause they are so good. Maybe with a little prod switch up like Madonna did with Rebel Heart and changing the release date. Instead we got this mess… :toofloppy::crai:

7 minutes ago, Wessdude said:

The album is safe, CJ Baran liked a comment of someone asking if Sirens is on the Deluxe :wowcry: :mariah:

someone ask about N&T and Garden immediately 

edit: someone said he liked all the comments :toofloppy:

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

Okay first thoughts on the lead-Death:

Vocals aren’t really working with vocoder underneath them, the concept and lyrics are interesting- her voice oddly sounds damaged to me like she’s struggling to sing the melody so they covered it up.

Transitions were attempted to make the song more memorable but the overall production sounds like 2019 Top 40 pop

The fact that she never considered to include Needle & Thread over Light Shower amazes me as much as her putting Training Wheels in CB over Ring Pop, Haunted or even Cooties (the love song of the album).

This makes me question her taste level over her own art… :wowcry:

24 minutes ago, Wessdude said:

The album is safe, CJ Baran liked a comment of someone asking if Sirens is on the Deluxe :wowcry: :mariah:

I'm gonna cry :cumming:

The crazy voices in her head didn't tell her to scrap them! But now we need a release date. 

idk if anyone already posted it but cj liked my comment about sirens being on the deluxe reworked:hdu:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqcU8oqPK7k/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= the one with like 40 likes and 5 replies

the last rancid girl in a rancid world

tumblr_o12wrv5btd1qj2b14o1_500.gif

and i don't seem to mind

I’m on leeches atm- the biggest positive of this album is it’s cohesivity and blending- it sounds like an album! Which no one has achieved this year yet. Really like the transitions.

The main problems of this album is her vocals- they are frail and overdone with vocoder which makes her “new” bad pronouncing of words more noticeable- something has happened since crybaby and she needs a vocal coach if she doesn’t yet.

The writing is fine and I like it’s storytelling mostly but again the sound production is quite weak and lacks any interesting ideas like it’s being demoed and kept at the initial demo.