Jack

Melanie Martinez

So after reading Melanie's liner notes, it seems she self produced Faerie Soirée, Leeches, & Moon Cycle using loops and samples from various producers, sent to her by her A&R Jeff. During this process, she sent her basic demo sessions to One Love, who took it upon himself to re-produce her demos, which is why we have demo leaks of those songs produced by One Love, yet his name isn't anywhere in the credits of those songs. Instead, the producers of the samples Melanie picked are credited. I also noticed CJ gave a shoutout to everyone involved on the album except Kinetics & One Love. Maybe there's bad blood after Melanie found out how easily One Love was hacked and the volume of material leaked from him. 

3 minutes ago, misslonaxo said:

So after reading Melanie's liner notes, it seems she self produced Faerie Soirée, Leeches, & Moon Cycle using loops and samples from various producers, sent to her by her A&R Jeff. During this process, she sent her basic demo sessions to One Love, who took it upon himself to re-produce her demos, which is why we have demo leaks of those songs produced by One Love, yet his name isn't anywhere in the credits of those songs. Instead, the producers of the samples Melanie picked are credited. I also noticed CJ gave a shoutout to everyone involved on the album except Kinetics & One Love. Maybe there's bad blood after Melanie found out how easily One Love was hacked and the volume of material leaked from him. 

as much sense as this makes i really hope she doesn’t have bad blood with k&ol over the hacks, they’re just as much a victim as she is

20 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I’m going to say the following songs replaced leaks: Death (obviously), Void (obviously), BOTL, Nymphology, The Contortionist, Spider Web, Evil

That leaves five songs that were not rewrites, in their place I’d guess: Sirens, Garden, Needle and Thread, Dragons Blood, and maybe Synchronicities

Songs always intended for the album: Tunnel Vision, Faerie Soiree, Light Shower, Leeches, Moon Cycle, Womb

I think she may had replaced Dragons Blood with Spider Web… 

they sound similar and the theme is also kinda the same :true:

6 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

We’ll never know if there was a finalized track list prior to her deciding for whatever reason to redo this album, in my opinion Sirens, Garden, and Needle and Thread were finished songs that were intended for the album. They are very polished in the state they were leaked. 

I agree with all of that, I think she indirectly confirmed why those 3 songs didn't make it via saying it took everything in her not to scrap TV, I wish she'd swallow her pride and put them on the deluxe, she knows they'd do well. But she will never do it. I also think Dragons Blood was 100% intended for the album, it was one of the first ones to leak and it's final is pretty polished too. There's a whole other album and story with those songs we didn't get, all BC they leaked.

I am also very very intrigued by her statement of "not being able to rewrite a better tunnel song" because that means... There's other tunnel visions. The closest thing we have to another tunnel vision is one of the demos, so does that mean her statement also confirms that demo with different lyrics is another tunnel vision entirely? Should we be considering it a different song?

8 minutes ago, rabbit boi said:

as much sense as this makes i really hope she doesn’t have bad blood with k&ol over the hacks, they’re just as much a victim as she is

I really feel Melanie is trying to redirect the narrative behind her production. The way she is so articulate about the production process in the liner notes, detailing how she used samples and her recording process, it feels like she’s trying to establish herself as a producer on paper. Instead of becoming a victim of producer hacks and the 2021 leaks situation in general, she’s getting the point across that she’s not dependent on producers, specifically K&OL

2 hours ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I wonder if she was some how obligated to include one song with them or something? I mean they spent all that time in Hawaii, to use nothing at all. Like you said before it’s surprising the other leaks don’t have either of them credited on them at all. I feel like maybe the label insisted or maybe she had a deal with K&OL for at least one song and she’s salty about having to include it.

CJ thanked Melanie's A&R Jeff for "moving mountains" with this album. I wonder if after the leaks there was a lot of damage control, new sessions with CJ booked, discussions with K&OL, etc

Eyes on the prize, thought the cherry would be
Better than the pie, you like that, like that, that, like that
That's your demise, yeah
You hold me like you're rushing to my thighs
Too fast, too fast, fast, too fast

:beyonce::kris::mariah::hair::crying:

the way this song SLAPS even harder after 2 years… it’s like I can’t get tired of it :angie:

She really did a deal with the devil for this beat, yet she didn’t want to include it :willcut:

1 hour ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Florence? U mean the “Just A Girl” cover? 

and what about Ajayii… am I missing something? 

There's a presave for Flo (I posted the link in the Florence thread)

As about AjayII she changed a couple of days ago her youtube handle username

:icant:  Did You Know That The B***h Emptied My Bank Account? :icant:

cASqFK.699fdee4f96aae1cc420d1731bf36fa7-

8 minutes ago, marcodelrey said:

As about AjayII she changed a couple of days ago her youtube handle username

omg check her twitter,, what’s going on?????

2 minutes ago, Yellow said:

What do y'all think replaced garden and needle and thread? 

I don’t think it’s a song for song replacement type thing, I think in a way she started fresh and then pieced back in some that she wanted to include. Tbh none of the songs on the final album give the energy that either of those songs have.  

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

16 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

Faerie Soirée
There were many days I sat in the portal room wanting to create outside of my own perspective. I asked Jeff Levin (my A&R) to send me as many folders as possible of instrumental tracks created by different producers. After searching through the folders for a while, there was one track labeled "Respect Vol 1" by this producer named Hoskins that struck me. It was an infectious drum groove over a guitar top line. I wrote the song very quickly. I kept dancing to it, being overtaken by fairy energy. It felt like the stage of homecoming. Connecting with my soul family. A spirited soirée between me and my Fae guides.

Leeches
People describe a lot of the after-life to be like a school of sorts, projecting into past lifetimes with people they keep incarnating with, to put themselves in each other's shoes. Showing how they could've best dealt with conflict on earth for next time. These next few songs are about conflict on earth. I'd like to think we all plan these moments together prior to coming here, triggering each other to evolve. Living in the most vapid and isolating city of Los Angeles, I decided to write "Leeches" about people who live here for the wrong reasons, and how they act around people in the spotlight. I wrote this over a track from that large folder originally, added some extra production stuff, then brought it to CJ who then brought in live string instrumentation for it to tug on the emotional heart strings.

Moon Cycle
I wrote this song in the portal room alone over one of the instrumental tracks in that folder that was sent to me. It was a guitar loop by Pearl Lion. 

Well, from how Melanie worded this, it doesn't sound like she self-produced the original demos— only toplined the pre-existing instrumentals and recorded her own vocals for them. But she did say she added extra production on Leeches before sending it to CJ Baran...

This Instagram story, speculated to be from the Faerie Soirée recording session, was filmed in her home studio:

Been writing music every day at home and I feel so fucking high from creating. & I'm Super pumped cause I get to write with Kinetics & One Love later today and this whole weekend

I'm sure that weird "surf-rock" demo of Emerald was another self-recorded topline, with the guitar instrumental (True Colors?) being a random producer beat from one of Jeff's folders. Then, she had sent that demo to K&OL, leading it to get re-produced by One Love on emerald v0.1.

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

2 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I don’t think it’s a song for song replacement type thing, I think in a way she started fresh and then pieced back in some that she wanted to include. Tbh none of the songs on the final album give the energy that either of those songs have.  

I think the original concept for the album was a lot more powerful than what we got, it almost makes me wish we didn't get the leaks, and waited. Because it would've been a smash hit. This version of portals might get Melanie in mainstream again, but the original definitely would've, and more. 

2 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Well, from how Melanie worded this, it doesn't sound like she self-produced the original demos— only toplined the pre-existing instrumentals and recorded her own vocal for them. But she did say she added extra production on Leeches before sending it to CJ Baran...

This Instagram story, speculated to be from the Faerie Soirée recording session, was filmed in her home studio:

Been writing music every day at home and I feel so fucking high from creating. & I'm Super pumped cause I get to write with Kinetics & One Love later today and this whole weekend

I'm sure that weird "surf-rock" demo of Emerald was another self-recorded topline, with the guitar instrumental (True Colors?) being a random producer beat from one of Jeff's folders. Then, she had sent that demo to K&OL, leading it to get re-produced by One Love on emerald v0.1.

I wonder why One Love re-produced FS and MC if Melanie loved the producer beats so much. Maybe just because they had upcoming sessions (as stated in the IG story) and that was Melanie's freshest material at the time. However i'm wondering if they actually created together or Melanie just sent her ProTools sessions to One Love..... and i think i know the answer

Just now, Anonymcomenter said:

Garden - The Contortionist or BOTL (a loss) 

Needle & Thread - Light Shower

im going by themes here 

I think light shower was always intended for portals because she confirmed it was the first track she wrote for it, and it never leaked, but I do agree it's the most like needle and thread thematically, I wonder if she was struggling between the two and the leak kind of made the choice for her 

1 minute ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Garden - The Contortionist or BOTL (a loss) 

Needle & Thread - Light Shower

im going by themes here 

Light Shower was made before Needle & Thread though. I get that this song replacement game is thematic, but I don't think Melanie was seriously swapping songs in and out like that. She said in that one livestream (where she smushed her face into the birthday cake) that at the time (dec 2020 iirc) she had songs confirmed to make the album. Those were probably just Womb and Light Shower, and Melanie knew she wanted to use the titles Death & Void, but couldn't figure out the right vibes when working with K&OL. So i guess you could say LS, Womb, Death, and Void were destined to make the album in one form or another.

I'm glad Light Shower never leaked because K&OL never touched it. The song reminds me of when Melanie was active on TikTok, around the release of After School. Clips of her on her roof, writing and creating around the house. Pretty much exactly was she was describing when writing the song.