white gold

Does your family know about Lana?

My mom loves her and we even have an inside joke about Be My Daddy lmao (I'm lame k). My stepdad thinks she's depressing and just a bi-product of teen angst :eyeroll2: and my dad wants to bang her kms

i just bought UV on vinyl and was playing it in the living room and my grandfather walked in and was like "Wow- what an incredible voice. It's so soothing". My sister also knows of lana but she has absolutely no taste in music so whenever I bring lana up she rants about how she doesn't like her

When I was in high school and before I was able to get my own car I would borrow my grandmother's and I had the BTD CD in the car since there was no aux cord. One day I must've left it in the player and on because the next time I picked up the car she said she really liked the album that I had left playing which I thought was kind of funny

both my parents know i love her, but my dad thinks her music is too slow and depressing (original, i know) i play her all the time in the car when i'm with my mom and she practically knows all the words to every song off uv with the exceptions of fmwuttt and florida kilos, i don't play any of her songs like cola and stuff around my parents, that'd be so unbelievably awkward lmfao. but i've seen lana twice live and my mom drove me both times cause i'm never gonna learn to drive because that's scary as fuck but that's a different story lol, but while i was at the concert my mom would go to the merch stand for me and try to get a shirt or the tour book before they're all gone :')

i have the insert from the uv vinyl up on my wall (the one with lana laying in some flowers smoking in her peyote shirt lmao) and i catch my mom looking at it a lot, i think she thinks i have a crush on her which.. i mean she's not wrong but it's not really like that, it kinda freaks me out tho cause im not out to anyone irl but i have the feeling my mom has a.. suspicion :/ oh well :/ as long as she doesn't ever confront me i'll be fine lmaooo

and a small rant that's only kinda related but oh well lol this summer when my aunt was visiting we were all in the car because we had to go be tourist with her and she was like "no rap, none of that pop crap, nothing that's too loud" and a bunch of other shit and i was like?? then what is left to play???? so i tried out lana and my aunt goes "what is this im gonna fall asleep" like uh.... what the hell do u even listen to lmao, so then i tried fleetwood and she was like "can we change it, i have bad memories associated with this song" and long story short she didn't like anything on my phone and she didn't like any of the stations on the radio so we had to spend four hours each way with no music it was hell she just complained the entire time

UbsOye5.png

My 10 yo niece once couldn't stop singing Be My Daddy bc I played it non-stop in my room. I'm so glad my mom doesn't really understand most of what I'm playing cause she will seriously whoop my ass. :toofunny:

I also converted my 13 year old niece into a Lana stan.. just so I can have someone to stan with. 

Yes. I'm a lonely person and a terrible aunt. :judgingu:

4BZPaCg.jpg

I actually turned my mom into a stan :toofunny: My mom and I always share whatever music we're into with each other, so she's heard a good mix of all of Lana's music from me, and ended up liking it-- now, she watches the entire "Ride" video every morning ("Luke, I feel like she's talking about me!!!") and sings Lizzy-era stuff all the time (PMIAM gets stuck in her head a lot, and I'll hear her singing it while she cleans-- I never expect to hear "you can be my daddy" come from my mother's lips, but what can u do). Besides "Ride", her other favorite track is "Kill Kill". And, I've told her enough useless Lana trivia that she knows it by heart now-- the other day, I was playing "Yayo", and she says, "Hey, wasn't that in the Keds ad Lana did?" and I cried a little bit inside because I stan that obsessively and she knows it :rollin:

My dad knows she exists, but that's about it-- and my brother doesn't really care for her music, aside from Y&B and the SS remix :toofunny: 

As for what music I grew up listening to, my mom listened to a bit of everything-- but it may have been some of the 50s/60s pop she listened to (The Shirelles, Elvis, The Beach Boys, etc.) that really turned me on to Lana's vintage/retro vibes. :)

o4qjp4j.png

I hate my family when it comes to Lana. I live with my grandmother and she only likes Cola, Gods and Monsters, and Off To The Races, but if I try to play any other Lana music in the car, she won't say anything, but she will smoke 6 cigarettes before one song is even over. It makes me feel guilty, and so I have to turn on something I don't really want to listen to. One of my cousins really got into her at one point, and he really liked National Anthem. He likes her stuff from BTD! My other cousin and I argue over Lana all the time though, and it's annoying because she has no music taste. She once went as far to call Lana a cocaine addict, and that's when I gave up lol. My dad's mother really likes her, even though she doesn't like all of her songs, she really likes her covers of Blue Velvet, and The Other Woman. She really likes This Is What Makes Us Girls, and Love. But other than that, my family really doesn't like her and just calls her depressing, and it really hurts me when they don't respect one of the few things that makes me happy. Also one of my cousins went with me to a Lana concert, and she really likes her music, but she said she only really likes Cola and Born To Die.  

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

When I came home for winter break in my senior year of college I showed my mom the Ride video.

Her exact words were "I like the song and the lyrics are good but why is such a beautiful girl with so many ugly men?" 

I explained to her the daddy themes in Lana's music and she said, "Still, could she not have cast someone that looked like George Clooney?"  :um2:

My mom LOVES Lolita though (the AKA version), which is why I felt comfortable sharing Lana's music with her. I haven't since I showed her the Ride video though lmao.

I can't tell my mum about her because my mum thinks all popular singers are 'worldly' and 'demonic', and she only listens to Christian music. I don't think she'll approve of her lyrics either! It actually annoying because if my mum asks me what singers I like I have to say 'none' to avoid trouble and a lecture, when music is a really big part of my life. I live with my mum and dad separately too, so at my dad's house I can listen to music without the fear of my mum asking me who I'm listening too and then telling me they are a bad influence or whatever.

My Dad heard 'Born To Die' (the song) when I first got into her, and he liked it. But that's it really. I've mentioned her a few times, like when Love came out I said I was happy because one of my favourite singers released a new song/video. I also said the song was happy, which I think he was pleased to hear!! I did email him 'Brooklyn Baby' bc we share music that way, but I don't think he ever got it bc his email is full of spam and most of my messages get burried. :(

Anyways il bring up Lana a bit more. He introduced me to great artists like Bowie, Cohen and Simone from an early age, and I've got him fairly into Florence & The Machine. I might be getting a record player for my birthday, so no doubt he will see the Lana vinyls I'll get. ;)

My mom likes her released tracks, but once I showed her You Can Be The Boss and she didn't like it and it got a bit awkward  :brows3:  also she went to her gig in 2013 and didn't take me with her  :crossed:

Once I got the aux cable in car with my dad and played American, Diet Mtn Dew etc., he's such a usaholic but I don't think he cared that much of my lizzy girl 

Happy as the moonshine

My mom knows her and loves Ride and a few other songs from Born To Die and Paradise, but whenever I listen to Ultraviolence or Honeymoon, she asks me why I'm listening to "this psycho music". :crai:

My mom likes her released tracks, but once I showed her You Can Be The Boss and she didn't like it and it got a bit awkward   :brows3:  also she went to her gig in 2013 and didn't take me with her   :crossed:

Once I got the aux cable in car with my dad and played American, Diet Mtn Dew etc., he's such a usaholic but I don't think he cared that much of my lizzy girl 

OMG I would never forgive her LMAO.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Omg i forgot to say earlier,

At my cousins house (back in 2013) I was playing her piano while she was outside talking to the rest of the family. I was playing Ride, and Video Games, and she came in and was like "OMG they're lana del rey songs!" And asked me to play them again for her.

She's 30ish now. So yay, another Lana fan in my family who doesn't just know Summertime Sadness and Young and Beautiful remixes...

Yes my family do. They tolerate her tbh. My brother used to listen to some of her song cause he said thet they rexaled him and made him sleep. My sister like two or three songs too and that's all. My mother says she likes her but she literally just dosen't care.. while my father says she's depressing lmao