luckyonewithoutyou

Best American Record

When the fuck did Lana say the guy is famous? You guys keep stretching these lyrics. All she says is "You did it all for fame, how does that treat you now?" Meaning he did it for the fame, that's it. No where does she state he actually received fame, he just planned his actions towards it. Y'all needa stop

This song is so so beautiful, I adore it so much! The first time I listened to it I was just mesmerised by the melody, her voice, the music, the lyrics, all of it  :flutter:

I'm so in love, I find these lyrics (and the way she sings them) simply beautiful. The bridge legit gave me chills, her vocals and those lyrics are haunting!

I lean more towards believing this is about an ex lover (Bill) than being about herself tbh, but I do find the theory about this being about herself really interesting. 

Either way, no matter how you interpret it, this song feels personal, which I love! 

Honestly, this song has a kind of delicate yet dark beauty to it, and I'm enchanted...  :legend: :legend: :legend:

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

I think nobody has said anything about this probably because it's not supposed to be a single thus they won't release it.

Anyways I love the whole lizzy/acoustic vibe, i just hope it's a demo and it will be a little bit more clear.

Also finally we're getting dem good lyrics :deadbanana: it's not a poetic masterpiece but I love the song as a whole, also lyrically

Yeah maybe it isn't a single, cause like can you imagine a video for this?? I cant. Unless its just a promotional single. I imagine she WOULD want this Billy dude to hear it somehow

To me the context that makes the most sense is that the song is about Barrie. Here's why I think that:

'My baby used to dance underneath my architecture

To the houses of the holy

Smoking on them cigarettes'

This first bit might be a bit of a reach but I live in Glasgow (where Barrie lives/is from). There's a small venue called Oran Mor where Lana/Kassidy used to frequent, which has really ornate architecture and is an old church - in 2011 when Videos Games started to blow up she played an intimate gig there and Kassidy played several gigs there including one where they covered Video Games if my memory serves me correctly. If the song is about Barrie that could be a reference to a place that was special to them, and also since it used to be a church ties in with the houses of the holy part. I think there's an early interview where she talks about spending a lot of time in Glasgow.

'You were so obsessed with writing the next best American record

You did it all for fame'

I get that people think it can't be about Barrie because of the 'American' reference but I don't feel like that means that it needs to be from an American person, just the kind of global success that some iconic American albums have. Also the 'you did it all for the fame' lyrics could be to do with either their relationship, or him stepping out of her shadow or maybe even to do with him leaving his band and upping sticks to the states - he clearly did that to try and obtain some musical success for himself and left his long term band mates in his wake, and I wonder if it's a reference to that.

'You did it all for fame

Baby, how's life treating you now'

From what I know from living here and hearing stuff through mutual associates life is not treating him so well. He's back in Glasgow now, last I heard living with his family (before he moved with her he lived with the kassidy boys). He plays occasional local gigs around Glasgow at student unions and bars. Nowhere near the life style he would of had with Lana and if he was using her for fame or to boost his own connections and career maybe she feels bitter about that? Remember she put kassidy as the support on her tour, it's a big change to go from playing arenas all over Europe to tiny venues around the town you grew up in.

'How's that taste coming out'

This is a big reason I feel it's hinting at Barrie, cos of the famous 'my pussy tastes like Pepsi cola' lyric which she has said Barrie came up with. The story was something along the lines of him thinking allAmerican girls were magical with vaginas that tasted of Pepsi cola, I think this is quite a bitter line and again could tie in with the 'American' theme.

'He was seventies in spirit; nineties in his frame of mind'

Going back to Ultraviolence I think two songs there that are about Barrie are Brooklyn Baby and Shades of Blue. Brooklyn Baby references the 70s and also some of the actual clothes/style Barrie goes for is quite 70s. In terms of the 90s frame of mind I think this is referencing Kurt Cobain, who they both seem quite obsessed with. Shades of Blue seems to hint that Barrie has some troubles with depression, something she alluded to at the time of the break up in that interview she did too. To me 90s frame of mind is referencing Barrie's likeness to Kurt's depression.

Sorry if this would be better in the lanaysis thread I don't post really so not 100% on forum etiquette but just found the lyrics to the song interesting and there's chat in this thread about whether its about Barrie

I agree with the theory that the verses are about a man and the chorus is about herself. It makes sense: in the verses she talks about how "cool as heck" her man was and in the chorus she blames herself for ruining the relationship because she was "obsessed with writing the next best american record" and "did it all for fame". 

I AM MY ONLY GOD

tbh I wouldn't be surprised if we hear a lot of songs on this album that are about Barrie.. even though a lot of people see it as a 'stretch', I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is about barrie.. Just like looking at the overall timeline, if hm came out around a year after they broke up, and none of the songs on hm seemed to be about barrie (probably bc she wanted to respect their relationship), it would make sense for her to talk about it now seeing as they both seem to be over it. 

To me the context that makes the most sense is that the song is about Barrie. Here's why I think that:

This first bit might be a bit of a reach but I live in Glasgow (where Barrie lives/is from). There's a small venue called Oran Mor where Lana/Kassidy used to frequent, which has really ornate architecture and is an old church - in 2011 when Videos Games started to blow up she played an intimate gig there and Kassidy played several gigs there including one where they covered Video Games if my memory serves me correctly. If the song is about Barrie that could be a reference to a place that was special to them, and also since it used to be a church ties in with the houses of the holy part. I think there's an early interview where she talks about spending a lot of time in Glasgow.

You did it all for fame'

I get that people think it can't be about Barrie because of the 'American' reference but I don't feel like that means that it needs to be from an American person, just the kind of global success that some iconic American albums have. Also the 'you did it all for the fame' lyrics could be to do with either their relationship, or him stepping out of her shadow or maybe even to do with him leaving his band and upping sticks to the states - he clearly did that to try and obtain some musical success for himself and left his long term band mates in his wake, and I wonder if it's a reference to that.

'You did it all for fame

From what I know from living here and hearing stuff through mutual associates life is not treating him so well. He's back in Glasgow now, last I heard living with his family (before he moved with her he lived with the kassidy boys). He plays occasional local gigs around Glasgow at student unions and bars. Nowhere near the life style he would of had with Lana and if he was using her for fame or to boost his own connections and career maybe she feels bitter about that? Remember she put kassidy as the support on her tour, it's a big change to go from playing arenas all over Europe to tiny venues around the town you grew up in.

This is a big reason I feel it's hinting at Barrie, cos of the famous 'my pussy tastes like Pepsi cola' lyric which she has said Barrie came up with. The story was something along the lines of him thinking allAmerican girls were magical with vaginas that tasted of Pepsi cola, I think this is quite a bitter line and again could tie in with the 'American' theme.

Going back to Ultraviolence I think two songs there that are about Barrie are Brooklyn Baby and Shades of Blue. Brooklyn Baby references the 70s and also some of the actual clothes/style Barrie goes for is quite 70s. In terms of the 90s frame of mind I think this is referencing Kurt Cobain, who they both seem quite obsessed with. Shades of Blue seems to hint that Barrie has some troubles with depression, something she alluded to at the time of the break up in that interview she did too. To me 90s frame of mind is referencing Barrie's likeness to Kurt's depression.

Sorry if this would be better in the lanaysis thread I don't post really so not 100% on forum etiquette but just found the lyrics to the song interesting and there's chat in this thread about whether its about Barrie

Strongly-Agree-Yes-Reaction-Gif.gif

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Yeah maybe it isn't a single, cause like can you imagine a video for this?? I cant. Unless its just a promotional single. I imagine she WOULD want this Billy dude to hear it somehow

I can actually, it's like the beeps are a camera real, the video is in black and white or vintage reel, and it's flashbacks of her (or another actress) and a guy just doing couple-y things, kinda like the video games video or the carmen video.

Sounds a lot like the melody of 'Hangin' Around' which I adore. 

Also I'm nearly positive the "you know what I'm talking 'bout" line is from the same vocal take used in 'Because of You' :xcry:

Also, originally I wasn't going to allow a lyric thread for this yet, but I'm going to allow it since at this point the leak is pretty much everywhere & would be pointless to restrict a lyric thread.

Still, I am not allowing any download links as well as links directing to where the song can be found on the forum. Please do not request the song to be sent to you either.

maybe hangin around was a concept demo since it was recorded in 2015

i still don't get how she would be singing to herself. 

Honey, how's life treating you now

That it's over

Baby, how you feeling now

That I told you

We're through

why would she be saying that to herself? her fame is obviously not over and she seems in a more comfortable place with it than ever. she's not breaking up with herself. why would she tell herself "I told you?" 

Tell me how that treats you now

i mean, ouch. as mournful as the song is, there's also a slight feeling of vindication in that chorus. now she's sitting on her throne looking down at his mistakes and naming her own album Best American Record. does anyone else get that from it?

let me be who i'm meant to be

You did it all for fame'

'You did it all for fame

I love this theory! Especially the passage about Pepsi Cola.  :lolliney:

tumblr_n3uc3h7ELp1qlsak1o1_500.gif