Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

:awkney: 

yall already gettin in two different fights and its only noon 

YOU HAVENT HEARD THE FUCKING SONG YET

honestly some people on here got me heated pretending like they even know what to expect from the album/song they havent heard yet except for a few LQ snippets. I disliked salvatore until I finally listened to it with headphones in when Honeymoon came out and it totally changed for me. the album is 16 songs long and I think she did that on purpose so that there's something for everyone. The SB snippet she posted has basically nothing in it. But if you don't like it you don't have to listen to it/keep stanning. If you decide you won't like it beforehand though you probably won't and that's just how the human brain works. You definitely don't have to like everything she puts out I had my fair share of criticisms for Coachella but at least wait until you see her whole vision because we basically have no idea what it is yet and I bet she will surprise us with more continuity than we were expecting when the album drops. 

lmao i was being sarcastic

Oh okay then.

But anyways, what I originally meant was that evolving as an artist isn't the same as being innovative. Being innovative means introducing something that is totally new and has never been heard before, like, for instance, when Patti Smith mixed garage rock with poetry.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

Okay not to start a riot but UV isn't alternative rock. Using guitars here and there doesn't automatically make an album 'rock'. I'd say it's alternative pop with pop rock/surf undertones. Just a personal opinion pls don't kill me. :smokes:

What makes an album rock vs pop then?

To me, Ultraviolence is Dream Pop. According to wikipedia, Dream pop is "a subgenre of alternative rock and neo-psychedelia that developed in the 1980s The style is typified by a preoccupation with atmosphere and texture as much as melody" Common characteristics are breathy vocals and use of guitar effects, often producing a "wall of noise". To me this perfectly describes songs like West Coast, Cruel World, Shades of Cool, Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, and others. There's sometimes pretty heavy layering, and there's also a tinge of Psychedelia in Ultraviolence to me. It's more rock than "pop" if you define pop as being hook oriented, or intentionally appealing to a wide audience. If anything, Ultraviolence is the opposite. I remember when it came out and most Lana stans were so DONE because there were no "bops" and the choruses were "just the title repeated 3x" etc. Nothing on Ultraviolence is even as poppy as "Love" or "Lust for Life" by far. To me, its a very anti-pop album, which is surely why the record label was opposed to her releasing it.

I don't think Ultraviolence is necessarily "innovative", but for Lana, it was totally left field. Lana's approach to music and lyrics in the music industry right now is just not something that is well represented. People like to say Halsey and Melanie and the "Tumblr" girls are Lana rip offs, but they really aren't. They are very decisively pop, or indie-pop, but I see Lana as being more decisively alternative and venturing in and out of pop.

This is also just my opinion though.

honies it's time to let sis UV go. Awesome album and all you want but bbys it was 3 years ago. 

It's time to Focus (available on itunes now) on the present and future

And no, it isn't alternative rock. tho LDR6 better be one.

???, ?????????

What makes an album rock vs pop then?

To me, Ultraviolence is Dream Pop. According to wikipedia, Dream pop is "a subgenre of alternative rock and neo-psychedelia that developed in the 1980s The style is typified by a preoccupation with atmosphere and texture as much as melody" Common characteristics are breathy vocals and use of guitar effects, often producing a "wall of noise". To me this perfectly describes songs like West Coast, Cruel World, Shades of Cool, Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, and others. There's sometimes pretty heavy layering, and there's also a tinge of Psychedelia in Ultraviolence to me. It's more rock than "pop" if you define pop as being hook oriented, or intentionally appealing to a wide audience. If anything, Ultraviolence is the opposite. I remember when it came out and most Lana stans were so DONE because there were no "bops" and the choruses were "just the title repeated 3x" etc. Nothing on Ultraviolence is even as poppy as "Love" or "Lust for Life" by far. To me, its a very anti-pop album, which is surely why the record label was opposed to her releasing it.

Well dream pop, kinda. But I wouldn't say it's purely rock. That's what I was trying to say. And I wouldn't say guitars are the main instrument in the album, but rather its secondary from what I can tell.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Oh okay then.

But anyways, what I originally meant was that evolving as an artist isn't the same as being innovative. Being innovative means introducing something that is totally new and has never been heard before, like, for instance, when Patti Smith mixed garage rock with poetry.

ok, now I get what you meant and I agree a lot with you

Oh okay then.

might not have been innovative to the music world, but was innovative to lana music, which in the end is what is important. i don't give a fuck if lana invents a new genre, as long as she herself evolves and innovates for herself then i call that innovation

5 days until we hear Summer Bummer :hooker:

cant wait !!!!  :creep:  :flutter: