Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

What do you consider the worst of White Mustang?

I like the song, but imo, with the production it was given it couldn't reach the climax it needed, like the production doesn't even fit the vibe of the song from minute 1:32 to the end. I think it would've been even better if it was produced like 13 Beaches or Blue Velvet or Burning Desire; with violins instead of the trashy little beats, also the whistling was kind of unnecesary (or is it supposed to represent someone calling a horse by whistling?). I think this song needed to sound more "vintage" to live up to its potential, that way it could even be longer, the song we actually got works as a 2:45 minute song.

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

Speaking of White Mustang... that song seems to have a lot of replay value for me. It's short, nice to drive to and relatively GP friendly. It's a Lana song I don't mind playing around my friends who don't love her as much as I do. Same goes for Cherry and Summer Bummer. Heroin is my favorite song from this record (and in my top 3 favorite Lana songs ever) but I don't play it as much. It's so raw and emotional, I have to be in the right mindset to hear it (same with Change, another favorite of mine). I guess songs like White Mustang and Cherry are just easy to listen to!

I was actually playing LFL in my car the other day and my non-Lana-loving-friends responded really well to the Cherry-In My Feelings section of the album, which I thought was really interesting (being that we were on our way to a folk concert and they preferred the hip-hop inspired songs rather than darker and/or folksier songs like TNC and Heroin).

Like others have already said, there just doesn't seem to be that extra magic that is frequently found in Lana's music. There's nothing inherently bad about it, but also really nothing that elevates it. The melody lacks variety or spark, lana is kind of mumbling through a lot of the track (except the chorus), the piano chords are "nice" but feel like very standard piano chords for a melancholic/sad type song, and the general theme of Lana falling/unable to forget someone who just can't improve their situation and behavior feels a little too familiar, especially since there's nothing in the production or vocals that redeems that sense of familiarity. 

Kinda like the whistling, though. 

I've loved the song since she posted those snippets on Instagram but I imagined a "classier" song (I don't know how to describe it lol)

Btw, I'm still mad at that polish music company for the lies they told us  :oprah2:

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

Slipping off my boxers in soft filters

everybody said you're a killer but i 

couldn't help the way i was staring 

the day your towel dropped

the day i saw your white mustang

your white mustang

white mustang, said ur a wild mustang 

cuoi-vo-bung-voi-nhung-dieu-nhay-hai-huo

When I first heard the Instagram snippets she shared, I didn't really like what I heard because she sounded... I dunno, as if she didn't care? I heard no enthusiasm in her voice, and it's a bit the same in the recorded version in the album.

The piano chords in the beginning is ok, they match the melancholy in the lyrics ("lying in my bed is a bummer cause I didn't call when I got your number, I liked you a lot..."). But I'm really not liking the "everybody said you're a killer", it sounds too imaginative and forced on this album which is based a lot on her life and thoughts today. It might have sounded well in Born To Die with all her gangster fantasies, but here... it feels/sounds off to me.

And I don't like the chorus at all. I don't like the repetitive words because, once again, I hear no energy in it. It's a different thing in "God Knows I Tried" or "Sad Girl" because you can really hear her sorrow in it. But here... nope. I don't know if it's supposed to sound as if she's numb and just can't get out of the feeling of missing the chance to be with him, but it doesn't sound good (in my ears) in this song. She sounds the same almost throughout the whole song.

But it's not only Lana's way to sing it, I would like it if the instrumentals changed a little for the second verse and then a bit more for the second chorus (but I don't know how so I might just sound as a whiny fan now lol). I appreciate the wavy sounds that can be heard in "Radio", "Million Dollar Man" and "This is what makes us girls". You can hear them if you listen carefully I think, unless I hear it in my imagination. :creep:

So, well, White Mustang isn't my favorite on this album. I hoped it would sound better than what I heard on Instagram, but so far I haven't fallen in love with it yet.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Shades of Cool is better than the entire LFL album but its still a good album

lmaaao shades of cool is a mediocre lana song. Especially lyrically Lana fans are just overrating it cos they heard guitars for the first time in their lives.

Omg my taste is so superior.

When I first heard the Instagram snippets she shared, I didn't really like what I heard because she sounded... I dunno, as if she didn't care? I heard no enthusiasm in her voice, and it's a bit the same in the recorded version in the album.

The piano chords in the beginning is ok, they match the melancholy in the lyrics ("lying in my bed is a bummer cause I didn't call when I got your number, I liked you a lot..."). But I'm really not liking the "everybody said you're a killer", it sounds too imaginative and forced on this album which is based a lot on her life and thoughts today. It might have sounded well in Born To Die with all her gangster fantasies, but here... it feels/sounds off to me.

And I don't like the chorus at all. I don't like the repetitive words because, once again, I hear no energy in it. It's a different thing in "God Knows I Tried" or "Sad Girl" because you can really hear her sorrow in it. But here... nope. I don't know if it's supposed to sound as if she's numb and just can't get out of the feeling of missing the chance to be with him, but it doesn't sound good (in my ears) in this song. She sounds the same almost throughout the whole song.

But it's not only Lana's way to sing it, I would like it if the instrumentals changed a little for the second verse and then a bit more for the second chorus (but I don't know how so I might just sound as a whiny fan now lol). I appreciate the wavy sounds that can be heard in "Radio", "Million Dollar Man" and "This is what makes us girls". You can hear them if you listen carefully I think, unless I hear it in my imagination. :creep:

So, well, White Mustang isn't my favorite on this album. I hoped it would sound better than what I heard on Instagram, but so far I haven't fallen in love with it yet.

I think I know what you mean. But I guess each person's opinion is different so it's all cool.

Like for me, yeah White Mustang sort of takes a different direction in tone, but I think it's all supposed to be that way. It's already set in the verses of the track, that it's in the past, and I think she's just looking back at something that used to be so special to her. But now, even if she's still fond of what it was that made her feel a certain way, she knows that she can't change it, so she just takes it for what it was. That's why it's more subtle, underlying and less dramatic. There's a lot of emotion to be found within and without the narrative that kinda cradles you, making you think of what it was that she danced in situationally, but still ultimately left from.

That kind of warm nostalgia just makes me want to sway around to it. It stops time in more ways than one 

UV/Honeymoon

White Mustang might be a cute easily-forgettable song with mediocre lyrics, but it has the more commercial value than rest of the album tracks and it might boost up her sales.

I'm not saying that it is the best on the album. Heroin, BPBP, We Kept Dancing, 13 Beaches & Cherry (with the 'bitch' & 'fuck') are definitely more artistic but they're also experimental - something Lana stans would enjoy but not the radio.

While White Mustang is simple & digestable for the masses.

I think I know what you mean. But I guess each person's opinion is different so it's all cool.

Like for me, yeah White Mustang sort of takes a different direction in tone, but I think it's all supposed to be that way. It's already set in the verses of the track, that it's in the past, and I think she's just looking back at something that used to be so special to her. But now, even if she's still fond of what it was that made her feel a certain way, she knows that she can't change it, so she just takes it for what it was. That's why it's more subtle, underlying and less dramatic. There's a lot of emotion to be found within and without the narrative that kinda cradles you, making you think of what it was that she danced in situationally, but still ultimately left from.

That kind of warm nostalgia just makes me want to sway around to it. It stops time in more ways than one 

Oh wow. This was beautifully articulated. Let me try to listen to it with a different perspective tbh. 

Gawd, y'all celebrate some of the worst tracks on the record but come for WM?

It's cute, it's super-Lana-esque and it's perfect the way it is. Perhaps nothing too special or exciting but solid and beautiful and the fact it's not really going anywhere is solved by it's short duration.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

me deleting Love, Lust for Life, 13 Beaches, Cherry, White Mustang, Summer Bummer, Groupie Love, In My Feelings, Coachella- Woodstock In My Mind, God Bless America- And All The Beautiful Women In It, When the World Was At War We Just Kept Dancing, and Beautiful People' Beautiful Problems even though I was only told to delete 4 songs

giphy.gif

So you're throwing away the gorgeous roast dinner and only eating the brussel sprouts? Sis :derpna2:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

How is it that ya'll were obsessed with White Mustang when we had a 10 second snippet but are now hating it when we've got the full song?

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

White Mustang is the filler track to me.

Someone finally said it

It could easily pass as a nice UV track with a different production but LFL-wise it's just annoying and I'm just patiently waiting for the album to get to the second half  :hooker: 

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif