Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

lmfao ya know i already googled LANA FOLK MUSIC PICS ( what the hell was that super 70s shoot she did in the fucking birdcage swing with the hippy outfits)  but this is what i was looking for 

lana_young.png

This screams folk artist tbh

I did some quick and simple research on folk music.

Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_folk_music

Contemporary folk music refers to a wide variety of genres that emerged in the mid 20th century and afterwards which were associated with traditional folk music. Starting in the mid-20th century a new form of popular folk music evolved from traditional folk music. [...] The most common name for this new form of music is also "folk music", but is often called "contemporary folk music" or "folk revival music" to make the distinction. [...] Major performers who emerged from the 1940s to the early 1960s included Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, and Bob Dylan. The mid-1960s through the early 1970s was associated with large musical, political, lifestyle, and counterculture changes.

Definitions of "contemporary folk music" are generally vague and variable. [...] According to Hugh Blumenfeld, for the American folk scene:

“In general, it is Anglo-American, embracing acoustic and/or tradition-based music from the U.K. and the United States. [...] Musically, it is mainly Western European in its origins.”

This Wikipedia article also mentions artists like Emmylou Harris, The Corrs, Simon & Garfunkel.

Bruno Netti, Britannica.com https://www.britannica.com/art/folk-music

Folk music, type of traditional and generally rural music that originally was passed down through families and other small social groups. Typically, folk music, like folk literature, lives in oral tradition; it is learned through hearing rather than reading.

[...]

In the 20th century, transmission through recordings and mass media began to replace much of the face-to-face learning. In comparison with art music, which brings aesthetic enjoyment, and popular music, which (often along with social dancing) functions as entertainment, folk music is more often associated with other activities, such as calendric or life-cycle rituals, work, games, enculturation, and folk religion; folk music is also more likely to be participatory than presentational.

Generally, “folk music” refers to music that broad segments of the population—particularly the lower socioeconomic classes—understand, and with which they identify.

[...]

In the 20th century, further revivals associated folk music with political and social movements and blurred the musical distinctions among folk, art, and popular musics.

This website https://www.allmusic.com/subgenre/contemporary-folk-ma0000012267 lists artists like Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul And Mary, Robert Plant me Richard Thompson as examples of contemporary folk musicians.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Contemporary+Folk/

Contemporary folk music (often referred to just as "folk" by some Americans) consists of music derived, directly or indirectly, from folk traditions and influenced significantly by popular music. The genre is largely distinct from these folk traditions but still maintains a stylistic link and an ultimate lineage from the traditional forms. Unlike traditional folk music, the majority of contemporary folk songs are either new compositions or new arrangements of traditional songs which can involve substantial deviations from the source music - such as changes in instrumentation, including use of electric instruments.

One name that seem to pop up in every website/article that talks about (contemporary) folk music is Bob Dylan, so maybe just think of him when you think of folk music?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

LEAKED LYRICS TO LANA DEL REY'S NEW FOLK INSPIRED SINGLE "BARTENDER" !!!!!

You're giving me a million reasons to let you go

You're giving me a million reasons to quit the show

You're givin' me a million reasons

Give me a million reasons

Givin' me a million reasons

About a million reasons

If I had a highway, I would run for the hills

If you could find a dry way, I'd forever be still

But you're giving me a million reasons

About a million reasons

I bow down to pray

I try to make the worse seem better

Lord, show me the way

To cut through all his worn out leather

I've got a hundred million reasons to walk away

But baby, I just need one good one to stay

Head stuck in a cycle, I look off and I stare

It's like that I've stopped breathing, but completely aware

'Cause you've given me a million reasons

Giving me a million reasons

About a million reasons

And if you say something that you might even mean

It's hard to even fathom which parts I should believe

'Cause you've given me a million reasons

About a million reasons

I bow down to pray

Lord, show me the way

But baby, I just need one good one to stay

Aye-eee-ayeee-ay-ayyee

Oh, baby I'm bleedin', bleedin'

Aye-eee-ayeee-ay-ayyee

Can't you give me what I'm needin', needin'

Every heartbreak makes it hard to keep the faith

But baby, I just need one good one

Good one, good one, good one, good one, good one

When I bow down to pray

Lord, show me the way

But baby, I just need one good one, good one

Tell me that you'll be the good one, good one

Baby, I just need one good one to stay aye eee ayeee

Lana,where do you think you're going?

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

I did some quick and simple research on folk music.

One name that seem to pop up in every website/article that talks about (contemporary) folk music is Bob Dylan, so maybe just think of him when you think of folk music?

JONI MITCHELL, DOLLY PARTON, JOANNA NEWSOME, GILLIAN WELCH, TRACY CHAPMAN, CAROLE KING, TOM WAITS,NEIL YOUNG, THE MAMAS AND PAPAS, BEN HARPER, LEONARD COHEN, SIMON AND GARFUNKLE, CAT STEVENS, GRATEFUL DEAD,  GOD DAMN JAMES FRIGGIN TAYLOR SO MANY MORE THAN JUST BOB 

Waiting for Elle to see this folk mess and give everyone mass warning points for spamming the thread. :oopna:

this is a friendly debate 

e1s11.gif

JONI MITCHELL, DOLLY PARTON, JOANNA NEWSOME, GILLIAN WELCH, TRACY CHAPMAN, CAROLE KING, TOM WAITS,NEIL YOUNG, THE MAMAS AND PAPAS, BEN HARPER, LEONARD COHEN, SIMON AND GARFUNKLE, CAT STEVENS, GRATEFUL DEAD, GOD DAMN JAMES FRIGGIN TAYLOR SO MANY MORE THAN JUST BOB

Whoa, no need to yell. I did type down some of those names as examples too, I’m no expert, I just wrote what I found. :horror:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I could go for a lush acoustic Lana. Laid back but with hints of orchestration in the back. Straight up folk? Folk no. 

thats literally what we mean by folk sis...

as we've said folk is an umbrella term for many different types of it.

we want UV's level of cohesive with a folk backbone

9FXPxMb.gif

If anyone uses the 'f' word again, I'll ask Elle to ban you!

folk u gonna do abt it

9FXPxMb.gif