Manson

Looking back on SNL....

I must confess that I was not a big fan of her at the time. It's only with Paradise that I became obsessed. Her SNL performance made me «put on the breaks», thinking she couldn't sing live. But it was also the time of her life where she had a lot of stage fright. She sounds off-key, sure she is gorgeous, but she reminds me of a train-wrecked Dalida (the French singer that died in the 80s I think). 

Looking back on this, I believe that performance raised a lot of eyebrows, having everyone question her authenticity. That performance might have cooled everyone for a minute, but it also helped her soar gently into the stratosphere afterwards (singers that are an overnight success tend to become forgotten just as fast; I prefer how everything turned out for Lana: her fanbase grew with each era, slowly but surely). She redeemed herself so many times since. Her South American leg of the last tour alone proves it, as well as her recent albums (yes, even LFL ;) ). She conquered the stage, learned what was her comfort zone, and tamed her demons as well. With each tour she becomes more confident and at ease. The LA to The Moon Tour shooked me so many times. She is now a force of nature to be reckoned with. 

Both performances at SNL were a mess (Blue Jeans was worse than VG tho). Anyway, it's sad how the media treated her to the point she left America for 2 fucking years and she used to say she didn't find a reason to live there anymore if she wasn't working there because no one would call her to be at radios, in the cover of magazines or any stuff like that. It's also really sad the impact of those awful performances that still nowadays people use them to say she can't sing instead of listening to any recent performance... Anyway, no doubt the performance were bad, but she's improved A LOT

It was terrible. She was so nervous and trying to sing in a way that would make her unique, or ''be taken seriously'', as she said that she lost control. Not that she is not unique, Lana's voice and singing style are truly one of a kind, but in this performances (or at least only in blue jeans) she really pushed it too far. And about this being a publicity stunt..do you really think Lana would do that to herself?...following the instruction of her label telling her to sing bad just for publicity, being hated by almost an entire country (maybe I'm exagerating here but you know what I mean) and the most fake, upsetting and frustratingly false things being written about you all over the internet? Nah....She was just hella nervous for being on big television in the states. 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Ok, but I'm not gonna lie, when sang like Shakira it was so funny and iconic, I've never heard to her voice so strong.  :flutter:

Anyways, I think the first verses and the first chorus were fine, she sang with a very deep voice to make her voice in that night similar with the studio version's.

But then, after it, the rest of the performance turned cancer, we can realize that she was very nervous and she was trying to do it well.

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Btw, I forgot to talk about these performances being a "stunt". I don't know, call me innocent since I might be, but I don't think Lana would ever do this to herself. We all know how much all of the criticism affected her and how hard it was for her to handle the fame and everything that came with it. Is it a great way to get people talking about you? Yes, it is. Do I believe Lana would like to get people talking about how bad she sang? Absolutely not

I think it was a mix of her not sounding very good and being nervous, and the fact that all SNL performances generally sound like shit. Does anyone have HQ links to the performances? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

On a note that's not about her singing, her hair ruined that beautiful dress. The middle part + volume was not a good combo

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

On a note that's not about her singing, her hair ruined that beautiful dress. The middle part + volume was not a good combo

I know right

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

i just think it's incredible that one bad performance had an enormous impact on the entirety of her career... it really killed her confidence. She's a lot better now, but like others have mentioned, there was years where she was nothing but a joke to all major media outlets... constantly battered with hate. she kept talking about wanting to quit singing, and I don't blame her-- It was really, really harsh. and now all these hypocrites love her, but damn

it's just to weird to think that if this performance and the backlash that followed never happened, Lana would be so different and would have taken a diff path. then again, maybe she would have faded from the public eye quicker. who knows!

in all honesty it was horrible but she has proved so many times after she has a beautiful voice and is 100% capable of singing amazingly live. the way the media treated her after the performance was awful and i can completely understand why she doesn't do tv anymore even tho she has improved immensely since  

I remember this so vividly. It was literally like a week or 2 after I got into Lana. I hadn't even heard that she was gonna be on SNL so I wasn't watching it, and my mom came into my room crying from laughing so hard and she was like "you have to come see this bitch on SNL she sounds terrible" and when she said her name was Lana I was like...... omg noooo. I was confused as fuck when I watched the performances. Like others have said, Blue Jeans was WAY worse than Video Games. Especially the verses like holy shit. My assumption at the time was that she'd probably been really nervous and maybe drank some alcohol to calm her nerves and just had one too many or something. Looking back, it was blown way out of proportion and the media was just ruthless. I went to school that monday after and all my friends were talking about it and saying the performances were funnier than any of the skits from that episode. I was really sad. It's insane to think that was over 6 years ago. But she's proven her vocal capability since then and I feel like she's redeemed herself in the public eye.

Didn't she do Video Games on Letterman a couple weeks later, and just knock it out of the park?

Yes! And shortly after that also did VG on American Idol and did a fantastic job. I think both of those performances gained her a lot of respect after the SNL incident.

TjmiIK4.png

@Formation

What, you really think so? I thought she looked stunning head to toe. And I usually really dislike her 2012 look. Something was off about her face, maybe it's makeup or the brighter hair. 

@TheBoss

You're my Hero! Thank you so much! I will download right after work!  :defeated:

​ive noticed that all SNL performances are SHIT. Beyonce or MJ could go on their stage and it would be tragic. I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose. Amine and Billie Eilish' perfs, weren't the best things to watch yet they have good stage presence??? #conspiracytheory

and yeah, BJ was worse than VG. Unfortunately this fiasco is the pinnacle of Lana to average American consumers. Anytime there is an article about her on facebook posted by billboards or Pitchfork, there is a reference of this dismay in the comments and that she's fake [8 years later ppl are still on that mentality]

A bittersweet experience. It made her name circle around.. for the bad reason :/

​ive noticed that all SNL performances are SHIT. Beyonce or MJ could go on their stage and it would be tragic. I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose. Amine and Billie Eilish' perfs, weren't the best things to watch yet they have good stage presence??? #conspiracytheory

and yeah, BJ was worse than VG. Unfortunately this fiasco is the pinnacle of Lana to average American consumers. Anytime there is an article about her on facebook posted by billboards or Pitchfork, there is a reference of this dismay in the comments and that she's fake [8 years later ppl are still on that mentality]

A bittersweet experience. It made her name circle around.. for the bad reason :/

I agree, something is off with SNL. They are mostly known for their musical acts yet they sound as bad as every random TV show with their weird muffled, one dimensional sounding mic filter. 

Crazy that any artist would freak out to perform there, yet no one has called them out for that.