partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

i still wonder about that very first version of West Coast. I remember when she posted a muted video of her swinging in the room and it was supposed to be the music video of this early West Coast version.

Does anyone know if the og demo is actually the radio remix we already have? 

7 minutes ago, bluedealer said:

i still wonder about that very first version of West Coast. I remember when she posted a muted video of her swinging in the room and it was supposed to be the music video of this early West Coast version.

Does anyone know if the og demo is actually the radio remix we already have? 

If it isn’t the same, then the Radio Mix is very close to the demo.

1 hour ago, lilac heaven said:

my prediction for a possible recording timeline

Early 2013

• Money Power Glory (Greg Kurstin talked about how this song was recorded “very early on” in the album process, and the version on the album is untouched from that first day)

April-May 2013

• Cherry Blossom

• Nectar of the Gods

• Living Legend

June 2013

• Unidentified Flying Bill (confirmed to be recorded June 2013 by NightBird Studios)

• Flipside (confirmed to be recorded June 2013 by NightBird Studios)

• Black Beauty demo

Fall 2013

• Nowels version of Shades of Cool

• Nowels version of Sad Girl

• Nowels version of Brooklyn Baby

• I Can Fly demo

• Is This Happiness

• West Coast radio mix

• Old Money

• Fucked My Way Up to the Top demo

• Ultraviolence demo

December 2013-January 2014

• Pretty When You Cry

• Guns and Roses

- Cruel World written during PWYC/G&R session

January-February 2014

• Cruel World final

• Ultraviolence final

• Shades of Cool final

• Brooklyn Baby final

• West Coast final

• Sad Girl final (instrumental re-recorded only, vocal track is the same as the Nowels demo)

• Florida Kilos

• Fucked My Way Up to the Top final

• The Other Woman

• Black Beauty final (vocals not re-recorded, Paul Epworth production just added to the song considering vocal track is the same as demo)

Just some further information:

Black Beauty was recorded on the 5th January 2013

West Coast demo was recorded by April 2013

Old Money was recorded in 2012

tumblr_mx1rynpDqV1rh0xc7o1_500.gif

1 minute ago, Unknown said:

wait omg i’ve never heard of Old Money being from 2012, where did that come from?

1 minute ago, Unknown said:

Omg! Thank you so much for sharing this. <3 Do you have any other intel on recording dates for songs (from any era) that you can share? 

In terms of a timeline I don't know if this is any help, but this is the officially released Ultraviolence songs arranged by songwriters (assuming Lana had songwriting sessions) allowing us to kinda see who helped create what song and whether or not any dates can be pinpointed to a session.

Spoiler

Cruel World (Grant • Stranathan)

Pretty When You Cry (Grant • Stranathan)

Flipside (Grant • Stranathan)

Ultraviolence (Grant • Heath)

Fucked My Way... (Grant • Heath)

Old Money (Grant • Heath)

Black Beauty (Grant • Nowels)

Cherry Blossom (Grant • Nowels)

Guns And Roses (Grant • Nowels)

I Can Fly (Grant • Nowels)

Is This Happiness (Grant • Nowels)

Sad Girl (Grant • Nowels)

Shades Of Cool (Grant • Nowels)

West Coast (Grant • Nowels)

Brooklyn Baby (Grant • O'Neill)

If You Lie Down With Me (Grant • O'Neill)

Living Legend (Grant • O'Neill)

Nectar Of The Gods (Grant • O'Neill)

Money Power Glory (Grant • Kurstin)

Florida Kilos (Grant • Auerbach)

Wait For Life (Grant • Haynie)

And same again, except this time by studio in which the songs were recorded, I know a bulk of the Rick Nowels songs were rerecorded with Dan Auerbach and so that doesn't help greatly.

Also the Blue Banisters credits don't list any recording details of the Ultraviolence outtakes, just mastering details.

Spoiler

Cruel World (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

Ultraviolence (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

Shades Of Cool (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

Brooklyn Baby (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

Sad Girl (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

Fucked My Way... (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

The Other Woman (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

Florida Kilos (Easy Eye Sound, Nashville)

West Coast (The Bridge, Glendale)

Old Money (The Bridge, Glendale)

Pretty When You Cry (Electric Lady Studios, New York)

Guns And Roses (Electric Lady Studios, New York)

Money Power Glory (Echo Studio, Los Angeles)

Black Beauty (Church Studios, London)

Flipside (Nightbird Studios, Los Angeles)

I know this is information we already had but maybe compiling it in this way might help?

1 minute ago, The Siren said:

im gonna ping BOZ on ATRL and see if they answer, any specific questions i should ask? (for clarity, etc)

can you ask what he knows about Shades of Cool? obviously the demo was first recorded in that November 2013 session, but did it exist in any form before then?

12 minutes ago, The Siren said:

im gonna ping BOZ on ATRL and see if they answer, any specific questions i should ask? (for clarity, etc)

*i wont post it until i get the more important questions first*

so far i have a draft going

13 minutes ago, The Siren said:

oh also one other thing sorry 😭 I know Dan A has a writing credit on Florida Kilos, but I’m curious if that’s just because he added/changed a few lyrics? I saw some rumors that it was actually written in 2013 with Harmony Korine, and then once the Spring Breakers sequel was cancelled she decided to record it for UV. I feel like the timeline is kind of weird and messy for it to not have been written until early 2014. especially considering it was only released a few months later; I feel like it would’ve taken longer for it to be off the table unless it was scrapped for SB2 immediately after it was written and the film was just cancelled later

3 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

oh also one other thing sorry 😭 I know Dan A has a writing credit on Florida Kilos, but I’m curious if that’s just because he added/changed a few lyrics? I saw some rumors that it was actually written in 2013 with Harmony Korine, and then once the Spring Breakers sequel was cancelled she decided to record it for UV. I feel like the timeline is kind of weird and messy for it to not have been written until early 2014 

more the merrier, we can make a long(er) list and cut out the less important filler :lmaoney:

*draft*

Spoiler

@ BlackoutZone can we have some clarity on these please?

specifically the timeline between 2012-2014

• is there an early tracklist of Ultraviolence floating around and can it be (re)located and shared?
  • how can we separate paradise outtakes from early UV outtakes and from a possible scrapped second album between P and UV?
  • Money Power Glory and Old Money are 2012, from before Paradise was released?
  • any early form(s) of Shades of Cool? obviously the demo was first recorded in that November 2013 session, but did it exist in any form before then?
  • how much did Dan change on Florida Kilos to warrant a writing credit? rumors have it that it was written in 2013 with Harmony Korine, and then once the Spring Breakers sequel was cancelled Lana decided to record it for UV. the timeline feels kind of weird and messy for it to have been written in early 2014

3 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

oh also one other thing sorry 😭 I know Dan A has a writing credit on Florida Kilos, but I’m curious if that’s just because he added/changed a few lyrics? I saw some rumors that it was actually written in 2013 with Harmony Korine, and then once the Spring Breakers sequel was cancelled she decided to record it for UV. I feel like the timeline is kind of weird and messy for it to have been written in early 2014 

Okay this is a good question because I’ve always wondered about her alleged involvement with Spring Breakers, and it gets even more confusing as to where that even came from, because of this excerpt from her interview with James Franco for V Magazine in 2015 -

JF So, what about a song like “Florida Kilos”? 

LDR It’s funny you should bring up that song because that’s actually the only co-write on [Ultraviolence]. And that is Harmony Korine. He wanted me to write a tune about his movie that I think you’re going to be in [The Trap]. It’s about cocaine cowboys. So for fun, that was something where he was just spitting off insane lyrics and asking me to put them into melodies. That song in particular is not autobiographical.

Brilliant, brilliant. I absolutely fucking ADORE this type of information.

Okay so I'm trying to understand the Paradise-Ultraviolence in-between space, and this is sort of what I came up with.

Paradise EP - as is, plus Young & Beautiful and Life Is Beautiful.

Tropico (phantom album, roughly 2013) I haven't crafted a tracklist for this, it's just the songs that, according to the previous 8 pages, my brain decided that could fit the most?:

• Wild One - being on an early UV draft listed as "Mike"
  • I Don't Wanna Go - the reference of an early title "Lake Placid" and not sure if my mind is playing games with me but - was this also from an early UV draft as Wild One?
  • Nectar of the Gods - someone in the earliest pages mentioned the presence of Spanish guitars so
  • Dragonslayer - Spanish guitars at its best
  • Unidentified Flying Bill - Spanish guitars
  • Living Legend - close sessions to Nectar and UFB + guitars
  • Cherry Blossom - close sessions to Nectar and UFB
  • Flipside - potentially - recorded close to UFB in the same studio
  • JFK
  • Starry Eyed
  • Angels Forever, Forever Angels
  • Hollywood
  • I Talk to Jesus
  • Say Yes to Heaven (?)
  • Black Beauty (Demo)

And then Ultraviolence as is, but we have some tracks that we definitely know have been scrapped from it (my mind tells me these are exclusive to the later stages of UV due to most of these songs being reworked with Auerbach / contemplated in late stages, but not sure), which are:

• Say Yes to Heaven
  • Your Girl
  • Cult Leader
  • Fine China
  • I Can Fly
  • If You Lie Down with Me
  • Let Me Love You Like a Woman

I like to think any of the Tropico list would eventually have been repurposed for Ultraviolence.

So I'll probably get to add Tropico as an album in my collection and it's just iconic :flutter: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

4 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Okay this is a good question because I’ve always wondered about her alleged involvement with Spring Breakers, and it gets even more confusing as to where that even came from, because of this excerpt from her interview with James Franco for V Magazine in 2015 -

Adding to this - it seems the movie that Florida Kilos was intended for was formally scrapped! 
https://www.nylon.com/articles/what-happened-to-harmony-korines-the-trap/amp

12 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

it’s especially weird because if Florida Kilos was written for SB2 in January-February 2014, it had to have been scrapped for the movie only a month or so later. I just did some research and J*mes Fr*nco actually said this about SB The Second Coming in May 2014 when posters about it were being put up:

This is not being done with Harmony Korine or my consent. The original was wholly Harmony’s creation and these producers are capitalizing on that innovative film to make money on a weak sequel. I want everyone to know that whoever is involved in the sequel is jumping on board a poison ship. It will be a terrible film, with a horrible reason d’être: to make money off someone else’s creativity. Can you imagine someone making the sequel to “Taxi Driver” without Scorsese and De Niro’s consents? Insanity! I’m speaking up for Harmony and his original vision and for any creative person who cares about preserving artistic integrity.

So by that point, it didn’t seem like Harmony Korine even had any involvement the Spring Breakers sequel anyway. Either everything fell apart like a month after Florida Kilos was written, Florida Kilos was written a while before then, or it wasn’t for Spring Breakers at all and was for a different movie (which still was probably scrapped by then if Lana was able to put the song out only 4 months after writing it)

Just now, The Siren said:

@Glitter Boy where would you put I Talk to Jesus and Yes to Heaven? and would Don't Stop and Queen of Hearts be for Tropico?

forgot I Talk to Jesus but that could fit into the Tropico list I did. I consider Yes to Heaven as an UV-exclusive outtake but I'm not really sure lol. It could go along with Tropico as well.

as for Queen of Hearts and Don't Stop, I don't consider them to be part of any of these sessions, they're just too random and don't fit sonically so I keep them out.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

6 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

it’s especially weird because if Florida Kilos was written for SB2 in January-February 2014, it had to have been scrapped for the movie only a month or so later. I just did some research and J*mes Fr*nco actually said this about SB The Second Coming in May 2014 when posters about it were being put up:

This is not being done with Harmony Korine or my consent. The original was wholly Harmony’s creation and these producers are capitalizing on that innovative film to make money on a weak sequel. I want everyone to know that whoever is involved in the sequel is jumping on board a poison ship. It will be a terrible film, with a horrible reason d’être: to make money off someone else’s creativity. Can you imagine someone making the sequel to “Taxi Driver” without Scorsese and De Niro’s consents? Insanity! I’m speaking up for Harmony and his original vision and for any creative person who cares about preserving artistic integrity.

So by that point, it didn’t seem like Harmony Korine even had any involvement the Spring Breakers sequel anyway. Either everything fell apart like a month after Florida Kilos was written, Florida Kilos was written a while before then, or it wasn’t for Spring Breakers and all and was for a different movie (which still was probably scrapped by then if Lana was able to put the song out only 4 months after recording it)

Omg :rip: It’s so meta that actual chaos would follow a movie as chaotic as SB and its successors. I think a combination of all the possibilities you mentioned was the case.

Like, she wrote it for SB2 in January 2014 when Harmony Korine asked her to, but then SB2 got scrapped and Harmony Korine then pivoted to work on The Trap (which was described as part of his “Florida trilogy” that previously included Spring Breakers) but then it was quickly confirmed that that film wouldn’t get green-lit for its original November 2014 release so Lana just put it on Ultraviolence. I guess the film got picked up again briefly in 2015 for a tentative release date based on what she said to James Franco in the V Mag Interview, but obviously failed to materialize again. Thank goodness tbh, because Florida Kilos is a highlight and I’m glad we got to hear it sooner than later.