Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Do you guys listen to a whole album when you wanna listen one song in particular? I don't care about cohesion because at the end of the day we all listen to her music on shuffle. Having a cohesive body of work is nice, yes, but it doesn't really matter if you'll end up listening to Venice Bitch and then Cherry and then Radio and then Religion and then Flipside :rip:

No, because that doesn't make sense. If I want to listen to Old money for example, why would I go on and listen to 9 other tracks before that?  

I actually don't listen to Lana on shuffle. I mostly listen to the full albums. The only times when I play her on ''shuffle' (it isn't quite that) is when I'm hanging around on Youtube and a Lana song appears as recommended (like VB) and I go to listen to it and then I would listen to 2 more songs that get further recommended from her( like MAC and WC), but then I tipically stop. Sometimes the whole UV tracklist gets slowly recommended with each video and I end up listening to the whole album, lol.

However, I've never really listened to Lana on shuffle. Even when I'm binging on youtube, I always  consecutively listen to songs that work together and that are likely from the same album. 

Listening to WC, in my feelings, born to die, old money, young and beautiful, diet mountain dew, honeymoon, FMWUTTT, and so on is just a fucking mess and I personally could never. 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Also, I am with the people for a longer tracklist and here's why. Tipically, Lana makes albums that are cohesive, all her albums (except LFL) are cohesive and focus on one thing, one sound, one vibe overall.  So if NFR is like that, (which is most likely) I would like 20 songs please. You can always select the songs you like the most and also, on a cohesive album like that, you're not gonna skip more than 2 songs on a full listen so if 1-2 tracks are different it's not that big of a deal at all. Lana proved us with UV, Honeymoon and even BTD that she can do awesome long cohesive albums. (I counted the deluxe tracks for UV and BTD obv) 

However, if she decided to write about multiple subjects on an album, like politics, personal change, love relationships, and fan interaction (like LFL), and collaborate with 10 people who each come with their own influence and if all sorts of sounds are implied, then I want a 10-11-long tracklist album, simply because LFL turned out to be a fucking mess that I don't even listen to anymore. The only LFL tracks I still listen to are Love, Heroin, 13 beaches and Cherry. 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Do you guys listen to a whole album when you wanna listen one song in particular? I don't care about cohesion because at the end of the day we all listen to her music on shuffle. Having a cohesive body of work is nice, yes, but it doesn't really matter if you'll end up listening to Venice Bitch and then Cherry and then Radio and then Religion and then Flipside :rip:

I only do that when im drinking and i wanna bop my bussy to her whole discography. Other than that i'd prefer to listen to her albums from start to finish rather than random tracks- which i feel would take away the importance of her music and lose its spark

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

i vaguely remember her saying HtD was the last one they recorded/did for the album, i feel like she might've had it written/sequenced, maybe a demo recording..but i don't really know. ever since Change i can't tell if the snippets are live moments (like how Change's IG snippets were practically recorded the night she got home from completing the record) or old videos

cause the HtD snippet we got was pure piano, but it seemed like they were producing/mixing it WEEKS after on IG Live, and that also begs the question if most the snippets we got are pure piano demos Jack & her recorded beforehand to fully produce next time he was in town (since we know he's in Cali like 1 week every month)- so we could have 11 + HtD being the absolute final track, with them mixing and sequencing things before physical copies are made OR HtD was the 11th and last track written/recorded that she fully finished about a month ago. i really don't know cause she don't ever SAY anything.

if we're talking theoretical though, would y'all prefer an 11/12 track album or something longer like LfL had 16 (should've been 18)?

The more Lana, the merrier.

But if NFR has 11 or 12 tracks, it would be perfect since VB is almost 10 minute-long. HM is 60-min long and I think Uv is as well if we don’t count the bonus tracks. So NFR being 60 minute-long would be nice and cohesive.

It depends. When a new album is out, I need to listen to it form cover to cover to get the story / feeling of it. But at the moment, I listen to a selected faves from each album and it works incredibly well. Sure the feeling is different, but I am a bit surprised to see that the tracks flow very well together,

Even when they are not close to the ones I am used to (VB, followed by 13 Beaches, Stargirl and Cherry sound amazing). But then again, she has always been cinematic in her music: each era changes a bit the genre, but the emotions feel sincere.

Ideally we'd get a long album that's still cohesive and doesn't have fillers, it's not like those two criteria are necessarily mutually exclusive. Alternatively I'd love her to go the Ultraviolence route again – release an 11-track album that is one body of art and make four or five extra songs available for the fans (bonus tracks etc.), but unfortunately Lana doesn't seem to be a fan of deluxe editions (anymore).

The big problem I have with the "quality > quantity" argument is that not everyone defines a good or bad track the same way. Everybody has a different taste, so the song that one person might consider the absolute high point of an album might be one that someone else usually skips. That's why, if I had to choose between a short, cohesive album and a longer, less cohesive one, I'd probably go for the latter. There's nothing stopping you from making a ten-track playlist of your personal favourites for whenever you want a shorter listening experience. Because let's be honest, there are hardly any albums out there that don't have at least one song you don't really like.

For me, personally, the main issue with Lust For Life isn't that it's an incohesive, "messy" album (although that's definitely a problem, too), but that the material in general wasn't up to her usual standard. That's why I find it hard to even make a short playlist that I would enjoy listening to on a regular basis – the songs are just not as good as they could (should) be.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Don't be gay, stream Born To Die today.

the most decent post in this thread

Idk about you guys but I think Lana is perfectly capable of bringing quantity and quality, she's done it before with Born To Die and Ultraviolence.

she also had more time to put those together/had songs to choose from whereas now she's not going to back catalogue from 2007 for a new album

also "everyone" is still up her ass about lfl being messy when she said she made it for the fans so y'all should be blaming yourselves with the lengths the quality and the leaks 

:byeh8rs2:  :kiss2:  :shh2:

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

I only do that when im drinking and i wanna bop my bussy to her whole discography. Other than that i'd prefer to listen to her albums from start to finish rather than random tracks- which i feel would take away the importance of her music and lose its spark

yep, i sometimes make playlists of her upbeat songs to try and get me into the mood but what it really does is takes me further away from her music. then i delete the playlist and go back to listening to Honeymoon.

Get Free has been her best closing track in her main discography to date.

I love Get Free to death but I still think The Lucky Ones is the best closing ever, even though it's a bonus track. Something about this song makes me feel like something is ending, that she ended a chapter of her life and is going onto the next. I'm really attatched to that song and idek why lol but Swan Song would be the unbeatable one if DLMBM wasn't the last one from Honeymoon.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

she also had more time to put those together/had songs to choose from whereas now she's not going to back catalogue from 2007 for a new album

also "everyone" is still up her ass about lfl being messy when she said she made it for the fans so y'all should be blaming yourselves with the lengths the quality and the leaks 

:byeh8rs2:  :kiss2:  :shh2:

i don’t really understand this because she still had 19, probably more i’m forgetting about, songs to choose from for LFL, but she made it into 16 that still didn’t fit, so more songs does not equal better choice for a shorter cleaner album.

every fan made ‘fixed’ LFL tracklist is better than what we actually got.

Also she had far more time to make LFL than she did to make UV, also when you include all the other things she was involved in between Paradise and UV.

yep, i sometimes make playlists of her upbeat songs to try and get me into the mood but what it really does is takes me further away from her music. then i delete the playlist and go back to listening to Honeymoon.

Her music is definitely meant to be heard as a cohesive body of work, her albums are more like movies than different songs in a tracklist. Her story telling is beyond incredible

Her music is definitely meant to be heard as a cohesive body of work, her albums are more like movies than different songs in a tracklist. Her story telling is beyond incredible

As @@GeminiLanaFan said, when she releases a new album I only listen to the album as a whole. But when I get used to the songs I don't matter listening to them on shuffle. Maybe thats why I don't care about cohesion so much and maybe that's why I'm one of the few around here who loves Lust For Life  :smokes:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

I love Get Free to death but I still think The Lucky Ones is the best closing ever, even though it's a bonus track. Something about this song makes me feel like something is ending, that she ended a chapter of her life and is going onto the next. I'm really attatched to that song and idek why lol but Swan Song would be the unbeatable one if DLMBM wasn't the last one from Honeymoon.

Im glad to see some lucky ones love, i was so shook when i joined this forum to find that so many people hated it. It was always a personal favourite of mine, its a really special song to me too

Idk about you guys but I think Lana is perfectly capable of bringing quantity and quality, she's done it before with Born To Die and Ultraviolence.

she also did it on LFL and one day you deaf gays will realize

Lucky Ones is her best closing track in her main discography to date.

Tea

i don’t really understand this because she still had 19, probably more i’m forgetting about, songs to choose from for LFL, but she made it into 16 that still didn’t fit, so more songs does not equal better choice for a shorter cleaner album.

Also she had far more time to make LFL than she did to make UV, also when you include all the other things she was involved in between Paradise and UV.

Yeah, I think it’s better when her albums are more rushed cuz she can’t go in and make changes

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

this is exactly what i meant by '"everyone" is still up her ass about lfl being messy'

for btd she had an array of songs to choose from to make for her 'debut' in addition to ones she composed for it so my point is that she now has to make new songs for each new album, can it be a reworking of a song she thought she would include somewhere else? sure but it's not going to be 'pawn shop blues' is it? no

she was busy between honeymoon and lfl too? why wouldnt she be busy? and uv was reworked in two weeks when she met dan so time really doesnt mean anything if the album doesnt sound right to her. lfl involved so much more than just her so i'd imagine it took longer but she also added songs last minute so like the time argument doesnt really change anything about her making it for the fans. we all got a longer tracklist, collabs and more beats so why should she ever listen to us again when no one seems to be happy with it???

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking