Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

I wonder how much the project has changed and evolved since she originally had it planned for release before NFR. After listening so many times, it really does feel like it was meant to come after NFR.

Moments like "stupid apartment complex" wouldn't be as special without Mariner's, and the return to Sylvia Plath in Bare Feet on Linoleum is even more powerful after Hope.

What she says about people who feed off of paradise seems like an introduction to themes she will explore in Chemtrails over the Country Club.

Also, the super stressful ending doesn't sound like it would be leading into something like NFR. Now I expect the new album to be a lot darker than I was originally thinking. As she says, she's gone scorched earth and choosing to end on a note this dark makes me think the project is going to be a little more unhinged.

UGH you make me want to listen to it so bad *sobs*

~INSTA1.gif

I wonder how much the project has changed and evolved since she originally had it planned for release before NFR. After listening so many times, it really does feel like it was meant to come after NFR.

Moments like "stupid apartment complex" wouldn't be as special without Mariner's, and the return to Sylvia Plath in Bare Feet on Linoleum is even more powerful after Hope.

What she says about people who feed off of paradise seems like an introduction to themes she will explore in Chemtrails over the Country Club.

Also, the super stressful ending doesn't sound like it would be leading into something like NFR. Now I expect the new album to be a lot darker than I was originally thinking. As she says, she's gone scorched earth and choosing to end on a note this dark makes me think the project is going to be a little more unhinged.

So incredibly put. This is so true and you’re absolutely right - I think this is the perfect bridge between Norman and Chemtrails and I’m hoping Bare Feet on Linoleum’s intensity, urgency, and darkness matched with Paradise is Very Fragile’s commentary and disenchantment with “the culture,” so to speak, is reflected in the upcoming record. I very much foresee it being that way and that makes me so much more excited!

Im looking at all the beautiful NFR-VBBOTG tracklists you are making and considering all the subtle connections between both projects, and Im thinking about how much power do they have together and how much of a one thing are they actually. Even if the scheduling of it all has been terrible, its a huge event to be able to see finally the full picture Lana was trying to depict when working on both the album and the poetry, and which has got to make all of its sense just right now, at least for me. What a intrincated, rich yet humble vision she has developed about the world and its perks, always from the perspective she gets to perceive it. Im willing to see whatever life brings to her from now on. She's a weird, bizarre, genius artist.

Can you sign up for the Audible free trial and get it that way?

i can't. i had audible for years and cancelled it a few months ago so i can't get another free account, unfortunately. :/

are you waiting to listen?

i have no choice. money is tight rn. :/

~INSTA1.gif

So incredibly put. This is so true and you’re absolutely right - I think this is the perfect bridge between Norman and Chemtrails and I’m hoping Bare Feet on Linoleum’s intensity, urgency, and darkness matched with Paradise is Very Fragile’s commentary and disenchantment with “the culture,” so to speak, is reflected in the upcoming record. I very much foresee it being that way and that makes me so much more excited!

Yes exactly! The combo of the final two tracks is really stunning and thrilling, and I really think that she's deliberately placed things that way to lead into Chemtrails, especially given how mysterious she is keeping the album.

In LA who am I to love You- she might be saying , "I love Sac so why..." people from Sacramento call it Sac

that’s what I thought but I didn’t say anything cuz I thought y’all would think I’m deaf :toofunny: but I definitely think she’s saying Sac

sgopYhV.gif

Now I’m really looking forward to the other poems (in the book) which are not featured on the audiobook.

Plus there will be another spoken word album for the second poetry book!

I really think this (writing poetry and releasing it) is going to be a regular thing for Lana.

that’s what I thought but I didn’t say anything cuz I thought y’all would think I’m deaf :toofunny: but I definitely think she’s saying Sac

i don’t think she’s ever been here before the show here last October. and even then she drove in right before and then left right after back to SF

Now I’m really looking forward to the other poems (in the book) which are not featured on the audiobook.

I really think this (writing poetry and releasing it) is going to be a regular thing for Lana.

i hope so!

~INSTA1.gif

Imagine if she ever has kids and releases a children’s book of nursery rhymes. I would raise my kids on it like it’s the bible

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

Imagine if she ever has kids and releases a children’s book of nursery rhymes. I would raise my kids on it like it’s the bible

get in your beds u little fuckers its time for bed, i say to my children while puffing on a cigarette and popping the audio book into a cd player

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

By poem: Paradise is very fragile, title poem, and LA Who am I to Love you are my favorites. By instrumental: The Land of 1000 Fires and Never to Heaven are especially ethereal  :thirst: This was a surprisingly thought provoking and original piece, I definitely wish it was released a bit earlier to give us an idea of where she was emotionally during the time leading up to/ around/ and the time after NFR's release, but in the words of a legend: "late is better than never"  :hooker:

I now understand why she wanted to put the poetry album/book out before NFR.

Me too... I went to listen to my few favorites from NFR after I had listened to Violet for the second time and it just made sense in a way.

I've only listened to the thing twice but I don't think I can really speak much on how I feel about the poems at the moment, as I should probably read them myself and I'll probably wait until the hardcover to do so. I will say that so far I've enjoyed listening to them more towards the end and the saxophone in the background during some of them is annoyingly distracting as I hate sax. SportCruiser is a highlight for me at the moment. On my second time I just laid on our bed under a blanket with eyes closed and her poetry reading is just so soothing to listen to

I wonder if the instrumentals from violet are gonna resemble that of chemtrails over the country club... i’m definitely here for it... the static radio gives this feel of the 60s (i believe) where the radios and televisions had that raw audio with static, this can mimic that of country clubs in that era of the american dream. i envision an apocalyptic album where there are chemtrails over this 60s era country club and the people that attend the club are almost evil... with static radios and televisions due to the destruction that’s to come from the demolishing of America

giphy.gif