Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

I had zero expectations for this project but after listening to it I'm completely blown away. This is literally her most personal work ever. It's like you are in the same room with her and she is pouring her heart and soul for you. SportCruiser is a highlight but all the other poems are just as great. THIS IS ART. WE DECIDED TO STAN FOREVER  :krylie:  :wowcry:  :oprah:

:hdu: I just finished my first listen. How did she manage to make "That I will later turn into stew" sound like one of the most dramatic endings ever?

This was so insightful and interesting and there are so many things to read further into upon repeat listens. I really did not expect Patty to be ALL OVER this  :hdu:

I loved the repeated themes here and there that made it into songs on NFR! The first thing I did when I finished listening was play Past The Bushes Cypress Thriving as an interlude to How To Disappear 

To think about what else will be revealed in the published poems that weren't recorded  :hdu:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Hey, I got fed up with Audible's antics last night and cancelled my pre-order. Then, as kindly suggested by Skid Cherry Pie, I proceeded to Google Play where I bought it no problem, just like that and best of all, the amount was converted in pesos so no impuesto Pais either. Total win-win situation!  :omfg:  

lucky :poordat:

i wonder if she recorded them before jack was involved and bc they are so strong (emotionally) she didn't want to re-record

i'm 100% sure she recorded herself reading the poems, gave the audios to Jack and told him about them. I only heard LA Who Am I To Love You but it's very collaborative, not just random reading and random piano chords. it sounds polished and thought out.

i wonder if she recorded them before jack was involved and bc they are so strong (emotionally) she didn't want to re-record

i'm 100% sure she recorded herself reading the poems, gave the audios to Jack and told him about them. I only heard LA Who Am I To Love You but it's very collaborative, not just random reading and random piano chords. it sounds polished and thought out.

Idk why but I got literal goosebumps when she said "Elizabeth Grant" in SportCruiser. I was not ready :defeated:

I'm imagining walking along that marina and seeing a sign up sheet or something with the name Elizabeth Grant on. I'd suddenly be interested in learning to sail!

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I’m amazed by this woman.

Within 10 years, she has put out one of the most coherent body of art out there, so rich and so consistent, so poetic.

I was kinda worried that Violet would be a bit more « all over the place », and that the most « touching ones » would be featured on the second book, but these poems just are so consistent, nostalgic, hypnotic. LA is a masterpiece.

I wonder which were written and recorded last...

I’m amazed by this woman.

Within 10 years, she has put out one of the most coherent body of art out there, so rich and so consistent, so poetic.

I was kinda worried that Violet would be a bit more « all over the place », and that the most « touching ones » would be featured on the second book, but these poems just are so consistent, nostalgic, hypnotic. LA is a masterpiece.

I wonder which were written and recorded last...

I thought this too!

How did she manage to make "That I will later turn into stew" sound like one of the most dramatic endings ever?

Right!! That line in the context of that whole track gives me chillllllls. Truly an unexpected and thrilling ending, and it makes me SO excited for Chemtrails.

i feel like the one person whos not absolutely in love with the audiobook :/ i like it, and as a fan of poetry (and a writer of it, myself) i think the poems are really good, but the audiobook was a bit lackluster for me. I'm still excited to read the actual book though, and i promise this isn't me trying to play devil's advocate or be contrarian. :)

giphy.gif

Love the whole « Greenwich Village beatnik poetry night » or « Café parisien du Quartier Latin » vibes... So vintage, with the cosmic vibes on some chapters... This project is so amazing and turned out even better than I was expecting. I’m glad we didn’t get it on January 4: we wouldn’t be talking about it that much if she had rushed to release it, I think.