Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

What really is considered an American standard/classic? 
I would really be happy if she does Simon & Garfunkel or Fleetwood Mac or Tammy Wynette or Elvis Presley or something a bit more recent like something Mazzy Star, BUT is any of that considered an American standard???

3 hours ago, veinsineon said:

Body & Soul

Like Someone In Love

Moon River

A Day In The Life Of A Fool

Girl/Boy From Ipanema

Autumn Leaves

You And And The Night And The Music

At Last

How High The Moon

honestly a classical covers album is something I’ve always wanted from Lana, but didn’t really see happening until decades into her career... so please feed me queen, thank you!! :legend:

Moon River and Girl/Boy From Ipanema are musts, yes!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Crack Prince said:

What really is considered an American standard/classic? 
I would really be happy if she does Simon & Garfunkel or Fleetwood Mac or Tammy Wynette or Elvis Presley or something a bit more recent like something Mazzy Star, BUT is any of that considered an American standard???

I wonder about that too. Like is it hymn/folk/country ish? Or are classics from the 60s considered American standards (like The Good Life)?

So many options and opportunities. Patsy is confirmed, excited for that.  I think we can bet on Joni and Joan covers as well. I really would love a Julie London track from Julie Is Her Name, either I’m In The Mood For Love or I’m Glad There Is You. Also would love a Roy Orbison track maybe Only The Lonely, Blue Angel, or Crying. That would be awesome! I can see us getting a Ricky Nelson cover maybe since she shared Garden Party. I’d much prefer something like Lonesome Town though.  I’d also love some more Bobby Vinton. Please Love Me Forever would be a dream. We may also end up getting Heartbreak Hotel with this project. We will see I guess! 

To add more to my wishlist lol Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, and Dusty Springfield all would be dreams too. 

I honestly could keep going so I’ll stop here, for now. 

16 minutes ago, masterpinks said:

Oooooh what if Rick returns for some tracks on the standards album? :air: Do we know anything on Nowels + Lana, did they end things on OK terms?

No hate on Jack but Rick Nowels and Lana are/were a match made in heaven and I hope they work together again

As far as we know, she still loves working with him. They were supposed to work on a Broadway together (maybe it’s the Alice soundtrack?) and the beginning of NFR  was written with him. They seem to get along great and he understands and respects her vision of an album. 

I feel like this album will have a similar sound/vibe to Cat Power’s second cover album “Jukebox”. That one’s mostly Americana songs and it has a really nice bluesy atmosphere to it.

It’d be cool if like that album, Lana also re-recorded one of her most famous songs in the style of the album and/or had a new song she wrote just for it, sandwiched between a bunch of classics, subtly inserting herself into the great american songbook and becoming a part of history.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

2 hours ago, LanaBoi said:

I wish it was a Christmas Album :sadcore6:

Though I’d love to have a Christmas EP at some point from her, I really don’t want a Christmas album right now: who knows how long we’ll have to wait after that for Chemtrails? If any good, that Americana album will have much more replay value than a damn Christmas one. 
i Hope the sound of it will have a « warm embrace » feeling the way LMLYLAW and You’ll Never Walk Alone both have. It’s much needed in those challenging times. 

1 hour ago, masterpinks said:

Do we know anything on Nowels + Lana, did they end things on OK terms?

She went to a Bob Dylan concert with him last year so yeah 

Do people actually think Lana is not working with Jack on this album? I feel like she is honestly. I feel like her upcoming album will probably have different producers for every tracks on the album. :creep:

the one thing i pray is on this (probably wont be but..) is a cover of Neil Young's 'Heart Of Gold"

I could see her BODYING this song, especially the second verse "I've been to Hollywood, I've been to Redwood, I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold....I've been in my mind, It's such a fine line, that keeps me searching for a heart of gold... and I'm getting old" ...LIKE COME ON WOULDN'T THAT SLAP???

I hope she doesn't just go with the Patsy Cline 60s kind of sound because it would be kinda boring and actually explore a few decades.

I would love to hear her cover something by Ryan Adams like Oh My Sweet Carolina, something by Tom Waits like Ol' 55, of course some Bruce and Elvis.

3 minutes ago, lanabanana11 said:

the one thing i pray is on this (probably wont be but..) is a cover of Neil Young's 'Heart Of Gold"

I could see her BODYING this song, especially the second verse "I've been to Hollywood, I've been to Redwood, I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold....I've been in my mind, It's such a fine line, that keeps me searching for a heart of gold... and I'm getting old" ...LIKE COME ON WOULDN'T THAT SLAP???

omg this is such a beautiful song - I don't know that it would suit her voice tbh but thanks for reminding me of this work of art - it's on repeat right now