Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

4 minutes ago, Crack Prince said:

Gambling men, easy riders, drug dealers are not as uncommon things in life as you make it seem honestly. I also don't understand what authenticity has to do with being relatable. As I said the rant about the culture made it clear that with NFR (and possibly LFL) her main goal was to please critics (and the masses?) and if you ask me that basically means it is not authentic. 
I also would like to say that I don't hate neither of her albums, I just didn't enjoy her last two as full body projects.

You must agree though that the wider themes embraced in LFL and NFR people can connect to more easily than in her previous works. Again, I’m not saying it is right or wrong, my holy trinity still includes BTD, UV and HM . Like I said I hate the word authentic , maybe not a good choice of word. Sincere might be more appropriate. Again like I said I agree that NFR was meant to be more accessible but at the same I find it more sincere compared to LFL which was only mainstream. 

5 minutes ago, UltraviolenceBaby said:

why do u think the question for the culture makes NFR isn’t authentic to lana?

imo the “strong” “i’m your man” stuff is the direct opposite of what her question for the culture stuff was saying. where she wanted to portray softness and delicate etc etc. especially her saying “can i please go back” to singing about the latter  

34 minutes ago, Crack Prince said:

Can people stop acting like NFR was Lana's peak just because it was the most acclaimed album she released, it is literally so watered down and boring. I don't understand what about it is so "authentic" lmao, that's just sounds like pretentious talk. The question for the culture post makes it crystal clear that NFR is not *that* authentic to Lana herself. 

right

NFR was lana at her most ~presentable~ but it is missing the messiness and the edge that actually draws people to her. and brings her music to life. i wouldn't really say the lyrics were the problem (as a lot of her cornerstone "lana-isms" were still there i.e. feeling blue, california, serial killers) but her vocal delivery and the production was missing that spark. and i def think she was deliberately trying to appear more grown up and like a "serious" artist. 

but like you said, her ig meltdown def saw her claws come back out. that girl who cursed out kathy griffin until nancy pelosi calmed her down is still there somewhere. our queen!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

To be honest, I think Lana’s albums are beautiful in their own right and cannot be evaluated against each other for the same reasons that she characterized her thoughts as priceless and as striving to be nothing more than what they really are in Salamander on Violet. It’s totally fine to have preferences on each album in terms of which one your personal favourite is, but I think to try and objectively critique each album with the context of its predecessors or successors kind of defeats the whole purpose of Lana being an artist - she does it for the act of chronicling her own story and orchestrating a lyrical, sonic, and visual world to either reflect on or guide her own narrative in a specific direction. :) 

Just now, IanadeIrey said:

To be honest, I think Lana’s albums are beautiful in their own right and cannot be evaluated against each other for the same reasons that she characterized her thoughts as priceless and as striving to be nothing more than what they really are in Salamander on Violet. It’s totally fine to have preferences on each album in terms of which one your personal favourite is, but I think to try and objectively critique each album with the context of its predecessors or successors kind of defeats the whole purpose of Lana being an artist - she does it for the act of chronicling her own story and orchestrating a lyrical, sonic, and visual world to either reflect on or guide her own narrative in a specific direction. :) 

as per her Twitter bio, she contradicts herself at times and contains multitudes 

we shouldn't call strong Lana inauthentic any more than delicate Lana 

Just now, iwannadie said:

as per her Twitter bio, she contradicts herself at times and contains multitudes 

we shouldn't call strong Lana inauthentic any more than delicate Lana 

Exactly! Every sort of “face” she just happens to present to the world as a result of her experiences summarized in an album is valid in and of itself and knowing what we know about her, she has never been nothing short of authentic! 

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Her albums are her life situation in the time she made each one! We can see that there’s an up in her life in LFL I guess! She’s always been melancholic, but in different ways! Every album is a specific part of her life! She sings what she lives! I guess NFR was written in a better place for her mentally. Talking about Ultraviolence, we know that she was struggling back then!

life imitates art, but her art imitates her life!

That’s what makes her the greatest songwriter and poet of them all! She makes art by being herself! 

0YnL0Kf.gif

to elaborate on that, it is arguably possible that Lana, while writing more independent/confident lyrics on NFR by her own very free artistic choice, also realized afterwards that this particular direction is apparently more well-received and praised 

then, with the question for the culture post as its climax, she expressed her disappointment in this unspoken pretense/expectation to continue along that direction and fully abandon some of her previous thoughts about being fragile, needy, even submissive 

because Lana never intended to take a full departure from that frame of mind and still wants to feel free to describe her view of life and love however she feels like.. and how it is true to her in that moment 

4 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Exactly! Every sort of “face” she just happens to present to the world as a result of her experiences summarized in an album is valid in and of itself and knowing what we know about her, she has never been nothing short of authentic! 

Agreed to a certain extent. Like Lana herself said in an interview with Pitchfork I believe (I think it was called the Pursue of happiness or something like that) around the time LFL came out, putting out a record without taking into account a number of factors (critical reception, sales, numbers etc) would mean career suicide. So while I do believe Lana makes every effort to be her most sincere and most of the time she manages that beautifully not giving two shits about anything else except her art , she, like most artists at her level of fame, has certain parameters she must abide to. She did that with LFL and it came out uninspired and messy. (When I read that interview I could find no love lost between Lana and LFL ) - she did it again with NFR and imho it was more well-balanced. I will be on cloud 9 if she pulls another vanity project just out of love for her vision, I just hope it feels sincere as BTD, UV, HM and NFR in its own way. ?

The fact she couldn’t even tweet the time today

she had to have though saying ‘album soon’ in her Instagram video was going to be enough

I’m sad it didn’t come today, but not surprised

"Don’t forget me"

6 minutes ago, Tomboboy2#0 said:

Agreed to a certain extent. Like Lana herself said in an interview with Pitchfork I believe (I think it was called the Pursue of happiness or something like that) around the time LFL came out, putting out a record without taking into account a number of factors (critical reception, sales, numbers etc) would mean career suicide. So while I do believe Lana makes every effort to be her most sincere and most of the time she manages that beautifully not giving two shits about anything else except her art , she, like most artists at her level of fame, has certain parameters she must abide to. She did that with LFL and it came out uninspired and messy. (When I read that interview I could find no love lost between Lana and LFL ) - she did it again with NFR and imho it was more well-balanced. I will be on cloud 9 if she pulls another vanity project just out of love for her vision, I just hope it feels sincere as BTD, UV, HM and NFR in its own way. ?

I can't really blame her for tweaking her stance a little bit

I guess she still feels very underrated and is looking to get some recognition 

but this also means that she still cares a lot about how her art is perceived so.. she won't drop a half-assed project 

we're in for some treat :crying5:

Involving the topic about money, I just learned that spotify pays a minimum of 0.0038 cents per stream. Does anybody know the amount of total streams Lana gained in 2019? Was it in the billions? Her being “broke” is false as hell LOL, I recently just learned her net worth is about $30 MILLION... she really is humble

giphy.gif

I love NFR, the songs are great and it's easy to listen but it's true that the lyrics were too safe (even with all the fucks and bitches in the titles/lyrics) and other than the masterpiece that is Venice Bitch, the production was not that interesting either.

I think the IG post happened because she was writing for COCC and the lyrics were more "provocative" or "controversial" and she got frustrated thinking how they were going to criticize her again even if that were her true feelings so she wanted to make a statement. 

giphy.gif

Just now, Lustrouslines said:

Involving the topic about money, I just learned that spotify pays a minimum of 0.0038 cents per stream. Does anybody know the amount of total streams Lana gained in 2019? Was it in the billions? Her being “broke” is false as hell LOL, I recently just learned her net worth is about $30 MILLION... she really is humble

she literally said she's rich more than once :nails:

5 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

So, can we change the title of this thread now?

:agree::oic3::coffee:

5.11.14 // 9.20.14 // 6.11.15 // 6.13.15 // 6.14.15 // 1.26.18 // 9.21.19

Just now, Lustrouslines said:

who said she’s broke? she makes an insane amount from touring. especially since she basically has no special effects or expensive tour sets

1 minute ago, Lustrouslines said:

Does anybody really think she's broke? She's not a mega superstar but even if she doesn't chart that much she sells a lot of albums and concert tickets

giphy.gif