Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

7 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

Who expected a lyrical masterpiece when even she described the song as having "weird lyrics"

Y'all set yourselves up for disappointment sometimes

well i did, because of how it was called one of her saddest songs, because it's one of the few songs that deal with her Lizzy past, because she said it was clear what the song was about (whereas venice bitch??.......), because of the two-faced title, because of the 'it made me feel like a god' line :oprah3:

also bartender was called weird and it has her best lyrics in a long time 

I really love the lyrics of Venice Bitch. They may not be straight forward but they say so much in such a unique way. White Dress is going to blow us away, do not fear. :defeated:

3 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

well i did, because of how it was called one of her saddest songs, because it's one of the few songs that deal with her Lizzy past, because she said it was clear what the song was about (whereas venice bitch??.......), because of the two-faced title, because of the 'it made me feel like a god' line :oprah3:

You can certainly express sadness and nostalgia without being a lyrical masterpiece. Say what you want about Venice Bitch, but it certainly evokes many different feelings 

Just saying that y'all kill yourselves with your expectations.  :oprah3:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Venice Bitch is one of her best songs lyrically too. I s2g some people just assume the song is boring if she's not talking about snorting cocaine or domestic abuse. She gets just as much across in a lyric like "You're in the yard, I light the fire / And as the summer fades away / Nothing gold can stay" as she does in any highly dramatized song. It's just a different narrative style. The emotional impact is always there, unless you're one of those fans who just skims the surface for her classic sugar-daddy sad-girl type shit.

Just now, Contemplating God said:

You can certainly express sadness and nostalgia without being a lyrical masterpiece. Say what you want about Venice Bitch, but it certainly evokes many different feelings :oprah3:

I just thought that the way Eclipse loved it and Lana seems to deem it special implied there would be more to the lyrics than 'ice cream, ice queen, i dream in jeans and leather' :oprah3: i know the vb lyrics have some qualities but i'm just saying i expected more from white dress. now it is what it is :oprah3: 

Just now, Araby said:

Venice Bitch is one of her best songs lyrically too. I s2g some people just assume the song is boring if she's not talking about snorting cocaine or domestic abuse. She gets just as much across in a lyric like "You're in the yard, I light the fire / And as the summer fades away / Nothing gold can stay" as she does in any highly dramatized song. It's just a different narrative style. The emotional impact is always there. unless you're one of those fans who just skims the surface for her classic sugar-daddy sad-girl type shit.

While I don't necessarily agree that they want her singing about doing drugs and abuse, I do agree with the rest of this statement. 

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, Araby said:

Venice Bitch is one of her best songs lyrically too. I s2g some people just assume the song is boring if she's not talking about snorting cocaine or domestic abuse. She gets just as much across in a lyric like "You're in the yard, I light the fire / And as the summer fades away / Nothing gold can stay" as she does in any highly dramatized song. It's just a different narrative style. The emotional impact is always there, unless you're one of those fans who just skims the surface for her classic sugar-daddy sad-girl type shit.

girl i'm the number one hater of the songs where she glamorises domestic abuse, that's not what it's about... i'm saying a lot of her songs have lyrics that i consider to be better than those of venice bitch. on nfr, i think how to disappear, bartender, california, hope is a dangerous thing, fuck it i love you, mariners apartment complex have better lyrics. but that's just my opinion!

4 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

I just thought that the way Eclipse loved it and Lana seems to deem it special implied there would be more to the lyrics than 'ice cream, ice queen, i dream in jeans and leather' :oprah3: i know the vb lyrics have some qualities but i'm just saying i expected more from white dress. now it is what it is :oprah3: 

There's so much depth to VB (even its lyrics). Maybe you just haven't thought about it enough yet, or listened for the meaning past the words. I personally really enjoyed her more understated lyricism in NFR— it feels much more personal and much less melodramatic (she's not pulling any The Blackest Day-type "It's not one of those phases I'm going through" verses where she amplifies her situation poetically). It's not self-referential like a lot of her other work. VB is a special song, and all the lyrics (even banal ice cream lyrics) contribute to making it the fantastic track that it is.

26 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

the thing i'm scared of is that the lyrics of white dress were described (by Eclipse i think? but i might be wrong) as not that good :ohno:

13 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

(Sorry, honeybadger, I didn’t want to quote you and now I can’t undo)

that fan account assembled all the info we have on all the songs, including the Mojo interview. White Dress is described by Lana almost as « free journaling ». Line Venice Bitch, I think it will create a « mood » rather than some super coherent lyrical masterpiece. Venice pulled it off because it was all about getting high; White Dress could work since the song is about memories of her past, where the memories aren’t always coherent. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLkMh_sHOUa/?igshid=zk8steawjl3

Venice Bitch is in my top 10 songs of hers, so hearing some similarities in the White Dress lyrics will please me :ma:

I also wish to hear something similar sonically oh please yes

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

1 minute ago, Future Jazz said:

One line in a nine minute track does not diminish the quality of the track :oprah3:

1 minute ago, Contemplating God said:

One line in a nine minute track does not diminish the quality of the track :oprah3:

Also like,,,, Lana has written far worse lines (we're talking about a woman who rhymes baby with crazy like every other track). "Ice cream, ice queen; I dream in jeans and leather" is at least fun wordplay and it's a memorably specific way to describe herself. So it's a weird line to try and come for in the first place

1 minute ago, Araby said:

Also like,,,, Lana has written far worse lines (we're talking about a woman who rhymes baby with crazy like every other track). "Ice cream, ice queen; I dream in jeans and leather" is at least fun wordplay and it's a memorably specific way to describe herself. So it's a weird line to try and come for in the first place

Isn't she singing about Ice Cream in Salvatore

I wonder what makes that track so different 

8 minutes ago, Araby said:

There's so much depth to VB (even its lyrics). Maybe you just haven't thought about it enough yet, or listened for the meaning past the words. I personally really enjoyed her more understated lyricism in NFR— it feels much more personal and much less melodramatic (she's not pulling any The Blackest Day-type "It's not one of those phases I'm going through" verses where she amplifies her situation poetically). It's not self-referential like a lot of her other work. VB is a special song, and all the lyrics (even banal ice cream lyrics) contribute to making it the fantastic track that it is.

once again, I'm not saying the lyrics to VB are bad, I'm saying that in my opinion, which you don't seem to give a lot of credit to - implying im just not at the point where i can understand what you understand - they're not as good as those for the better half of the songs on NFR. and the lyrics to bartender, california, hope, fuck it i love you, how to disappear aren't that melodramatic either. and i JUST said i expected more from white dress, for the reasons that i gave, but maybe that was, indeed, setting myself up for disappointment. let's agree to disagree though!

Just now, Contemplating God said:

i'm not saying salvatore has good lyrics, nor am i saying venice bitch isn't a good song

4 minutes ago, Araby said:

i agree she's written far worse lines, i just thought white dress would be above all that. and i picked that one because i think it represents well vb's lyrics!

4 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

Yes, she sings "soft ice cream" in Salvatore too, but it's differently stylized— in VB, she's using the image of soft ice cream to tie herself to the piers in CA where it's commonly served. She follows it with "ice queen" to further the metaphor— she's got a cold shoulder but she's sweet.

In Salvatore, the ice cream metaphor is much more focused on the idea of consumption, hence why it's used as a more seductive lyric. Here, it's more like she "is" ice cream to her lover— something messy but luxurious to eat, and usually devoured in the heat of summer. It fits the song in a different way imo

So in other words, I deadass think it's a good line in Salvatore too but for entirely different reasons :flutter:

3 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

i'm not saying salvatore has good lyrics, nor am i saying venice bitch isn't a good song

i agree she's written far worse lines, i just thought white dress would be above all that. and i picked that one because i think it represents well vb's lyrics!

i'm not attacking you i hear you

just saying that she said the track has weird lyrics where you don't know what she's talking about until you get to the end of the track, so a VB comparison really isn't that surprising. I don't think he said it in terms of the WD having minimal lyrics, but it conveys a feeling rather than a story.

8 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

once again, I'm not saying the lyrics to VB are bad, I'm saying that in my opinion, which you don't seem to give a lot of credit to - implying im just not at the point where i can understand what you understand - they're not as good as those for the better half of the songs on NFR. and the lyrics to bartender, california, hope, fuck it i love you, how to disappear aren't that melodramatic either. and i JUST said i expected more from white dress, for the reasons that i gave, but maybe that was, indeed, setting myself up for disappointment. let's agree to disagree though!

I really do apologize if you ever felt like I was disrespecting your opinion! It's just that I saw you make some claims about VB and its lyrics, but you didn't post anything to back it up besides the ice cream lyric (which I actually think is clever, and I explained why I think so). Everyone's taste is totally different and that's okay! I guess I'd just be careful criticizing such a beloved song without explaining why or articulating what you dislike

Fuck this album is going to blow everyone out of the water we truly know nothing about the soundscape :angie: we might know the instruments and some of the descriptions but we don’t know anything about how it will be interpreted personally into our lives or even the impact it may have on us... lets start claiming tracks! 

For me I would have to say Tulsa Jesus Freak or Wild at Heart

giphy.gif