Elle

Blue Banisters

1 hour ago, rightofjupiter said:

yes those are the official lyrics in the BB liner notes! I never would’ve gotten that on my own so grateful it was one of the few songs whose lyrics were officially published. 

also since it hasn’t been posted here, Jenny Lewis tweeted “Jenny jumped into the pool,” officially confirming that she’s the Jenny in BB (I knew it!! She’s close w Nikki lane so I figured it was her, and am DYING to hear anything she and Lana did together).

Omg I didn’t even read the liner notes! :rip: LOL @ me getting excited when this is not new info :silly:

Ugh so glad we know it’s Jenny Lewis - even with some of Lana’s most direct lyrics, we still have the joy of unravelling the layers to this gorgeous song <3

Since this thread discussion about videos is speaking about Nikki Lane jumping in the water with Jenny, the song BB is not off-topic . . . Is the lyric printed on the dust jacket? I just played the mp3 of Blue Banisters purchased from Amazon a while back, and the lyric sounds very much like "It's of age." Your observation makes it occur to me Lana is transposing "it's a bane" for "it's of age," as she often does within the song, like "The kids were young and pretty" and at the end, "And we were young and pretty" on Old Money. Except she did it on an album sleeve instead of in the song itself. It would make sense. One "bane" of Hollyweird is men being paired in films with young actesses half or a third their age . . . and men in general wanting to date young women. It is an ongoing conversation in Hollywood there are many beautiful, accomplished women over 50, but not many men available who are suitable matches for them. And the ones up in age - one, an actor, was quoted as saying men like to date young because they can "mold" a younger woman more easily than a mature one. A mature, successful woman is already set in her ways. Society keeps reflecting the movies. The reason so many old, old men are paired with young women in film is because those films are made by men, directed and written by men! And that is a fantasy of an old man, to marry a younger woman who adores him. It is simply not reality. For instance, Audrey Hepburn was 34 paired with 59-year old Cary Grant in Charade. 25-year old Audrey lived happily ever after with 55-year old Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina. One of the most egregrious examples is Catherine Zeta-Jones paried with Sean Connery in Entrapment when she was 30 and he 69 - more than twice her age! Movies are littered with these age gaps which spring from mens' fantasies.

In conclusion, maybe I project meanings to Lana lyrics which she didn't intend . . . but I can't help it! Like, these are EXACTLY the blue banisters Lana is referring to in BB . . . they are from the Queen Elizabeth's Greenwich apartment, and the pic Lana posted when she is looking up at them.c19e0d1fd5a025d1e4a0390cd6fb9240.jpg161960213960892adb95a0f.jpg

At the same time, Lana was tweeting or posting to IG about the beautiful union between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, who died in April 2021 . . . I can't remember is it condolences, or, an anniversary or what the occasion is.

1 minute ago, Louise said:

Since this thread discussion about videos is speaking about Nikki Lane jumping in the water with Jenny, the song BB is not off-topic . . . Is the lyric printed on the dust jacket? I just played the mp3 of Blue Banisters purchased from Amazon a while back, and the lyric sounds very much like "It's of age." Your observation makes it occur to me Lana is transposing "it's a bane" for "it's of age," as she often does within the song, like "The kids were young and pretty" and at the end, "And we were young and pretty" on Old Money. Except she did it on an album sleeve instead of in the song itself. It would make sense. One "bane" of Hollyweird is men being paired in films with young actesses half or a third their age . . . and men in general wanting to date young women. It is an ongoing conversation in Hollywood there are many beautiful, accomplished women over 50, but not many men available who are suitable matches for them. And the ones up in age - one, an actor, was quoted as saying men like to date young because they can "mold" a younger woman more easily than a mature one. A mature, successful woman is already set in her ways. Society keeps reflecting the movies. The reason so many old, old men are paired with one women in film is because those films are made by men, directed and written by men! And that is a fantasy of an old man, to marry a younger woman who adores him. It is simply not reality. For instance, Audrey Hepburn was 34 paired with 59-year old Cary Grant in Charade. 25-year old Audrey lived happily ever after with 55-year old Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina. One of the most egregrious examples is Catherine Zeta-Jones paried with Sean Connery in Entrapment when she was 30 and he 69 - more than twice her age! Movies are littered with these age gaps which spring from mens' fantasies.

In conclusion, maybe I project meanings to Lana lyrics which she didn't intend . . . but I can't help it! Like, these are EXACTLY the blue banisters Lana is referring to in BB . . . they are from the Queen Elizabeth's Greenwich apartment, and the pic Lana posted when she is looking up at them.c19e0d1fd5a025d1e4a0390cd6fb9240.jpg161960213960892adb95a0f.jpg

At the same time, Lana was tweeting or posting to IG about the beautiful union between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, who died in April 2021 . . . I can't remember is it condolences, or, an anniversary or what the occasion is.

i'm sorry what?

2 minutes ago, Louise said:

Since this thread discussion about videos is speaking about Nikki Lane jumping in the water with Jenny, the song BB is not off-topic . . . Is the lyric printed on the dust jacket? I just played the mp3 of Blue Banisters purchased from Amazon a while back, and the lyric sounds very much like "It's of age." Your observation makes it occur to me Lana is transposing "it's a bane" for "it's of age," as she often does within the song, like "The kids were young and pretty" and at the end, "And we were young and pretty" on Old Money. Except she did it on an album sleeve instead of in the song itself. It would make sense. One "bane" of Hollyweird is men being paired in films with young actesses half or a third their age . . . and men in general wanting to date young women. It is an ongoing conversation in Hollywood there are many beautiful, accomplished women over 50, but not many men available who are suitable matches for them. And the ones up in age - one, an actor, was quoted as saying men like to date young because they can "mold" a younger woman more easily than a mature one. A mature, successful woman is already set in her ways. Society keeps reflecting the movies. The reason so many old, old men are paired with one women in film is because those films are made by men, directed and written by men! And that is a fantasy of an old man, to marry a younger woman who adores him. It is simply not reality. For instance, Audrey Hepburn was 34 paired with 59-year old Cary Grant in Charade. 25-year old Audrey lived happily ever after with 55-year old Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina. One of the most egregrious examples is Catherine Zeta-Jones paried with Sean Connery in Entrapment when she was 30 and he 69 - more than twice her age! Movies are littered with these age gaps which spring from mens' fantasies.

:scoff:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

4 minutes ago, Louise said:

jumping into swiftie territory i see :xgiggle:

I bet she's so lucky Untitled-video-Made-with-Clipchamp.gif to have a voice like that

last.fm

1 hour ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

i'm sorry what?

Sorry. In conclusion, "it's our bane" and "it's of age" are a sample of assonance, a technique Lana uses in her lyrics and poetry, which can create internal rhyme . . . There are discrepancies between the physical book Violet Bent Over Backwards in the Grass, and the poetry in the audio book . . . I think this is one of those discrepancies, perhaps purposeful. The song lyric is "it's of age." The dust jacket says, "it's our bane." Lana might do something like that - purposefully different. Ageism is a bane! :)

The genius lyrics are the correct song lyrics, and Lana posted a variation on the dust jacket to add complexity.

That said, I may be wrong. I appreciate the opinions expressed here. Album lyrics are formally supplied to genius if not by the artist, by the record company, is my impression.

1 hour ago, Louise said:

Sorry. In conclusion, "it's our bane" and "it's of age" are a sample of assonance, a technique Lana uses in her lyrics and poetry, which can create internal rhyme . . . There are discrepancies between the physical book Violet Bent Over Backwards in the Grass, and the poetry in the audio book . . . I think this is one of those discrepancies, perhaps purposeful. The song lyric is "it's of age." The dust jacket says, "it's our bane." Lana might do something like that - purposefully different. Ageism is a bane! :)

The genius lyrics are the correct song lyrics, and Lana posted a variation on the dust jacket to add complexity.

That said, I may be wrong. I appreciate the opinions expressed here. Album lyrics are formally supplied to genius if not by the artist, by the record company, is my impression.

Idk I've always heard "its our bane" 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:50 PM, Sweet said:

Holaap people be hearen “it’s of bane” in BB? Chyall, not again… anyways….. 

Yeah lol "its our bane"

"Most men don't want a woman with a legacy, its our bane" 

As in their legacy is the reason why most men don't want them, because it makes their relationships more difficult with them being famous and all...or perhaps the men Lana, Jenny, and Nikki are trying to date don't like the fact that they are more successful than them 

Makes more sense than "its of age" in my opinion :whatever2:

3 minutes ago, fishtails said:

Yeah lol "its our bane"

"Most men don't want a woman with a legacy, its our bane" 

As in their legacy is the reason why most men don't want them, because it makes their relationships more difficult with them being famous and all...or perhaps the men Lana and Nikki are trying to date don't like the fact that they are more successful than them 

Makes more sense than "its of age" in my opinion :whatever2:

“It’s of age” is used as a metaphor for life lived. When you say a woman has a legacy and it’s of age also considering Lana has a legacy and she’s in her late thirties “it’s of age” makes sense.

It’s a devastating statement she made and it’s packed with awful realties strong and successful single women in their late-mid thirties who have lived a life live in. 

But you and I both think in the same way just different words so the context is the same but I hear and think “it’s of age”. So at least we’re on the same page in that way haha :)

8Qg234E.gif

1 minute ago, Sweet said:

“It’s of age” is used as a metaphor for life lived. When you say a woman has a legacy and it’s of age also considering Lana has a legacy and she’s in her late thirties “it’s of age” makes sense.

It’s a devastating statement she made and it’s packed with awful realties strong and successful single women in their late-mid thirties who have lived a life live in. 

But you and I both think in the same way just different words so the context is the same but I hear and think “it’s of age”. So at least we’re on the same page in that way haha :)

I don't think I've ever heard that metaphor before but you're right, that does make sense too lol maybe that other user was right and Lana intentionally made it sound like both :oic3:

44 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Holaap people be hearen “it’s our bane” in BB? Chyall, not again… anyways….. 

I do hear "it's of age" but it literally says "it's our bane" in the official vinyl so that lyric obviously has some merit lol

6 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I do hear "it's of age" but it literally says "it's our bane" in the official vinyl so that lyric obviously has some merit lol

Weird, ur right…

8Qg234E.gif

Just now, DCooper said:

Really? They printed it with both lyrics?

(Sorry mods this is so off topic :pray2:)

No ur right…. I double checked just now. I thought it did but it’s “it’s our bane” which I don’t hear at all…. 

8Qg234E.gif