details

Lana Songs that sound like their Album Covers

so, i randomly stumbled upon this video last week and thought it would be a funny game for us to play with lana albums :lanahottie:

it's definitely an abstract concept but also very weird and specific, so i'll try to explain my thinking process for every cover. of course, this is my personal opinion and yours might differ! so don't come for me!! :peace: also, sorry in advance if a similar thread has been posted before, i didn't really check lol :silly: anyway, i'll go first:

BORN TO DIE

2gZ1TJt.png

This Is What Makes Us Girls - Carmen - Lolita

Spoiler

This Is What Makes Us Girls, Carmen and Lolita are the ones that come to mind when i see this cover. Funny enough, none of them are my favorites from this album :derpna:As much as i dislike TIWMUG, it IS what this cover sounds like!

I'd also include National Anthem and Dark Paradise, and, to a lesser extent, Million Dollar Man, Radio and, surprisingly, Lucky Ones. 

Honorable mention to Serial Killer, i'd say it would sound very fitting with this cover.

PARADISE

pr6RbVV.png

Bel Air - Yayo

Spoiler

Bel Air all the way! :hype: There's no better sonic representation to the whole Paradise aesthetic than this song

Yayo is also one that comes to mind when i see the cover but i don't know how to explain why :eek:

Cola, Body Electric and Gods & Monsters are the ones that i'd say that sound like this cover to a lesser extent, but that's it.

ULTRAVIOLENCE

smVzKoM.png

Black Beauty - Ultraviolence - Sad Girl - Old Money

Spoiler

Black Beauty is the one for me. It might be an obvious choice, but it's the song that best embraces the melancholy and darkness portrayed in the cover for me.

I could mention the whole album tbh, but if i would pinpoint any songs, i'd say Ultraviolence, Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, Old Money and The Other Woman are all great representatives for this cover.

ZKZi13t.png

Flipside - Brooklyn Baby - West Coast - Florida Kilos

Spoiler

She's obviously a Flipside kinda gal :true: Which is a shame bc it's not included in the UO version :horror2: 

Brooklyn Baby, West Coast and Florida Kilos (which is ALSO not included in UO's vinyl :sideeye:) are the ones i'd say that sound like this cover the most

HONEYMOON

LNkHdEx.png

High By The Beach - Freak - Art Deco

Spoiler

For some reason, i always associate this cover with the High By The Beach - Freak - Art Deco trio, it might be her distance and badass attitude in the cover that i subconsciously link with these fresh, cool, summery tracks.

Music To Watch Boys To and, maybe, Religion are worth mentioning since they're also very summery. Burnt Norton also give me this cover vibes ngl, but that might be just me.

jMlCyZQ.png

Honeymoon - Salvatore - Swan Song - God Knows I Tried

Spoiler

I'd say this cover represent the album as a whole better than the standard one with this sunny vulnerable vibe going on.

Similarly to Ultraviolence, most songs on the record are worth mentioning. Honeymoon, Salvatore, God Knows I Tried, Swan Song and The Blackest Day are my top picks.

LUST FOR LIFE

RfMh8M9.png

Get Free - Love - God Bless America - Groupie Love

Spoiler

Well, Love was an obvious choice, since the cover was shot at the set for it's music video. For me, Get Free is the one that sounds the most like the album cover. Groupie Love and God Bless America (i ain't typing the whole thing :crying5:) also give me the same breezy, carefree, summery vibe of the cover.

Maybe Coachella and When The World Was at War too? :um2: LFL is a very um... ~diverse~ record so it's hard to tell, i'm better at pointing the songs on the album that do NOT sound like the cover!

NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL

lekUTw6.png

Mariners Apartment Complex - Norman Fucking Rockwell - California

Spoiler

This cover was made for Mariners Apartment Complex, c'mon now! It's the perfect visual representation for her. :yesnod: The title track and California are very fitting for the cover as well.

I'd say that Venice Bitch and Fuck it i love you sound somewhat like this cover, but it's just not that strong of a connection. FIILY is definitely a very fiery orange song for me while VB is a musk green driveway song. Did that make any sense? No, but it's how i see them

I will say tho, How to disappear does not sound like this cover at all but i DO associate them both. Maybe it's the sky with brush strokes? HTD is a powder blue with hints of white song for me so, there's that. NFR is not that strong visually for me so i'm having a hard time here and mostly rambling right now :xgiggle:

96oyizp.png

lmao i have no idea what this cover sounds like, maybe Bartender? Happiness is a butterfly? Love song? Cinnamon Girl? i have no idea! what a random moment... :lel:

CHEMTRAILS OVER THE COUNTRY CLUB

VwpjVzN.png

Wild at Heart - Not All Who Wander Are Lost - Dance Till We Die

Spoiler

well... this one's a mess 💀 i don't particularly think it sounds like anything but if i had to pick anything from the record that resembles its cover i'd pick the aforementioned songs.

i'd go as far as saying that i slightly associate this cover with Tulsa Jesus Freak and Dark But Just a Game but that has more to do with the color palette than with anything else :oprah3:

juKTTEu.png

Yosemite - White Dress - For Free

Spoiler

As with Honeymoon alt cover, i feel like this one also does represent the album as a whole better than the standard one but, unlike her previous records, none of the songs share that really strong connection with the cover for me... Yosemite might have the strongest link tbh. Looking at it, i can kinda see White Dress and For Free playing but COCC is Lana's weakest album visually for me.

BLUE BANISTERS

EzxWrZw.png

well i haven't listened to this one yet so i can't tell yet! might edit this post when the album comes out tho :typewriter:

Here's what I think for each album:

Sirens (yes, I'm starting way back):

Bad Disease, Try Tonight, Peace/All You Need

AKA:

For K, Pt. 2, Raise Me Up, Yayo

Born To Die:

Off To The Races, Million Dollar Man, Lolita

Paradise:

Cola, Body Electric, Gods & Monsters

Ultraviolence:

Ultraviolence, Brooklyn Baby, Sad Girl

Ultraviolence Alt: 

Flipside, Guns & Roses

Honeymoon: 

Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To, Art Deco

Honeymoon Alt:

Terrance Loves You, God Knows I Tried, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Lust for Life:

Love, God Bless America, Get Free

NFR:

NFR, Mariners Apartment Complex, California

NFR Alt:

Bartender, Happiness is a Butterfly 

Chemtrails:

Let Me Love You Like a Woman, Not All Who Wander Are Lost, Dance Til We Die

Chemtrails Alt:

White Dress, Chemtrails, Yosemite

Blue Banisters:

Blue Banisters (the rest is in a spoiler tag)

Spoiler

If You Lie Down With Me, Thunder

imageproxy.jpg

fun!

BTD: carmen, national anthem, lolita

Paradise: american, bel air

UV (standard): old money, west coast

UV (UO): cruel world, UV

HM (standard): HM, salvatore

HM (UO): HM, music to watch boys to

LFL: love, get free

NFR (standard): MAC, california, the greatest

NFR (UO): HIAB, VB

COCC (standard): COCC, DTWD

COCC (krug cover): WD, WAH

Spoiler

BB (standard): IYLDWM, VFR

BB (UO): NOTG, BB

BB (smiling): dealer, thunder

aOaIzH2.gif

BTD: Carmen, Off To The Races, National Anthem, Lolita

Paradise: Gods & Monsters, Cola, Bel Air

UV (standard): West Coast, Brooklyn Baby, Black Beauty

UV (alt): Pretty When You Cry, Flipside, Shades Of Cool

Honeymoon (standard): Music To Watch Boys To, Art Deco, High By The Beach 

Honeymoon (alt): Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You, Salvatore

LFL: Love, Get Free

NFR (standard): Cinnamon Girl, California, MAC, Venice Bitch, The Greatest

NFR (alt): Happiness Is A Butterfly, NFR, Bartender

COCC (standard): Wanderlust, BUS

COCC (alt): Yosemite, Chemtrails

Sirens: Peace

AKA: Kill Kill

BTD: National Anthem + Million Dollar Man

Paradise: Gods & Monsters

UV (standard): Ultraviolence

UV (alt): West Coast

Honeymoon (standard): Art Deco

Honeymoon (alt): Salvatore

LFL: Love

NFR (standard): Mariners Apartment Complex + California

NFR (alt): Bartender

COCC (standard): Dance Till We Die

COCC (alt): White Dress + Chemtrails

omg and i forgot about BB

BB (standard): Blue Banisters + Black Bathing Suit

BB (smiling): Sweet Carolina

BB (blue side profile): Thunder + Wildflower Wildfire

BB (John Deere): Violets for Roses

mUENGN9.png

1 hour ago, Honeysuckle said:

so, i randomly stumbled upon this video last week and thought it would be a funny game for us to play with lana albums :lanahottie:

it's definitely an abstract concept but also very weird and specific, so i'll try to explain my thinking process for every cover. of course, this is my personal opinion and yours might differ! so don't come for me!! :peace: also, sorry in advance if a similar thread has been posted before, i didn't really check lol :silly: anyway, i'll go first:

BORN TO DIE

2gZ1TJt.png

This Is What Makes Us Girls - Carmen - Lolita

Hide contents

This Is What Makes Us Girls, Carmen and Lolita are the ones that come to mind when i see this cover. Funny enough, none of them are my favorites from this album :derpna:As much as i dislike TIWMUG, it IS what this cover sounds like!

I'd also include National Anthem and Dark Paradise, and, to a lesser extent, Million Dollar Man, Radio and, surprisingly, Lucky Ones. 

Honorable mention to Serial Killer, i'd say it would sound very fitting with this cover.

PARADISE

pr6RbVV.png

Bel Air - Yayo

Hide contents

Bel Air all the way! :hype: There's no better sonic representation to the whole Paradise aesthetic than this song

Yayo is also one that comes to mind when i see the cover but i don't know how to explain why :eek:

Cola, Body Electric and Gods & Monsters are the ones that i'd say that sound like this cover to a lesser extent, but that's it.

ULTRAVIOLENCE

smVzKoM.png

Black Beauty - Ultraviolence - Sad Girl - Old Money

Hide contents

Black Beauty is the one for me. It might be an obvious choice, but it's the song that best embraces the melancholy and darkness portrayed in the cover for me.

I could mention the whole album tbh, but if i would pinpoint any songs, i'd say Ultraviolence, Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, Old Money and The Other Woman are all great representatives for this cover.

ZKZi13t.png

Flipside - Brooklyn Baby - West Coast - Florida Kilos

Reveal hidden contents

She's obviously a Flipside kinda gal :true: Which is a shame bc it's not included in the UO version :horror2: 

Brooklyn Baby, West Coast and Florida Kilos (which is ALSO not included in UO's vinyl :sideeye:) are the ones i'd say that sound like this cover the most

HONEYMOON

LNkHdEx.png

High By The Beach - Freak - Art Deco

Reveal hidden contents

For some reason, i always associate this cover with the High By The Beach - Freak - Art Deco trio, it might be her distance and badass attitude in the cover that i subconsciously link with these fresh, cool, summery tracks.

Music To Watch Boys To and, maybe, Religion are worth mentioning since they're also very summery. Burnt Norton also give me this cover vibes ngl, but that might be just me.

jMlCyZQ.png

Honeymoon - Salvatore - Swan Song - God Knows I Tried

Reveal hidden contents

I'd say this cover represent the album as a whole better than the standard one with this sunny vulnerable vibe going on.

Similarly to Ultraviolence, most songs on the record are worth mentioning. Honeymoon, Salvatore, God Knows I Tried, Swan Song and The Blackest Day are my top picks.

LUST FOR LIFE

RfMh8M9.png

Get Free - Love - God Bless America - Groupie Love

Reveal hidden contents

Well, Love was an obvious choice, since the cover was shot at the set for it's music video. For me, Get Free is the one that sounds the most like the album cover. Groupie Love and God Bless America (i ain't typing the whole thing :crying5:) also give me the same breezy, carefree, summery vibe of the cover.

Maybe Coachella and When The World Was at War too? :um2: LFL is a very um... ~diverse~ record so it's hard to tell, i'm better at pointing the songs on the album that do NOT sound like the cover!

NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL

lekUTw6.png

Mariners Apartment Complex - Norman Fucking Rockwell - California

Reveal hidden contents

This cover was made for Mariners Apartment Complex, c'mon now! It's the perfect visual representation for her. :yesnod: The title track and California are very fitting for the cover as well.

I'd say that Venice Bitch and Fuck it i love you sound somewhat like this cover, but it's just not that strong of a connection. FIILY is definitely a very fiery orange song for me while VB is a musk green driveway song. Did that make any sense? No, but it's how i see them

I will say tho, How to disappear does not sound like this cover at all but i DO associate them both. Maybe it's the sky with brush strokes? HTD is a powder blue with hints of white song for me so, there's that. NFR is not that strong visually for me so i'm having a hard time here and mostly rambling right now :xgiggle:

96oyizp.png

lmao i have no idea what this cover sounds like, maybe Bartender? Happiness is a butterfly? Love song? Cinnamon Girl? i have no idea! what a random moment... :lel:

CHEMTRAILS OVER THE COUNTRY CLUB

VwpjVzN.png

Wild at Heart - Not All Who Wander Are Lost - Dance Till We Die

Reveal hidden contents

well... this one's a mess 💀 i don't particularly think it sounds like anything but if i had to pick anything from the record that resembles its cover i'd pick the aforementioned songs.

i'd go as far as saying that i slightly associate this cover with Tulsa Jesus Freak and Dark But Just a Game but that has more to do with the color palette than with anything else :oprah3:

juKTTEu.png

Yosemite - White Dress - For Free

Reveal hidden contents

As with Honeymoon alt cover, i feel like this one also does represent the album as a whole better than the standard one but, unlike her previous records, none of the songs share that really strong connection with the cover for me... Yosemite might have the strongest link tbh. Looking at it, i can kinda see White Dress and For Free playing but COCC is Lana's weakest album visually for me.

BLUE BANISTERS

EzxWrZw.png

well i haven't listened to this one yet so i can't tell yet! might edit this post when the album comes out tho :typewriter:

omg this is so good

Incredible idea :hype: 

Born to Die - Born to Die, National Anthem, Off to the Races, This Is What Makes Us Girls

Paradise - American, Body Electric, Bel Air

Ultraviolence - Ultraviolence, Cruel World, Pretty When You Cry

*Ultraviolence, Urban Outfitters - Flipside, Brooklyn Baby, Florida Kilos, West Coast

Honeymoon - High By the Beach, Freak, Art Deco, Music To Watch Boys To

*Honeymoon, Urban Outfitters - basically most of the second half tbh, from Religion onwards.

Lust for Life - Lust for Life, Love, White Mustang, Heroin, Coachella

Norman Fucking Rockwell! - Mariners Apartment Complex, Cinnamon, Fuck It I Love You, The Greatest

*Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Urban Outfitters - Bartender, Happiness Is a Butterfly, Venice Bitch

Chemtrails over the Country Club - Tulsa Jesus Freak, Chemtrails over the Country Club

*Chemtrails over the Country Club, alternate - Yosemite, Wild at Heart, Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Blue Banisters - Arcadia...

Spoiler

Black Bathing Suit, Violets for Roses, Dealer, Nectar of the Gods

*Blue Banisters, Alt. zoom in from the MV - Wildflower Wildfire...

Spoiler

Beautiful, If You Lie Down with Me, Living Legend

*Blue Banisters, the John Deere version - Blue Banisters...

Spoiler

Sweet Carolina, Thunder, Cherry Blossom

EDIT: I guess I got so many similar to yours lmao

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

LANA DEL RAY - Oh Say Can You See, Gramma, Jump & Yayo

BORN TO DIE - Off to the Races, Video Games, Blue Jeans, Diet Mtn Dew

PARADISE - Bel Air, Yayo, Body Electric

ULTRAVIOLENCE - Brooklyn Baby, Cruel World, Guns n Roses, Old Money & Flipside

HONEYMOON - Honeymoon, Religion, Terrence Loves You, The Blackest Day

LUST FOR LIFE - Beautiful People Beautiful Problems, Coachella, God Bless America, Tomorrow Never Came & Change

NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL - Everything except "Bartender", "Happiness is a butterly", "hope" & "The Next Best American Record"

CHEMTRAILS OVER THE COUNTRY CLUB - Breaking Up Slowly, White Dress & Yosemite

BLUE BANISTERS - Thunder, Dealer, Nectar of the Gods & Black Bathing Suit

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Lana Del Ray A.K.A. Lizzy Grant - For K, Part 2

Born To Die - National Anthem, This Is What Makes Us Girls

Paradise - Cola, Yayo

Ultraviolence (Standard) - Cruel World, Shades Of Cool

Ultraviolence (Urban Outfitters) - Florida Kilos, Flipside

Honeymoon (Standard) - Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To

Honeymoon (Urban Outfitters) - Gods Knows I Tried, Swan Song, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Lust For Life - Love, Get Free

Norman Fucking Rockwell! (Standard) - Mariners Apartment Complex, Venice Bitch, California

Norman Fucking Rockwell! (Urban Outfitters) - Bartender, Happiness is a butterfly

Chemtrails Over The Country Club (Standard) - Wild At Heart, For Free

Chemtrails Over The Country Club (Neil Krug) - White Dress, Tulsa Jesus Freak, Yosemite

Blue Banisters (Standard) - If You Lie Down With Me, Nectar Of The Gods

Blue Banisters (Smiling) - Arcadia, Sweet Carolina

Blue Banisters (Blue) - Thunder

Blue Banisters (John Deere) - Text Book, Dealer, Living Legend

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

I can't play this game cause I'm so biased already :hide: every Lana song reminds me of its album cover. I'll try anyway:

BTD: Diet Mountain Dew

Paradise: Body Electric 

UV: Sad Girl

UV (alt.): FMWUTTT

HM: MTWBT

HM (alt.): Salvatore

LFL: Love

NFR: The greatest

NFR (alt.): Bartender

Chemtrails: Title track

Chemtrails (alt.): Yosemite

BB: Violets For Roses

giphy.gif

BTD: Born To Die, National Anthem, Dark Paradise, Carmen, Without You

Paradise: American, Cola, Gods & Monsters, Bel Air

UV: Cruel World, Ultraviolence, Brooklyn Baby, Sad Girl, The Other Woman, Black Beauty, Flipside

HM: Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To, The Blackest Day, 24, Swan Song

LFL: Love, Lust For Life, Groupie Love, Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind, God Bless America, Get Free

NFR: Norman Fucking Rockwell, Mariners Apartment Complex, Cinnamon Girl, The Next Best American Record, Hope Is A Dangerous Thing

COCC: Chemtrails Over The Country Club, Wild At Heart, Not All Who Wander Are Lost, Dance Till We Die, For Free

BB: Blue Banisters, If You Lie Down With Me, Dealer, Nectar Of The Gods, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom

♡⋆*.⋆ ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

I decided to do this but with just one song so here it is!

A.K.A: Oh Say You Can You See

BTD: Carmen

Paradise: Gods & Monsters

UV: Fucked My Way Up To The Top (& Cruel World I couldn't chose)

HM: Music To Watch Boys To

LFL: Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

NFR: Happiness Is A Butterfly

COCC: Wild At Heart

BB: Nectar of the Gods

(I haven't heard the l*aks but from the singles)

DYK: Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard

UtrMWJM.jpg

~Mon amour,  je sais que tu m'aimes aussi ~