Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

1 minute ago, cranekiss said:

it's not just her worst album lyrically its her worst album sonically, thematically, melodically, instrumentally, vocally, etc

if someone were to tell me BB was their favorite album i would not believe them at all. im sorry i love lana to death she is one of my favorite musicians of all time but this album was such a fucking disappointment... how the hell do you have NOTG, LL, CB, Thunder, Dealer, and Wildflower Wildfire all on the same album and still manage to have it be a rancid record... like it has good songs (the ones i just mentioned) but dear god its A HORRIBLE ALBUM and i am tired of people defending it like its the best thing since sliced bread i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hate

Cranekiss is a hater. 

6 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Thank heavens y'all brought the "mixtape" derogatory misconception to the table.

Why is a mixtape inferior to an album? Just remember Charli XCX's mixtapes Number 1 Angel and Pop 2 are right there and they've been often considered as superior than some of her actual albums.

A mixtape and an album are not quite different from each other aside from its denomination but it's literally the same way to create them, both could or could not feature artists, spawn singles, have a tour for further promotion, get music videos, scrapped tracks...

Little side note - mixtapes' most notable difference with albums is that the former are usually less restrictive than albums in terms of creative freedom, but not even that is a requisite.

Sorry for the topic deviation, just in case.

1. she actually considers these to be albums and the only reason why they were released as "mixtapes" was because her label wouldnt let her release music that she wanted to release if they werent "mixtapes" because if they were released as "albums" they'd have to fund it, promote it, commission visuals for it, etc

2. BB imo feels like it is a a mixtape because all the songs clash with each other, it feels like a playlist honestly rather than a mixtape actually fhijdsbnfhds

Just now, Vertimus said:

Cranekiss is a hater. 

AND PROUD!!!!

1 minute ago, cranekiss said:

how the hell do you have NOTG, LL, CB, Thunder, Dealer, and Wildflower Wildfire all on the same album and still manage to have it be a rancid record...

ngl… her putting these songs on BB made me have negative feelings about them when they were some of my faves before :bebe: i just see them as part of her worst album now. 

8 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

It's so pretentious to me

Also her vocals are so unconvincing… you used to be able to always feel her emotions in her songs, I mean I know it’s not bb but just look at the lyrical/vocal difference in lmlylaw/pink champagne! Pink champagnes performance is so much more compelling, I think even if pink champagne was bare piano I would enjoy it more than lmlylaw:bebe: or to make a more relevant example wfwf has probably some of the best lyrics on the album (even though I hate the hot coffee hot fire hot weather part lol) but her vocals are soooo bland lol, however with love song on NFR (which I don’t really see cited as a lyrical masterpiece lol) her performance really sells you on the idea she’s trying to convey

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Just now, mlittle11 said:

ngl… her putting these songs on BB made me have negative feelings about them when they were some of my faves before :bebe: i just see them as part of her worst album now. 

she knew the album was lacking so she was like ok lets have the lipsters dance to the old shit and it did NOT work... i still love the songs (NOTG especially, one of her most underrated songs lyrically ever idk why its always been so immaculate to me) but they deserved a much better home... and NOTG, CB and LL did NOT DESERVE TO BE RELEASED AS YOUTUBE RIPS WHAT THE HELL WAS SHE THINKING THE SESSIONS FOR ALL OF THESE SONGS (I THINK?) LITERALLY LEAKED... LANA DEL REY PLEASE GO ON MISS DAYTONA COLLECTION WIX SITE AND RIGHT YOUR WRONG

I know some people are probably fuming because there are negative opinions being posted about a Lana album (this is a music discussion forum get over it!) but if I were to rank every single song off of her albums, most of BB would be at the absolute bottom. I genuinely love every single Lana album except for Blue Banisters. It's the only Lana album that has songs I never want to listen to. Even songs from previous albums that I'm not too crazy about like Coachella or White Mustang have qualities about them that I love, and I'll still listen to them when they come on. But I find no joy in listening to songs like Violet for Roses or Beautiful. The opposite even.

qfrWuBl.png

i would honestly rather listen to charli xcx - lucky without autotune than listen to BB ever again at least lucky without autotune would have some sort of comedic value

1 minute ago, taco truck said:

Also her vocals are so unconvincing… you used to be able to always feel her emotions in her songs, I mean I know it’s not bb but just look at the lyrical/vocal difference in lmlylaw/pink champagne! Pink champagnes performance is so much more compelling, I think even in pink champagne was bare piano I would enjoy it more than lmlylaw:bebe: or to make a more relevant example wfwf has probably some of the best lyrics on the album (even though I hate the hot coffe hot fire hot weather part lol) but he vocals are soooo bland lol, however with love song on NFR (which I don’t really see cited as a lyrical masterpiece lol) her performance really sells you on the idea she’s trying to convey

YES YES YES. she wasnt singing with any feeling which is what ive always loved about her voice. ever since she’s been (what im assuming is) training her voice, that quality has just totally gone away. its so sad. 

I will say sweet carolina has pretty melodies! and if you lie down with me would've been great had she not reworked it and given us the UV version!

but black bathing suit is her worst song ever like its so bad its so bad oh my god i can write an encyclopedia on how flawed that song is im sorry djnsdahfbsd LANA DEL REY WE LOVE YOU but your album sucked. and that's ok!!!!

2 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

I know some people are probably fuming because there are negative opinions being posted about a Lana album (this is a music discussion forum get over it!) but if I were to rank every single song off of her albums, most of BB would be at the absolute bottom. I genuinely love every single Lana album except for Blue Banisters. It's the only Lana album that has songs I never want to listen to. Even songs from previous albums that I'm not too crazy about like Coachella or White Mustang have qualities about them that I love, and I'll still listen to them when they come on. But I find no joy in listening to songs like Violet for Roses or Beautiful. The opposite even.

Please if this conversation had happened before ob release people would be threatening our lives:bebe: i think ob made people realize just how terrible this album is

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

The one and only song I listen to from this record is Thunder. I like the released version and the demo for different reasons, but the demo is better if I had to choose one.

Never liked Dealer, I don’t get the appeal. Same with Black Bathing Suit, sonically a mess for me.

Might throw on Sweet Carolina at Christmas time for the vibes. 

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

Just now, taco truck said:

Please if this conversation had happened before ob release people would be threatening our lives:bebe: i think ob made people realize just how terrible this album is

bc we finally got some good fucking food like fingertips (the worst song on Ocean Blvd) is better than 75 percent of BB

a&w, peppers, fishtail, candy necklace, etc... these are her best songs in YEARS 

Lana herself said she didn't even really want people to listen to Blue Banisters and it was more so just an album made to get information out there for those that are interested, and I'm gonna treat it as such! At the end of the day this album gave her a way to put Dealer out there after she couldn't make it work for COCC so I'm not mad at its existence.

qfrWuBl.png

9 minutes ago, cranekiss said:

1. she actually considers these to be albums and the only reason why they were released as "mixtapes" was because her label wouldnt let her release music that she wanted to release if they werent "mixtapes" because if they were released as "albums" they'd have to fund it, promote it, commission visuals for it, etc

2. BB imo feels like it is a a mixtape because all the songs clash with each other, it feels like a playlist honestly rather than a mixtape actually fhijdsbnfhds

lol you're right, it's more of a playlist rather than a mixtape. wish people would stop using mixtape as a derogatory term when there's nothing bad about mixtapes lol

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

8 hours ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Enough time has passed.

This album was absolutely terrible and it's astonishing how this was even approved to be released. There is quite literally 0 redeeming qualities about this album besides Dealer which is an obvious filler song... This should have been an EP at best :horror:

Song rating + tiny review for each song)

Hide contents

Text Book: 2/10 (one of the worst songs of her career)

Blue Banisters: 5/10 (Sweet but extremely boring, I can never finish this song because it drags half way through)

Arcadia: 4/10 (Worst vocals of her career and simply uninteresting) 

Interlude - The Trio: 7/10 (Useless but a good break from those 3 extremely draining songs above)

Black Bathing Suit: 3/10 (Horribly produced song about being fat and being rich so you don't care about the haters yet a song was made about it.. sloppy)

If You Lie Down With Me: 5/10 (Doesn't stand out in her discography but it stands out in this album even though I can not remember what this song sounds like at all)

Beautiful: 5/10 (Stupid song but I really like the melody)

Violets For Roses: 3/10 (Stupid song)

Dealer: 9/10 (Good song, very enjoyable and the streams how that in comparison to everything else off the record)

Thunder: 5/10 (It's fine.. I prefer the surf beats of the unreleased version honestly but I never really cared for this song even when it was unreleased)

Wildflower Wildfire: 6/10 (I like it)

Nectar of the Gods: 5/10 (When I said I wanted this released I meant I wanted it reworked... not a YTtoMP3 concept demo being released in horrible quality)

Living Legend: 4/10 (Why was this put on the album?)

Cherry Blossom: 6/10 (Underrated song on the album that needed a rework)

Sweet Carolina: 6/10 (I like it)

Lyrical Rating: 5/10

Productional Rating: 2/10

Overall rating: 5/10

Top 3 songs: Dealer, Wildflower Wildfire, Sweet Carolina

Bottom 3 songs: Text book, Violet For Roses, Black Bathing Suit

IJBOL  :thumb3:  ur song reviews 💀

1 minute ago, TrashMagiq said:

Lana herself said she didn't even really want people to listen to Blue Banisters and it was more so just an album made to get information out there for those that are interested, and I'm gonna treat it as such! At the end of the day this album gave her a way to put Dealer out there after she couldn't make it work for COCC so I'm not mad at its existence.

yes exactly n thats why i try to not fault her for this album :true: she wasnt exactly proud of it either. but im still a huge hater bc i KNOW lana can do a million times better n it felt like she chose to make a horrible record with this one. 

NOTG, LL, Dealer, Wildflower Wildfire, CB, and Thunder all deserved better homes like seriously: NOTG, LL, CB, and Thunder should've been saved for the imminent unreleased compilation (i'm high on copium i know) and Wildflower Wildfire should've been saved for Ocean Blvd and given better production by Jack Antonoff (You can all hate me idgaf COTCC was a rough patch.) and it should've replaced Fingertips

1 minute ago, Glitter Boy said:

lol you're right, it's more of a playlist rather than a mixtape. wish people would stop using mixtape as a derogatory term when there's nothing bad about mixtapes lol

It’s lol that’s bad. 

Just now, cranekiss said:

NOTG, LL, Dealer, Wildflower Wildfire, CB, and Thunder all deserved better homes like seriously: NOTG, LL, CB, and Thunder should've been saved for the imminent unreleased compilation (i'm high on copium i know) and Wildflower Wildfire should've been saved for Ocean Blvd and given better production by Jack Antonoff (You can all hate me idgaf COTCC was a rough patch.) and it should've replaced Fingertips Kintsugi

Exactly

qfrWuBl.png