Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

19 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

why is there so much bb hate, i love it
it was the first lana vinyl i ever bought too
before ocean blvd, it was tied with UV for my favorite album, now it's tied with NFR tho (below UV, HM, and OB)

before ocean blvd, it was her best lyricism to date, and holds some of my all time favorite songs in it like Violets For Roses, Thunder, Living Legend, etc.

Please I will never understand this argument and it’s literally the only defense half of you have for this album:lmao: sure maybe the topics are more interesting to people who care about lana’s life but the lyricism itself is really not that great? there are some cute moments but there are so many clunky lyrics and one’s that are just cheesy and bad (looking at you beautiful)… the best lyrics are the ones on the previous unreleased songs:bebe:

also im not trying to mean to u @ivory almond you are allowed to love the album I just needed to speak my truth:trisha:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

In response to LittleRedPartyDress: 

I wouldn’t say that. I think it’s very in keeping with the rest of her catalog, and better than some of her other albums that are generally more highly praised.

I still think adding the leaked tracks was a mistake, especially in their original form, and/or using 8th rate copies of them—that’s pretty inexcusable and reflects poorly on her own self-respect for her work as well as her respect for her audience. 

I remember when the delay was announced and Honeymouns or BOZ wrote that she had scrapped some tracks, and was, instead ‘revisiting her past.’ 

What happened to the scrapped tracks? 

Apparently, none were reworked for OB. 

7 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

I mean sure she doesn't have the vocal range of Whitney Houston but she has a beautiful voice and still has the ability to sound good. She sounds absolutely terrible during some parts of Arcadia. She could've easily redone some takes and cleaned it up but probs kept the terrible vocal takes to make the song more honest or whatever. The reason why she sounds bad on Arcadia is not because her vocal ability is greatly reduced. That's a ridiculous statement.

Outside of the studio I said, outside of the studio. I’m pretty certain she recorded ‘Arcadia’ IN the studio. 

She does have a lovely voice, but she needs the studio, just as Nicks and Harry always have. 

Since laziness is a fan theme, rightly or wrongly, of the entire BB project, maybe she was also being lazy with her recording of ‘Arcadia’ too, or no one around her had the nerve to speak up, or perhaps they did and she just blew them off. 

I'll never get the narrative so many push that BB is (one of) her strongest lyrically. To me BB is her worst album lyrically (and worst album in general). BTD, UV and Honeymoon, etc are lyrically Far superior than this album, and it's not even close. I know people have their own taste and opinions but I genuinely think that people that find songs like Blue Banisters or Text Book or whatever better lyrically than songs like Off To The Races, Terrence Loves You or Heroin have bad taste. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I just genuinely think those opinions show a bad taste level :toofunny:

qfrWuBl.png

I really think bb is overhated. Yeah it’s not very cohesive and there’s some weak tracks and production but I absolutely love some of the songs… I like it better than chemtrails tbh and I like chemtrails. Wfwf, black bathing suit, thunder, and sweet Carolina are beautiful songs. Dealer is unlike anything she’s ever done! Not to mention finally getting living legend, nectar of the gods, and cherry blossom released. Idk why it’s just very special to me. It was cool hearing a more personal side of her! 

1 minute ago, Let the Light In said:

I remember it became everybody’s favorite album when it was first released :awkney:

No literally I just went back and read the first 10 pages and damn people were lying to themselves and really overcompensating:awkney:

4 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Outside of the studio I said, outside of the studio. I’m pretty certain she recorded ‘Arcadia’ IN the studio. 

She does have a lovely voice, but she needs the studio, just as Nicks and Harry always have. 

I disagree. There are so many live performances out there where she sounds WAY better than the studio. She executes spontaneous  improvs on the stage frequently. 

6 hours ago, lmdr said:

this album is the pits. I don’t even count it, rank it, acknowledge it. It’s a mixtape to me

this is exactly how i feel about this album. i dont think i’ll ever “come back” to it. its just bad. worst of her career by far

1 minute ago, TrashMagiq said:

I'll never get the narrative so many push that BB is (one of) her strongest lyrically. To me BB is her worst album lyrically (and worst album in general). BTD, UV and Honeymoon, etc are lyrically Far superior than this album, and it's not even close. I know people have their own taste and opinions but I genuinely think that people that find songs like the Blue Banisters or Text Book or whatever better lyrically than songs like Off To The Races, Terrence Loves You or Heroin have bad taste. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I just genuinely think those opinions show a bad taste level :toofunny:

People just think things that don’t have a real melody and are more personal are more intellectual and thus better lol… Lana‘s strength has always been melody, imagery, and storytelling and it became obvious when she strayed away from that on bb

5 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I remember it became everybody’s favorite album when it was first released :awkney:

Thankfully, I saw the light :pray2:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

2 minutes ago, taco truck said:

No literally I just went back and read the first 10 pages and damn people were lying to themselves and really overcompensating:awkney:

i think that just tends to happen when ur fave releases something :smile3: u really wanna believe its everything you wanted but then the excitement wears off. this happened to me with both bb and ocean blvd

Just now, mlittle11 said:

i think that just tends to happen when ur fave releases something :smile3: u really wanna believe its everything you wanted but then the excitement wears off. this happened to me with both bb and ocean blvd

Ya I do think ocean blvd is miles better than bb but i def don’t love it as much as I did when it first released:air: 

2 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

I disagree. There are so many live performances out there where she sounds WAY better than the studio. She executes spontaneous  improvs on the stage frequently. 

And there are far, far more where she sounds awful. Even the last live country thing she did in TN or TX, she sounded very weak vocally. 

4 minutes ago, taco truck said:

People just think things that don’t have a real melody and are more personal are more intellectual and thus better lol… Lana‘s strength has always been melody, imagery, and storytelling and it became obvious when she strayed away from that on bb

It's so pretentious to me

qfrWuBl.png

36 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

As to her poor vocals on ‘Arcadia’ and (perhaps) others on BB, she doesn’t have the strongest voice to begin with. This should be apparent to at least her older Stans by now. 

She’s in the Debbie Harry/Stevie Nicks category, not in the Whitney Houston/Linda Ronstadt/Ann Wilson/Tori

Amos category.

Lana has never been a powerhouse type of singer. 

She conveys emotions infinite times better than 99% of artists out there with her vocal inflections. (EG : Goodbye Kiss BBC live lounge. Chelsea hotel no2 Live. Diamonds and Rust with Joan Baez.)

She has a very dynamic range and style, shifting between genres and registers. 

Then by your argument , the same could be said about Taylor/Billie/Lorde and so on.

an album with any of the lyrics from arcadia, vfr, or beautiful does not deserve to be called her best album lyrics wise. its so bad. i was IN SHOCK when i heard how bad beautiful was

4 minutes ago, taco truck said:

Hey, from the start of this thread I’ve said I like every (new) song on BB except the title track, with its embarrassing name-dropping and other lyrical faults. 

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

And there are far, far more where she sounds awful. Even the last live country thing she did in TN or TX, she sounded very weak vocally. 

Agreed.  I attribute that to her vaping/nerves since she hasn't toured in years.

She sounded gorgeous on BUS live 3 years ago. Jack butchered the studio version.

8 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

I'll never get the narrative so many push that BB is (one of) her strongest lyrically. To me BB is her worst album lyrically (and worst album in general). BTD, UV and Honeymoon, etc are lyrically Far superior than this album, and it's not even close. I know people have their own taste and opinions but I genuinely think that people that find songs like Blue Banisters or Text Book or whatever better lyrically than songs like Off To The Races, Terrence Loves You or Heroin have bad taste. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I just genuinely think those opinions show a bad taste level :toofunny:

it's not just her worst album lyrically its her worst album sonically, thematically, melodically, instrumentally, vocally, etc

if someone were to tell me BB was their favorite album i would not believe them at all. im sorry i love lana to death she is one of my favorite musicians of all time but this album was such a fucking disappointment... how the hell do you have NOTG, LL, CB, Thunder, Dealer, and Wildflower Wildfire all on the same album and still manage to have it be a rancid record... like it has good songs (the ones i just mentioned) but dear god its A HORRIBLE ALBUM and i am tired of people defending it like its the best thing since sliced bread i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hater i am a hate