Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

I feel sad when I see "Violets for Roses" slander because I think it's one of her most beautiful songs...it really captures that feeling my friends and I had after the first COVID vaccine was made available and the world started slowly opening up again and we felt hope for the first time in a long time. And "The Paramount sign sparkling, sparkling just for me" line always makes me a little teary. On a personal level it's also a great song to accompany you coming out of a depressive episode lol 

The reaction to Blue Banisters is so fascinating to me b/c I know a couple of Lana skeptics who converted to huge fans because of this album, but it seems a lot of long time Lana fans really don't like it. I still think TB, BB, and WW are a little clunky but I find them interesting as a bridge between pre-BB songwriting and the songwriting that is going to dominate DYKTTATUOB. 

~*Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita fires.*~

11 minutes ago, eyesoflauranyro said:

I feel sad when I see "Violets for Roses" slander because I think it's one of her most beautiful songs...it really captures that feeling my friends and I had after the first COVID vaccine was made available and the world started slowly opening up again and we felt hope for the first time in a long time. And "The Paramount sign sparkling, sparkling just for me" line always makes me a little teary. On a personal level it's also a great song to accompany you coming out of a depressive episode lol 

The reaction to Blue Banisters is so fascinating to me b/c I know a couple of Lana skeptics who converted to huge fans because of this album, but it seems a lot of long time Lana fans really don't like it. I still think TB, BB, and WW are a little clunky but I find them interesting as a bridge between pre-BB songwriting and the songwriting that is going to dominate DYKTTATUOB. 

Text Book is one of my favorite opening tracks of hers. The lyrics, the production and change in tempo are stunning.

Do I love everything about Blue Banisters? Yes and no. Sure, some tracks could've benefitted from a deeper production, others from a more punchy production, maybe some different vocal takes... Perfection's not the point of it. If music was made strictly from a scientific standpoint, or to adhere to a formula, it'd just be boring to listen to because there'd be nothing human about it.

The reason why Blue Banisters is my favorite studio album from Lana is because there's a different kind of honesty than I've heard on any of the other albums. It's a really beautiful, earnest, no-frills navigation through the human experience, the cost of fame, mental health, and the impact of generational/family trauma. It's an elegant "fuck you" to all the backlash over the years, and also reflective of the introspection and inner-work she's been doing since the Chemtrails era.

"Living Legend" and "Cherry Blossom" have a strange duality going on where they feel out of place, but they also fit right in when you look at the album from the wider lens. Especially considering the context of why she wrote "Living Legend", it's hard to deny its right to the tracklist.

It'd be weird to expect everyone to love every album, or be on the same page with what albums are "a masterpiece" or "the best," because it's all subjective and relative to what's happening to you when the art finds you.

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. This is my #1 Lana album, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it stays that way after Did you know... releases.

10 hours ago, Stoop Kid said:

Do I love everything about Blue Banisters? Yes and no. Sure, some tracks could've benefitted from a deeper production, others from a more punchy production, maybe some different vocal takes... Perfection's not the point of it. If music was made strictly from a scientific standpoint, or to adhere to a formula, it'd just be boring to listen to because there'd be nothing human about it.

The reason why Blue Banisters is my favorite studio album from Lana is because there's a different kind of honesty than I've heard on any of the other albums. It's a really beautiful, earnest, no-frills navigation through the human experience, the cost of fame, mental health, and the impact of generational/family trauma. It's an elegant "fuck you" to all the backlash over the years, and also reflective of the introspection and inner-work she's been doing since the Chemtrails era.

"Living Legend" and "Cherry Blossom" have a strange duality going on where they feel out of place, but they also fit right in when you look at the album from the wider lens. Especially considering the context of why she wrote "Living Legend", it's hard to deny its right to the tracklist.

It'd be weird to expect everyone to love every album, or be on the same page with what albums are "a masterpiece" or "the best," because it's all subjective and relative to what's happening to you when the art finds you.

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. This is my #1 Lana album, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it stays that way after Did you know... releases.

I love this ❤️ And I feel the same exact way. Blue Banisters is probably the album of Lana’s that I resonate with most closely from a purely thematic and lyrical standpoint - and I think it really shows her humanness.

I love what you’ve written here about “perfection” that adheres to a formulaic standard not being the point of the record because I feel so often that the sonics of this record come under such scrutiny. But really - it’s the words and her voice that carry all the weight for me, and the reason I’m a fan of 12 years. I’m excited for Ocean Blvd for the same reasons as well, and I’m so glad she’s going to delve deeper into the narrative that began on Blue Banisters. 

God thank God! Blue Banisters is the least liked album by many fans who post here, with special mention Beautiful as the worst song - how the vocals are [un]produced, done in one take, off-key, etc. But I like it! So does ForWhateverReason. Makes me excited for Kintsugi!

On 3/3/2023 at 11:36 PM, Stoop Kid said:

That. Thank yoooooooouuuuuuu!!!

On 3/3/2023 at 12:48 AM, Rico25 said:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the vulnerable masterpiece that is Wildflower Wildfire? 

May I share this terribly indulgent cover on youtube by Broadway-worthy singer OBpQddLJLka5J7Ys_8OvOh873M9JmtdCARFy7SvE Luno St. Lux?  . . . Blue Banisters didn't hit for me - especially WW, on which the outro is described by some as sloppy and I felt personally burnt too hot until this sensitive interpretation . . . After listening I tweeted it saying the Blue Banisters era is upon us! Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, Louise said:

May I share this terribly indulgent cover on youtube by Broadway-worthy singer OBpQddLJLka5J7Ys_8OvOh873M9JmtdCARFy7SvE Luno St. Lux?  . . . Blue Banisters didn't hit for me - especially WW, on which the outro is described by some as sloppy and I felt personally burnt too hot until this sensitive interpretation . . . After listening I tweeted it saying the Blue Banisters era is upon us! Enjoy!

I can't barely hear him... but I don't think I'm missing out on sth

4 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

I can't barely hear him... but I don't think I'm missing out on sth

Oh well taste. To me, that cover is everything!

Edited to say, it shows what a good song-writer Lana Del Rey is . . . a strong operatic voice took it to another level!

Edited by Louise
see above.

Just coming to this thread to vindicate again this album as her most profound and touching one and as my personal favourite by her.

Truly hope time will behave as it should regarding this inmensely beautiful record.

Violets for Roses is one of my favorite songs from BB. The melody and lyrics are lovely. I’m surprised to hear it is disliked.:O

I read a post by someone making a guess that violet = blue = Lana’s favorite color as she mentions it a lot in her songs, and therefor “trade my violets for roses” is word play about her making sacrifices for someone she loves. Gives it a new meaning. 

:sluttybunny:🌧️

I like pretty much all of the songs on Blue Banisters except for Arcadia; the lyrics aren’t particularly great. I still prefer Chemtrails for an overall album experience though 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”

7 minutes ago, maysparkle said:

I like pretty much all of the songs on Blue Banisters except for Arcadia; the lyrics aren’t particularly great. I still prefer Chemtrails for an overall album experience though 

I agree, I feel like it's an unpopular opinion, but Arcadia doesn't do much for me as a song, it's cute but kinda eh. 

The album is a mess in retrospect-I’m going to give chemtrails another chance-never listened in full , BB has some great tracks and I still consider it better than NFR but it doesn’t really flow at all and was clearly rushed- YouTube rips of tons of tracks on the album💀 Dealer should have stayed on chemtrails and that’s where I’ll put it

The fact that Lana's catalog of music is so exquisite that THIS is the album people complain about :eartha:

Other artists dream to be able to create something as authentic and beautiful as Blue Banisters. That is a fact. :true:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.