Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

3 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

The album is a mess in retrospect-I’m going to give chemtrails another chance-never listened in full , BB has some great tracks and I still consider it better than NFR but it doesn’t really flow at all and was clearly rushed- YouTube rips of tons of tracks on the album💀 Dealer should have stayed on chemtrails and that’s where I’ll put it

If nobody had ever noticed or mentioned that they're YT rips do you think you'd enjoy that part of the album more?

12 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Tbh honest, I'd rather Lana release an "Unreleased" tracks record containing literally these songs:

Serial Killer (shoulda been on Born to Die)

Hollywood (shoulda been on Honymoon, woulda fit perfectly, especially with more of a trap production)

You Can be the Boss (shoulda been on Born to Die or Paradise)

Backfire (shoulda been on Born to Die or Paradise)

Driving in Cars with Boys (shoulda been on Born to Die or Paradise)

Ridin'  (shoulda been on Born to Die or Paradise)

Your Girl (why this was cut off Ultraviolence is one of life's greatest mysteries. Woulda fit perfectly)

Say Yes To Heaven (shoulda been on Ultra or Honeymoon)

Goodbye Kiss (my fav cover of hers alongside Doin' Time)

Angels Forever, Forever Angels (shoulda been an Ultra bonus track)

I wanted to quote this here given some of the complaints about Blue Banisters not being cohesive, partly due to the "recycled" unreleased tracks

I actually like having these unreleased tracks incorporated into BB rather than having an unreleased album because they fit the overall theme

The two issues however were that they are better than most of the songs recorded for the album and that there was no real hype listening to them because we knew them already. This left us in a situation where we couldn't even be excited about some of the best tracks on the album haha

My main problem with BB is that it’s one song or two too long, especially with the piano-only tracks. It’s also a bit tricky, to rely on minimalist production for a subject matter as « obtuse » as motherhood, for which the audience might not relate (throughout all of her albums, there are always songs I don’t connect with but the production was interesting enough that I ended up loving those songs as well, like Art Deco or Carmen or even Florida Kilos; on BB, it’s another matter). So, maybe Beautiful could have had the chop (even though I’m one of the few that love it), or keep either Sweet Caroline or Cherry Blossom. Nectar of the Gods is not a fan-fave but I love it so much (and it’s guitar and not piano haha). Living Legend, I’ll have to give it another chance because apart from the wha wha wha part, I don’t love it. 

Blue Banisters

Arcadia

Wildflower Wildfire

Beautiful

Dance Till We Die

Violets For Roses

Sweet

Let Me Love You Like A Woman

Black Bathing Suit

Fingertips

Sweet Carolina

For Free

i mean this could’ve been its own grandma themed album instead of clumping together and dragging down the last three consecutive records…

In my opinion, the album is too long, she should have cut some tracks and it would be a little sister to COTCC.

1. Text Book

2. Blue Banisters

3. Arcadia

4. Black Bathing Suit

5. If You Lie Down With Me

6. Beautiful

7. Violets for Roses

8. Thunder

9. Wildflower Wildfire

10. Cherry Blossom

11. Sweet Carolina

1 hour ago, Veinsineon said:

Blue Banisters

Arcadia

Wildflower Wildfire

Beautiful

Dance Till We Die

Violets For Roses

Sweet

Let Me Love You Like A Woman

Black Bathing Suit

Fingertips

Sweet Carolina

For Free

i mean this could’ve been its own grandma themed album instead of clumping together and dragging down the last three consecutive records…

The scream I let out

No, but seriously…you spilled!

"Chemtrails over the Country Club cover art was a black and white photograph of a group of women, including Del Rey, sitting around a table presumably at one of these clubs. Some commented that given the political climate around Black Lives Matter it wouldn’t hurt for her to feature Black women on her album artwork (the women on the cover art were Del Rey’s friends and some of them were women of colour). Immediately after being condemned for her response to that criticism, Del Rey decided to create and release more music about the accusations of cultural appropriation and previous claims that she glamourised domestic abuse. “I was just like, ‘Let me try and write an album that maybe could explain why, if that was true, let’s say, I could potentially identify with certain modes of operating,’” she says. “So, Blue Banisters was more of an explanatory album, more of a defensive album, which is why I didn’t promote it, period, at all. I didn’t want anyone to listen to it. I just wanted it to be there in case anyone was ever curious for any information.” 

Source

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

Posted this in the Rolling Stone Interview thread, but figured it'd be worth posting in here, too.

It felt so good to read her intention of what BB means to her, because I've always been sliiiiightly confused by it, in an endearing way. Like, it was basically a brand new album from her, and not a compilation album... but a handful of the tracks are old recordings, there are multiple producers, mixers - it's just a total hodge-podge of an album. I've always viewed it as this sort of explanatory, messy scrapbook of an album crafted by Lana where she mines and muddles her current state with parts of her past/history. To have clarity that she sees it as (sort of) Further Listening, or a companion album to her discography for a deeper dive, or even just "One For the Hardcore Fans" is really enlightening. It wasn't ever intended to be this perfect, tightly-focused pillar album in her discography... It's a stepping stone, supporting documents, a "defense", explanation.

Obviously, we were spoiled in 2021 despite everything going on and received two albums in one year, but I wonder if she considers Ocean Blvd to be the fully realized follow-up to Chemtrails after the side-detour that was BB (thinking of it as a map, I guess)?

Anyway. I love when she talks about her albums individually because it presents them in a new light for me, especially as she continues to develop her discography. Every album has its place, and we're lucky to stan an artist who gives so much of herself as Lana does.

18 hours ago, The Love Witch said:

The way it kind of didn't explain anything.

She sings about issues with her family, traumas and fears, use of drugs, insecurities and she literally added a lullaby imagined for a child that she doesn't have. Maybe you didn't get it (and that's okay!) but the album explained a lot.

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

I’m listening through this album again and it’s definitely a step up from chemtrails to me- i do think it was a bad decision to release blue banisters as a hype single but I can understand it in the context of the album now and it’s honestly an okay song, I also like text book but the BLM shouldn’t have been included- very clunky! 

On 3/8/2023 at 2:29 AM, Veinsineon said:

How did you guess it's grammy's favorite? Here is a little reaction / fan tribute I created for the studio version of Cherry Blossom . . . to be deleted in a day. Grammy Louise is happy and at peace with the release of Blue Banisters! And I'm not saying any of your opinions are not valid and rank other Lana songs and albums superior! Whatever speaks you! But Ocean is shaping up to surpass them all, I am worried! :)

After going thru my Liked Songs playlist on Spotify BB is objectively my favorite Lana album and recently my most played...This happened without me noticing frl and seeing all the hate towards BB is just :awkney:

ALSO- "Blue Banisters was more of an explanatory album, more of defensive album, which is why I didn't promote it, period, at all. I didn't want anyone to listen to it. I just wanted it to be there in case anyone was ever curious for any information." This just makes me love it more.

Edited by clementines

5 minutes ago, nectarofthegodss said:

Not this slander again 

Sometimes we need to take a step back and realize maybe it gets so much slander because it isn’t very good:kiss2:

Anyway I can’t wait for Ocean Blvd… kind of sad it didn’t leak today but honestly if it doesn’t leak, release night will be really exciting with everyone

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・