Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 hour ago, kuntsugi said:

not the subtle lana drag :deadbanana:

Oh I've said this openly in Lana threads, it's no secret and I know many fans agree.Blue Banisters is still a really good song but the lyrics... :eek3:

Anyway, off topic but I'm just saying, I'm not really dragging Lana. It just reinforces the idea that when artists sort of settle down and are more content with their lives their artistry goes downhill. Or maybe it's just fucking California that ruins artists since Marina moved there too a few years ago. :crossed:

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

15 minutes ago, BlueINK said:

Oh I've said this openly in Lana threads, it's no secret and I know many fans agree.Blue Banisters is still a really good song but the lyrics... :eek3:

Anyway, off topic but I'm just saying, I'm not really dragging Lana. It just reinforces the idea that when artists sort of settle down and are more content with their lives their artistry goes downhill. Or maybe it's just fucking California that ruins artists since Marina moved there too a few years ago. :crossed:

oh i just found the subtle lana "drag" funny in the middle of a marina rant that's why i pointed it out :oic2: but yeah i totally agree with the california bit, seems to be a recurrent problem with everyone that moves there 

9 hours ago, AllForYou said:

then with her losing motivation after FROOT and possibly being pressured into releasing L+F earlier than she was ready

im convinced that she was bound by contract that she needed to release an album every x amount of years. I remember one interview where she just randomly went "yeah, y'know it's not because I've signed a contract with atlantic records and I need to fulfil that contract". Like no one even questioned it, at all? But also she was like after a year of quitting I was still writing and wasn't allowing myself to stop. She quit in 2016, meaning she fully allowed herself to quit in 2017 (but a majority of LF outtakes were recorded during this time, so when did she quit? It definitely wasn't in 2018 because she recorded most of the final tracklist during this time. so um girl when did you properly quit?

I think the earlier tracks from the album are much better. I think she was writing for herself, opposed to release something. Then as she begun to come back to music more, she felt more pressured. But then she said that LF was made from a place that was not influenced by ego or validation.

Maybe it's the 4th album curse, idk. But I would've never seen marina make L+F, it's like so different, it feels so incohesive in my opinion, like AllForYou said, she used to do complete packages, Land + Fill felt more like an envelope that was posted without a postage stamp and got lost in the royal mail strikes. Like the only final LF tracks I could see Marina writing would be To Be Human, Handmade Heaven, Too Afraid and Soft To Be Strong, maybe End of The Earth too.

How did she go from puns like Shampain, EVOL and Just Desserts, that were all very well written, and authentic to her (imo) to OOOOORANGE TREES.

Spoiler

the way apple music doesnt count it as an album kills me so much :lmao:

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

since this thread "girl needs to get diamonds back" and "L+F is bad" bores me to death, on a positive note I'd like to point that Electra Heart is now Platinum eligible in the US and The Family Jewels is close to Gold, but Marina would need to buy the certificate herself since probably Atlantic cannot do it anymore.

original.gif

1 hour ago, vrtvie said:

since this thread "girl needs to get diamonds back" and "L+F is bad" bores me to death, on a positive note I'd like to point that Electra Heart is now Platinum eligible in the US and The Family Jewels is close to Gold, but Marina would need to buy the certificate herself since probably Atlantic cannot do it anymore.

But can she afford to buy them? Can she? 

Spoiler

Of course she can but "marina poor" is still so funny to me 

D.png

10 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

But can she afford to buy them? Can she? 

Hide contents

Of course she can but "marina poor" is still so funny to me 

i spent like 20 minutes looking for this, thank you for reminding me of this 

1 hour ago, evalionisameme said:

In b4 her next release is a sexual era ft drake collab-

Marina Marina, Ass fatter than Sabrina 

P*ssy tighter than Aayliah 

1 hour ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

B00bies bigger than Shakira's

B!tchez call me poor but I keep winning 

And then Marina starts to sing about how we are poor because men are controlling the electric cars industry while also being disrespectful to mother nature. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

18 hours ago, 132 said:

im convinced that she was bound by contract that she needed to release an album every x amount of years. I remember one interview where she just randomly went "yeah, y'know it's not because I've signed a contract with atlantic records and I need to fulfil that contract". Like no one even questioned it, at all? But also she was like after a year of quitting I was still writing and wasn't allowing myself to stop. She quit in 2016, meaning she fully allowed herself to quit in 2017 (but a majority of LF outtakes were recorded during this time, so when did she quit? It definitely wasn't in 2018 because she recorded most of the final tracklist during this time. so um girl when did you properly quit?

I think the earlier tracks from the album are much better. I think she was writing for herself, opposed to release something. Then as she begun to come back to music more, she felt more pressured. But then she said that LF was made from a place that was not influenced by ego or validation.

saying 'I wasn't forced into releasing this album' is exactly what someone that was forced to release an album would say:toofunny: also I'm not sure when her 'break' was either, FROOT era ended in mid 2016, then she met Jess (her manager) in late 2016, went to LA January-May(ish) 2017 to record enough songs for an album, then did coachella and performed disconnect, I do wonder if this was supposed to be her "big comeback" then she had second thoughts (she said being on stage didn't feel right) and went to uni, but she still said she was writing & reregistered if its worth it in late 2017, then worked all through 2018.

the weird thing with the 2017 tracks is she said she wrote them with no expectation and was going to give them away, and I wonder if that's why they sound less 'forced' than the 2018 tracks? she admitted she wrote EYL and OT to try and make herself happy which is really sad:( I do like OT's lyrics, the production is just not it, EYL would have been better if it didn't have the 'enjoy your problems' line, if you have to explain your reasoning behind it then it's not a good lyric imo. also I find it really sad she was writing all these songs about how unhappy her relationship was in 2017, then proceeded to go out with Jack for three more years:rip: EOTE wasn't even really about Jack it was for a movie, and Superstar's lyrics if you look at them, they don't hold any high praise towards him, she wrote her most romantic song (Froot) when she was single and bored on a rainy day

now she's independent I hope she can release things on her own schedule, she kept saying she wanted to be able to 'just drop' songs whenever she wanted yet has literally never done that in her career so far, in the TFJ era she wanted to cycle between releasing an album then an EP, but if she was contracted for 5 albums, why would she? Charli XCX dropped 2 10 track mixtapes and they didn't count towards her album contract. so why would she put effort into 6 songs if it wouldn't count towards her contract, even if she put them on the next album people would complain that album only had 6 'new' songs instead of 12.

24 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

And then Marina starts to sing about how we are poor because men are controlling the electric cars industry while also being disrespectful to mother nature. 

lead single: kill all men (with this pussy) (feat. cupcakke & greta thunberg)

second single: millionairess (money doesn't grow on trees)

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

33 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

also I find it really sad she was writing all these songs about how unhappy her relationship was in 2017, then proceeded to go out with Jack for three more years:rip:

I honestly think that she knew it was over in 2017 but was so scared to be alone, and maybe even scared of change? 

Also can we take a moment to compile all the songs that could be about Jack/could take inspiration from their relationship

Superstar

Cause I'm A Woman (possibly cause of some of the lyrics)

Spoiler
  • dont you know youre with the motherfucking tiger
  • you say i taste like electricity
  • and you tell me that youve never met somebody like me
  • i like the way you make me feel

Believe in Love

Absent Love

Doubt Your Love

Water Under The Bridge

You

Too Afraid

Please Don't Call Me

What I Wanna Do (Final and Demo lyrics)

Spoiler

original lyric "i want to change but i never seem to get over you"

like most of the lyrics in the final could be inspired by their relationship

Worth It

Now, how many are positive?

Superstar. Like that's it. Maybe Believe in Love, despite it being a fear track, since it seems to discuss her self-doubt more than anything

The rest just kind of paint the relationship in a bad light...like

also i dont wanna seem like a dick but jess and marina met in 2013

49 minutes ago, paris texas said:

lead single: kill all men (with this pussy) (feat. cupcakke & greta thunberg)

second single: millionairess (money doesn't grow on trees)

promotional single: radioactive peta ft. britt barbie

5 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Did they actually meet in 2013? Marina was in a relationship with Burns then and I'm pretty sure I'm a Ruin & Blue are about him.

no, Marina met Jess in 2013, she met Jack in 2014 for Disconnect & they started dating in 2015

also Jack and Grace (the cellist in clean bandit for anyone who doesn't know) broke up in 2015, not sure if those two things are connected but I've always found it interesting...

No Jack was her new man, there was some other guy Ellie Goulding seduced with her fanny which Marina was also 'dating'. It was supposedly a rumor, but Better Than That is about Ellie a 100%. :diva:

1 minute ago, Sis said:

No Jack was her new man, there was some other guy Ellie Goulding seduced with her fanny which Marina was also 'dating'. It was supposedly a rumor, but Better Than That is about Ellie a 100%. :diva:

yep, that's dj burns

also the way marina literally made reference to under the sheets by ellie...girl we know its about her, but respect for not being very messy