Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

i didn't tune it since the beginning and i can't remember who's the woman with marina, is she her publicist or something like that? i remember seeing a post of them in a restaurant on her instagram a while ago

she's her manager

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

I wouldn't say "the context and the meaning between both is completely different". I mean, I think some songs on LOVE would be better if they were put in FEAR and vice versa. Like, how is To Be Human connected to LOVE, which is supposed to be the 'happy' part of the record? And in some way, Handmade Heaven as well.

For me, this 2-parts thing was not necessary after all. The vibes and feelings of the tracks in the whole album are a mixture of different things, but they didn't necessitate a straight division.

You can just tell that she finished the songs and she suddenly came up with this weird love/fear "concept" and added it post production, even though it's unnecessary and not put into practice in a logical way (as you said, most of the songs would "fit" both sides – or neither, because it's just not as black and white as she seems to think).

TFJ didn't have a concept but it had storytelling?? the family jewels is a play on word bc "family jewels" means balls in pretty much every romance language + a hint at the crown jewels + a hint at the fact that she speaks about her upbringing. it's a very clever title and paves the way for the main themes: family and smart puns (and like... the fact she's an overachiever but a title can only hold so much meaning.) 

EH was a concept all along, what are you even saying? back in 2011 she asked her label if she could record 2 projects at the same time, one based around a character she had invented (Electra Heart), and she even wanted to have a new stage name (Electra Heart herself) to release it, and one based around her distress about the whole fame thing. the label said no cos she was broke and she merged the two projects. Miss Y? anyone? I agree that EH was kind of a shitty project in terms of storytelling because there is none, but there's still good social commentary in some songs. also it has great visuals which make a wonderful job at carrying whatever concept there may have been (which, again, she barely scraped the surface)

like while her past projects might not have been entirely thought out they were solid and coherent

half of love is shit sonically, the visuals are nonexistent, the lyrics are bad and when they are good it's not very consistent like what are we talking about?

if f+l was a bunch of songs uploaded to sc it'd still be bad. the problem is not that the concept is half assed, it's that everything is half-assed. nothing is consistent. NOTHING. the only thing that's consistent is the release schedule, which nobody asked for

Ouch, that tea was piping hot, I think I've burned my tongue! 

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

all i read is complain from people that cant write a damn haiku 

this album is about evoking human emotions, not sure why people were expecting the lyrics to be citations of the textbooks she had to read from her psychology class 

I love the sound of Life is Strange ! However I’ve loved a lot of the ‘unpopular’ tunes this era - True, EM, Baby

As well as the popular ones. I’m enjoying this era lol but have a lot of my own criticisms as well as agreeing with yall

like while her past projects might not have been entirely thought out they were solid and coherent

half of love is shit sonically, the visuals are nonexistent, the lyrics are bad and when they are good it's not very consistent like what are we talking about?

if f+l was a bunch of songs uploaded to sc it'd still be bad. the problem is not that the concept is half assed, it's that everything is half-assed. nothing is consistent. NOTHING. the only thing that's consistent is the release schedule, which nobody asked for

I was talking about the album theme/campaign, not the songs. You can 100% believe the songs are not good, but a lot of people's criticisms focus around the Love + Fear idea which is what I'm defending. I really don't see how you can say that nothing about this is consistent? The album clearly does have consistent ideas. The visuals for the singles and the lyric videos have been consistent. It's been the exact same as other eras. Your arguments about the quality of the songs or if you like the them is completely different--again, this is fine but people just need to argue about that instead of acting like she's fallen of the wagon. 

These snippets have me even more excited than I was before!

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

I was talking about the album theme/campaign, not the songs. You can 100% believe the songs are not good, but a lot of people's criticisms focus around the Love + Fear idea which is what I'm defending. I really don't see how you can say that nothing about this is consistent? The album clearly does have consistent ideas. The visuals for the singles and the lyric videos have been consistent. It's been the exact same as other eras. Your arguments about the quality of the songs or if you like the them is completely different--again, this is fine but people just need to argue about that instead of acting like she's fallen of the wagon. 

These snippets have me even more excited than I was before!

i mean nobody has criticised the album campaign? i feel it's only been talked about positively... 

as for the themes, baby, ot, hh, ss and tbh are so different that it's hard to pinpoint a recurrent theme within the record.

to me it doesn't feel consistent cause:

the visuals aren't: all the covers are different and black and white is hardly a recurrent imagery, aside from the cover and promotional images that are basically alternative cuts of the cover (which imo is ugly but whatevs). the videos... are kinda all over the place? i mean they're not bad they just... are not consistent. imo. hh is... weird, ot looks like an ad for greek holidays and tbh a documentary on war? like... idk

the production isn't: hh has a completely different vibe than eyl or eote

the lyrics aren't

like it doesn't feel like ot, baby, hh and eote belong on the same album. she could've let baby where it was with clean bandit, released ot as a separate single and idk advance hh production? like what's the point of having all these different sounding songs with different visuals and themes and lyrics... and to say they all feel like they belong together? on love?

personally it doesn't feel genuine.  that's why i have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that she felt all these songs naturally flow together into a mini-record centred around love. it's not true. they don't. they are much more instagram ispirational than about love, imo. like EYL, OT, HH aren't about love. they are about... idk, influencer with flower crowns at coachella. not about love. 

She should fire Joel Little - his productions are the literal same.

It sounds like Handmade Heaven and To Be Human sonically and I hate his bland productions.

He put his whole FOOT into Lorde’s Pure Heroine............I have to wonder why he’s flopping now..

If you are basing your judgement from EH: the "concept" was basically just the name alone. There was no storyline, and the idea of the Archetypes came just as late in the album process as this albums (in both she looked at the songs she had made and thought "huh I guess this fits with this idea). 

I’m sorry but this is some tea. Just look at the Archetypes music videos on YouTube. They were released in a certain order and each one is label “Part 1/2/3/whatever”, but there’s no overarching storyline or narrative. Let’s all just chill and enjoy the fact that she’s releasing new music