Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

6 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Although Ocean Blvd is her longest album, it feels somewhat shorter than Lust for Life. 
Ocean Blvd is really well-balanced with the tracklist and it switches up at the right moment. Heck, Fingertips and Kintsugi almost feel like they are 4 minutes. Same with A&W. the only track that should have been shortened is the Judas Smith interlude. But all of the other songs go by so fast. 

honestly when i listen to this album its like time melts away and i wonder where the last hour and 20 minutes went once its done. like even honeymoon and norman feel longer to me and i really love those ones so its not like they feel extra long or anything. 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

I feel a disconnect with all of the songs this era, they don't seem to be connecting with me emotionally

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Almost a month after release and I can say I still love this album :blush3:

The "fresh release" momentum has passed, so the initial hype isn't there anymore and I have a more clear idea of what I like and what I don't. 

The album for me is very strong, lyrically, vocally and also sonically. I love that Lana managed to get intimate without sacrificing the production. You can go vulnerable and still have a great, powerful production to back the lyrics up :true:

I could not possibly rank the tracks, as I'm constantly re-discovering a new track to get obsessed with. But I don't feel the need to change much about the album which is honestly good! I'm so very pleased with the final product. 

I am extremely grateful Lana delivered a wonderful 15-track album 🩷 I cannot wait to see where she goes next! :oprah:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

2 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I feel a disconnect with all of the songs this era, they don't seem to be connecting with me emotionally

I understand that. I know you don't like 'LTLI,' and I also don't connect at all with at least a third of the songs.

Even, say, 'Paris, Texas,' I like it a lot, but is there anything to connect with emotionally? It's just a little oddball ditty. 

I like 'The Grants' and 'Grandfather,' but I don't connect with them emotionally, and even find 'The Grants' a little cloying. 

7 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

For me, to see it that way would be a stretch, especially after songs like 'LMLYLAW' and 'Arcadia,' in which she sings about leaving Los Angeles.

We don't know if such lyrics actually mean anything in her real life or feelings, and, if so, may only be momentary. How many houses does she have in Los Angeles? Several, correct? It's not easy to get up and leave permanently when you've got that kind of luxury real estate. And she may want to move for a few years elsewhere while keeping the Southern California home(s).  

I certainly don't see taco Truck x VB as a replacement for or an attempt to improve the NFR! version, because nothing will match or replace the original in all its extended glory. 

i feel like the leaving la stuff is kind of part of her soul searching and wanderlust of the past few albums. and like i don't think it meant she was gonna sell her properties and actually leave for good (i mean she might someday but i think she's probably more likely to just make her main residence elsewhere than to leave for good). its more like she had to get away (both physically and mentally) for some self discovery. especially after she finally got that acclaim and recognition from norman, she was probably left in a state of "where do we go from here?" (again, both physically and mentally) and with family tragedy and heartbreak stacking up and not really facing it, she probably really wanted to figure out who she is and where she belongs in this world. and by the end of this album it feels like she's figured some things out and is ready to be back home and its like she's arrived back at where she was at the beginning of norman but she's older and has a different perspective now.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

15 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I understand that. I know you don't like 'LTLI,' and I also don't connect at all with at least a third of the songs.

Even, say, 'Paris, Texas,' I like it a lot, but is there anything to connect with emotionally? It's just a little oddball ditty. 

I like 'The Grants' and 'Grandfather,' but I don't connect with them emotionally, and even find 'The Grants' a little cloying. 

Yeah i'm still trying to figure out if the disconnect is because of where I am emotionally or if it's just the music

The album isn't really standing out among the other new albums in my Spotify library like they normally do. I've been enjoying the new 100 Gecs record a lot more this year, at least it's getting replayed much more than OB... i'm concerned for my sanity

Or maybe i'm just moving on.. a little 

37 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I certainly don't see taco Truck x VB as a replacement for or an attempt to improve the NFR! version, because nothing will match or replace the original in all its extended glory. 

Very that. :oprah3:

i wonder if the last tracks of the album indicate the sound lana will be exploring next, i think it would be veryyy exciting to hear "more up-beat" songs with that special lana-twist :true: but whether or not that happens, i'm still soooo hyped for what's to come, ik it will be great :trisha:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

23 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Yeah i'm still trying to figure out if the disconnect is because of where I am emotionally or it's just the music

The album isn't really standing out among the other new albums of the year in my Spotify library like they normally do. I've been enjoying the new 100 Gecs record a lot more this year, at least it's getting replayed much more than OB... i'm concerned for my sanity

OB is project stemming from Lana's early middle age. We saw some of that on COCC and BB too--all the humdrum, but no doubt sincere, lyrics about meeting for coffee, walking to the mall, watching television, and doing the laundry.

She's well over the 'fantasy life' she lived during the BTD/P period, long over it. She's got marriage, children, and family on her mind. She's looking back and looking forward, taking stock of her life, figuring out where she is at 37. 

I don't know how old you are, but I think we're going to see less and less 'youth music' as she continues to record, assuming she will continue. 'A&W,' 'Peppers,' and 'Fishtail' are clearly attempts at reaching a younger audience, just as, in some ways, 'Dealer' was. I think 'Kintsugi' and 'Fingertips' are more sincere attempts at experimentation and doing something fresh. 

My guess is that she's heading in the direction of 'The Grants,' Grandfather,' 'Sweet,' and, in terms of singles, songs like 'LTLI' and 'Margaret,' that, like 'Sweet' are general-audience pleasers. 

I don't think it's you, personally. 

I’m kinda shook at how often I find myself intentionally seeking out Fingertips and on top of that in the weirdest moments: when I want to concentrate, when I do cardio, when I get ready, etc. The hold this song has on me is unreal especially because I really didn’t like it at first listen but it really is top tier girls I hope you all see that soon if you don’t already :oprah:

20 minutes ago, margaret soty said:

I'm excited for what's to come on Lana's next albums. I'm sure Ocean Blvd is a transitional album like LFL was. :gclap:

this is exactly what we all said about COCC and BB :biblio: OB is a step in the right direction though

38 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Yeah i'm still trying to figure out if the disconnect is because of where I am emotionally or if it's just the music

The album isn't really standing out among the other new albums in my Spotify library like they normally do. I've been enjoying the new 100 Gecs record a lot more this year, at least it's getting replayed much more than OB... i'm concerned for my sanity

i feel this too. wondering if lana’s new music just isnt really for me anymore? still love her to death tho

1 hour ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I don't necessarily feel a disconnect per se, but I initially really liked most songs, but now three weeks later I'm only really listening to the four songs I really care for (A&W, Candy Necklace, Grandfather, LTLI).

I think it's a beautiful album nonetheless, but I don't feel the same level of addiction or interest that I may have felt with past releases. I just think she's long overdue for an actual switch up with the production team, we've heard new names on this record and I hope that she has interest in working with these people for the next era (Nick Waterhouse, Zach Dawes, Ian Doerr, Mike Hermosa).

3 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I don't necessarily feel a disconnect per se, but I initially really liked most songs, but now three weeks later I'm only really listening to the four songs I really care for (A&W, Candy Necklace, Grandfather, LTLI).

I think it's a beautiful album nonetheless, but I don't feel the same level of addiction or interest that I may have felt with past releases. I just think she's long overdue for an actual switch up with the production team, we've heard new names on this record and I hope that she works with these people for the next era (Nick Waterhouse, Zach Dawes, Mike Hermosa).

I agree about the production and the general sound, which I think could have been so much better overall on OC. How much further can she go in this sleepy direction? 

Ocean Blvd is such a comfort song it's ridiculous. Very much like The Greatest where it's style is just timeless Americana like only she can do. I could have it on repeat all day and would not be bothered. Is it a set up that the next half of the album is full of challenging emotions? Yes lol but we have Cocc if we want peace with her.

12 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i thought you really loved kintsugi?

I do, it's my favourite song on the album. I still really love the songs even though i say i don't feel a strong connection to them, i guess it just means they don't really make me think much about anything involving my personal life. I find it hard to relate to a lot of them, i think if anything i relate to A&W the most.

Kintsugi did make me cry when i first heard it though so i guess that's something! I haven't felt that strongly towards it since though.