one time beauty queen

Barbie (July 2023) dir. Greta Gerwig

40 minutes ago, American Whore said:

missed a huge opportunity to use plastic doll by gaga

I don't really get that; yeah the song is Barbie inspired, but it's a real mood-killer and it uses Barbie as a negative metaphor. Gaga has also been known to follow the same bullshit ideas about Barbie being a bad role model that this film criticizes :toofunny:

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

Spoiler

I thought because Will Ferrell’s character and all his Mattel colleagues acted so weird and ran the same doll-like way as Barbie and when they were gonna change her that it was gonna turn out they were also Ken’s and the ghost Ruth or another woman was gonna be secretly running the game 

giphy.gif

Ok I REALLY hope we get a directors cut, cuz here's a new photo from the editing process

F2KIrbKaMAA_9oY?format=jpg&name=large

WE LOST A POST-CREDIT SCENE OF MIDGE GIVING BIRTH :deadbanana:among so many other scenes in that stack in the bottom right

eating pure vagina

On 7/29/2023 at 11:00 PM, FkaTwinks said:

Ok I REALLY hope we get a directors cut, cuz here's a new photo from the editing process

F2KIrbKaMAA_9oY?format=jpg&name=large

WE LOST A POST-CREDIT SCENE OF MIDGE GIVING BIRTH :deadbanana:among so many other scenes in that stack in the bottom right

my god they filmed ALOT

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

funniest bit for me was the depression barbie commercial shit had my CRYING 

really enjoyed it though probably a 7/10 some of the speeches couldve been cut down a bit in favour of some of the other deleted scenes but still a fun movie and laughed alot

quite liked the ending too

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

52 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

my god they filmed ALOT

yeah; here are the titles I can make out, and what I theorize happens in them:

• 01p2 "Barbie Land Creation" — Margot!Barbie invents Ken as Barbieland builds itself around them, insert narration
  • 13 "Barbie Monument" — duplicate card; was never a deleted scene
  • 37 "Aaron Thru Security" — extension of the build-up to execs finding out about Barbie existing irl
  • 59A "Execs in Rollerblades" — comedic moment of the execs preparing for their travel to Barbieland
  • 73 "Ken Role Auditions" — auditions for a Ken movie, which was mentioned in the film
  • 88 "Boy [?] Up!" — showing the real-world perception of Ken, which is being tainted by the antics in Barbieland
  • 89 "Ken Toys Returned" — what the title says, nobody wants Ken dolls & Mattel are losing money
  • ?? "Mattel Bldg For Rent" — Mattel shutting down amid low doll sales
  • 90A "Barbies Can Save Us" — execs realize the Barbies' scheme succeeding is their only hope
  • 9? "[?] Outer Space" — scene involving Astronaut Barbie?
  • 95p5 "Midge in Labor" — post-credit; Midge is giving birth and the narrator physically interrupts the scene to comment on the absurdity of it

Other ones I have no idea about:

• ?? "[?] Play Mean"
  • ?? "What Barbie Means To Me"

And then other details I found interesting:

• The montage of the different powerful Barbies doing their jobs was meant to follow "Barbie Land Creation" & "Intro To Barbie Land". In the final film, it plays during Margot!Barbie's drive through town, a good few minutes later.
  • The Ken success scenes were meant to directly follow the Depressed Barbie ad, emphasizing the real-world dynamic shift

eating pure vagina

I watched it yesterday and here’s the review I left on letterboxd (you’ll only get it if you’ve been seeing what republican men have been saying about this movie)-

IMG-2053.jpg

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

I watched Oppenheimer first bc it intrigued me more but felt the need to watch this film as well, and you know what, the contrast btwn them’s just great food for thought personally. 

watched this film yesterday, and I honestly think it’s perfect as is. and maybe it’s just me, but I really love it, I think it’s incredibly layered and aware, and I felt more reactions thru it. 

It makes me feel uneasy, not bc of the flatter seeming moments, but bc it’s incredibly relative to us as a society. 

what I take from it in a collective pov is the importance of agency, and how choices can truly pave your way. Free will, and as strange as it might seem, or perhaps self-awarely obvious at first, maybe my mind just works differently but it’s for me, quite authentic and truly wholesome. 

it’s like, ok yes I expected this, and that and this too, but. At the core of it, what I take from it is that heart really matters, it’s ok to not be at optimum, and unpleasantness is something to be  looked over/ respected in a way to be felt and grow through. 

it’s camp, clever, layered, balanced, existential, and immersive and iroincally, simultaneously ironic and authentic at the same time. A lot works for it. It’s very fourth wall and as a person, I felt like I was participating and part of the film as well. I dressed subtly to watch the film, but towards the end of the film, it just got me back to the importance and the core of being authentic, and most importantly being human and cultivating a patience of and for the self, as well as others. 

It’s brilliant in this way and the film resonates w me. I really love it

UV/Honeymoon

Everytime I see Taylor Swift I think of a doll. She would have been a great Barbie too. Margot Robbie did a wonderful job though. And how cute was Dua?!

Especially loved the first minutes of the movie: Barbieland looks nice. Would not mind to have a perfect day every day over there. 🌈💄👗👙🛻🌊☀️

Billie‘s and Dua‘s songs are everything!

Watched it today and it was soo fun. Haven't seen people this excited to go to the movies in so long. There wasn't a single empty seat and people were all dressed up in pink, it was real cute. The last movie I saw in theaters was Super Mario Bros and it was near empty in there lmao. When I went to see Bones and All it literally WAS empty like literally just me and my friend bshdfb (it wasn't that big of a movie but still...). People really don't go to the cinema like they used to here. Very iconic that a movie about Barbie became such a cultural phenomenon and managed to do all this.

qfrWuBl.png

lol i just watched it today

i really liked it. its fun! i feel like the people who disliked it just didnt get the irony or just chose not to see it

ill say that when i read that the movie was about 'barbie goes to the real world' i could see where it would go but it was more than that!!

i got a bit emocional with the scenes of barbie thinking about the real world. this feeling was really good but it faded so quick that im thinking of watching it again so im paying attention enough to soak it and understand it idk

i was so into it i wasnt expecting to end with that scene at all. i want more it was so fast for a 2hrs movie😭 thats what i want when i go to the movies not to care ab the time -even though the seat wasnt that good but i payed $8

also margot is a diva. ryan is so hot lol

I walked outta that cinema after barbie and something inside my brain had shifted forever

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

watched this film as well as oppenheimer twice in theaters and I loved both of them. christopher nolan's done it again, and at times, the film reminded me of a Lana song w how it moved, and it's soundtrack but. 

for me this film, I think resonates w me a lot more, and being a guy, I know it's not the same,  but bc ofc intersectionality, but I really liked the message, the execution, and how immersive and layered the film is and how it meshes so well w our society. being like any other person, and honestly feeling stereotypical, I found myself finding comfort and belonging in this film. 

I was a bit nervous going into the theater a second time bc I didn't wanna potentially ruin my first time watching it the first time, thinking maybe the magic might be lost on me, but watching it the second time made the film so much more, as if the magic simmered from waiting for the second time. I love this movie so much. 

UV/Honeymoon

idk if it’s just me but i’ve found a lot of similarities in barbie and A&W as well as a lot of lana’s music.

“i haven’t done a cartwheel since i was 9”

and a lot of her other lyrics reminiscing her innocence and youth. the pain that comes from the experience of being a woman and growing up to realize the world that you once viewed through rose colored glasses isn’t what it’s really like such as in barbie world. as you get older you start getting blamed for your existence such as how you dress and act making you miss the days when that didn’t matter. just like when barbie goes to the real world and has an existential crisis. 

at the end of A&W, my interpretation was that she just wants to have fun and say FU to call out everyone that’s blamed and hurt her. it’s as if she’s saying if you’re going to talk shit about me i’m just gonna do me and have fun. she’s also kinda calling out how men use women and their wrong doings don’t get called out in the same way when she says “you’re mom called i told her you’re fucking up big time”

imo barbie missed their opportunity to have a lana song. loved billies song at the end but i feel like lana would’ve been better for a song like that. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄