Wryta Thinkpiece

The Last Dinner Party

It's been a long time since I shared some music here.

I just discovered this gem of a band, and this is their debut single.

Keep watch, I got great feelings about where this group's gonna go. Fucking gorgeous, fun track.

this is giving 80s ultraviolence with lorde's eyebrows :hype: i kinda stan tbh :et:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Saw them last night as opener for Hozier, I was impressed! I only knew of nothing matters because I’ve heard it on radio, but I think I’ll check out their other songs too! The lead singer (I think her name is Abigail?) was super charismatic on stage and had a beautiful, impressive voice, and I love that other band members can sing as the lead for certain songs too.

IMG-8638.jpg

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Ok, I've listened properly to their (few!) singles now - I'm a fan! I'm looking forward to their debut album in February, and I really hope to see them live again someday, they were phenomenal! :flutter:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I'm surprised there's so few comments about how amazing they are :oopna2: 

I've been watching their performances for a while now and they're really consistent with the quality of their shows. They're constantly giving vocals, charisma and aesthetic (most of their stage outfits are to die for, I freaking love the baroque ones). Abigail is such an awesome frontwoman but all the girls really shine in their own way. I love when she dances near them to highlight their performance. :wubna:

I seriously cannot wait for Prelude To Ecstasy. I've been dying to get the studio versions of Caesar on a TV, Burn Alive and Mirror ever since I heard them and I'm soooo happy they made it on the tracklist :trisha:

14 minutes ago, reflecting said:

i‘ve also heard they‘re really good live! i listened like once but im probably gonna see them at primavera next year so let me do a deep dive…

You’re gonna love them live on stage!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Does anyone find it a bit odd how they’re being pushed so hard in the UK yet no one knows them- no hate because I’m sure they’re using what’s available to them but I wonder who’s pushing them considering they’re supposedly indie 

I'm not in the UK so I can't tell, but Abigail's stage presence is really fun to watch, she's very charismatic, and their songs are catchy and bold at times. Their renaissance-esque looks are also somewhat unique, especially for a rock band, I think. I think their debut single came out like... almost a year ago? I think I remember Nothing Matters being played on radio around April last year, so I'm not surprised if "no one" knows them yet. I don't know, I genuinely think they rock and are really cool, and I suppose radio is picking up on that. I'm sure their record label (Island Records) are making sure they're getting buzz too, and touring with Hozier and The Rolling Stones helps too. And in the NME article I shared above, it says:

Before releasing ‘Nothing Matters’, the band gigged across the UK for more than a year, building their notoriety through word-of-mouth buzz and fanmade videos that spread across social media.

[...]

Long before these gigs caught the attention of major labels and netted the band a deal with Island Records, the group knew they were onto something special. “Even with small audiences at the beginning, we were playing with an ambition and a growing confidence that we knew what we wanted to do and were taking it really seriously,” Morris recalls. “It gave us the balls to play everywhere and for whomever, knowing that we were building up to something.”

[...]

Gigging is the only way The Last Dinner Party could have come up, an ode to the London live music scene that brought them together in the first place. Meeting as freshers at King’s College London, Mayland, Morris and Davies bonded as they frequented punter venues together, including The Windmill in Brixton. As Morris explains: “We’d be in the smoking area, pissed, talking about how we should start our own band.” Soon enough, they decided to do it for real.

^ And that last paragraph sounds like an indie band to me, so I guess they're growing into something bigger now with a big record label to help with marketing and all that! :) Also:

The band’s rapid, explosive success has led to them being the subject of continued online discourse, largely based around false presumptions that they are “industry plants”. They are frustrated by these comments, which seem a cruel and ironic punishment for being so polished and deliberate with everything they’ve done so far. “Do we have to address that?”, Morris asks candidly. She shares with NME that they’re trying to phase out this particular discussion point. Still, they ponder how they want to respond anyway. “We take it as a compliment”, Davies says, wryly, after some thought. “If people think it’s too good to be true, then all we can say is thank you.”

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Considering they sound amazing already, I'm so excited to find out how they will evolve in the next 5 years or so. Abigail really has an amazing dramatic voice and charismatic persona. I love the genre influences in their music; glam-rock, classical, art rock ... it's very Kate Bush, Bowie, Queen, without sounding "tired" and "overdone" like many indie rock bands do 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

3 hours ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I'm not in the UK so I can't tell, but Abigail's stage presence is really fun to watch, she's very charismatic, and their songs are catchy and bold at times. Their renaissance-esque looks are also somewhat unique, especially for a rock band, I think. I think their debut single came out like... almost a year ago? I think I remember Nothing Matters being played on radio around April last year, so I'm not surprised if "no one" knows them yet. I don't know, I genuinely think they rock and are really cool, and I suppose radio is picking up on that. I'm sure their record label (Island Records) are making sure they're getting buzz too, and touring with Hozier and The Rolling Stones helps too. And in the NME article I shared above, it says:

^ And that last paragraph sounds like an indie band to me, so I guess they're growing into something bigger now with a big record label to help with marketing and all that! :) Also:

Yeah I can respect their take and they obviously feel they’ve earned their success which is fair I think- but the BBC are really pushing them over here with no real success even on BBC news :toofloppy: which does make their comments about “ we shouldn’t have to answer them” a bit shady. I’m assuming it’s because they’re not actually indie and are signed to a label as you stated- the BBC news called them an independent band although maybe they were just talking about sound.

They should just be straight up and say the label has to promote them- I think people would respect them more.

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Yeah I can respect their take and they obviously feel they’ve earned their success which is fair I think- but the BBC are really pushing them over here with no real success even on BBC news :toofloppy: which does make their comments about “ we shouldn’t have to answer them” a bit shady. I’m assuming it’s because they’re not actually indie and are signed to a label as you stated- the BBC news called them an independent band although maybe they were just talking about sound.

They should just be straight up and say the label has to promote them- I think people would respect them more.

Mm, you have a point, I feel like “indie” has become a word to describe the sound of a band or artist more than what the word really means these days.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

5/5 review by Rolling Stone UK! :party:

https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/music/album-reviews/the-last-dinner-party-prelude-to-ecstasy-review-36283/

[…] Believe the hype, because Prelude to Ecstasy sees The Last Dinner Party delivering one of the greatest rock debuts in years. They may have honed their craft in intimate rooms like The Windmill in Brixton, but here’s a record that will surely catapult them into arenas and, whisper it, to the very top of festival bills in years to come.

Aided by the deft hand of Arctic Monkeys producer James Ford, it’s an album that proves exciting, unpredictable and gripping at every turn. An opening orchestral blast amps up the drama from the very start, before ‘Burn Alive’ — a frequent opener at their incredible live shows — sees the group showing they’re already experts at crafting intricate guitar anthems that grab your attention from the first note and refuse to let go.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I've really become obsessed with their music lately I'm so excited to listen to the album on Friday!

On another note I was going through the lead singer Abigail's instagram yesterday and noticed quite a few Lana lyrics / references in her captions lmao cool that she's a fan.