lanaismamom

"Lust for Life" Album Recording/Writing Timeline and Creative Process Discussion

43 minutes ago, The Siren said:

Since when was Heroin inspired by the Manson Family????

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-lana-del-rey-song-inspired-by-charles-manson/?amp

manson's in the air

writing in blood on my walls and shit

x14CtFn.gif  89cxvIN.gif  BolwSzs.gif

i  h a v e  a  d i s c o  b a l l  m i n d  . . .  l i g h t s  f l a s h i n g  a l l  o f  t h e  t i m e

5 hours ago, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

I thought VotD was self-recorded? It seems to pretty clearly be a laptop demo

yeah it seems so because of the quality but this is how the file was saved unfortunately, there was a leak back in december 2021 of an og wav file that is the same destroyed quality, maybe there is a hq version but leaker just dont have it, but I want to hope its ave Maria situation, when we were convinced it doesnt have a version with vocals

1 hour ago, Orville Peck said:

"Get Dark" was also recorded during the Lust For Life sessions?

we dont know yet:poordat:

2 hours ago, mybluenectarofthegods389 said:

Could someone link the honeymoon timeline thread? I can’t find it anymore :noparty:

i dont think we have one but I gonna send it here

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

2 hours ago, mybluenectarofthegods389 said:

Could someone link the honeymoon timeline thread? I can’t find it anymore :noparty:

Spoiler

After releasing "Ultraviolence" on June 13, 2014, Lana almost immediately began to form a vision for her next record, as she stated in an interview that she began writing songs for her fourth studio album (which would later become "Honeymoon") right after the release of "Ultraviolence." So, in late June, Lana said in an interview: "I have an idea for a record called 'Music to Watch Boys To', so, yeah, I'm just thinking about it and what it will mean" but it's unclear if she meant by "record" a whole project or a song. We don't know much about the next two months except the following interesting facts:

- Lana began writing music for the soundtrack to "Big Eyes," which included a reworked version of "I Can Fly" and a new song, "Big Eyes." Also appearing during this period are the first version of the track "Beautiful People Beautiful Problems" called "Beautiful People" and a studio cover of "The Good Life," which were also originally intended for the soundtrack.
- In an interview (May-June 2014) for Complex magazine, Lana notes: "I actually started conceptually thinking about having a supplement, an addition to this record ('Ultraviolence') that could come very easily. That hasn't happened in a very long time. Not since I wrote the "Paradise" to "Born to Die" that I really liked". Thus, it is likely that Lana's fourth project originally started as a mini-album to "Ultraviolence", which probably would have consisted of "Ultraviolence" outtakes and some new songs that were recorded in June-July 2014 ("Dark City" due to its similarity to "Ultraviolence" is supposed to be one such track), but most likely this "addition" was just an initial concept idea for the development of the next project, which did not have a firm tracklist. But by October 2014, it was clear that the project would develop more, when the first sessions for "Honeymoon" started, which included the following tracks, were added to the existing ideas:

- "Crazy for You."
- "California";
- "Say Yes to Heaven" (a reworked version of the original 2013 track; the final version of this song for "Honeymoon" remains unleaked); 
- "Pink Flamingos" (it's unknown if the song was the earliest version to "Music to Watch Boys To" or different song);
- "The Balckest Day" (Demo); 
- "Freak" (Demo; titled "Freak Like Me Too");
 - "God Knows I Tried" (Demo; titled "God Knows");
and possibly some other early demos of tracks that were released on "Honeymoon."

Initially, "Honeymoon" developed more as a pop record, with a return to the "Born to Die" sound. This is indicated by several facts, namely the leaked demos of the tracks "The Blackest Day", "God Knows I Tried" and "Freak" (made by the same producer, STINT [Ajay Bhattacharyya]), further, in an October interview for "L'Uomo Vogue," Lana expressed her desire to work with producer Giorgio Moroder, who is considered the father of synth disco and electronic dance music, also one of the mixer/engineers said that the "Honeymoon" demos sounded like the 80s. At the same time, Lana was still searching for a sound: "I'm still looking for something different, with majestic choruses, beautiful orchestrations, '50s-inspired with a little touch of soft grunge." And at some point in the making of the album in 2014, Lana told Rick Nowels, one of the album's two producers, that she wanted to make a jazz album. That's how the tracks "Honeymoon" and "Terrence Loves You" came about, which Rick says are not pure jazz, but her "versions" of jazz tracks (the original title of "Terrence Loves You" was "Jazz and Blues "). And in late 2014, Lana recorded a cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (a Nina Simone song).

On January 6, 2015, Lana revealed the title of the record, "Honeymoon," for the first time. Throughout January and February 2015, Lana continued to make songs and finish the ones she had started, and on February 16, she told a fan that she had finished the album that day. In an interview, Lana revealed that she had written about sixteen songs for "Honeymoon," which turned out to be:

Released tracks:
- "Honeymoon"; 
- "Music to Watch Boys To"; 
- "Terrence Loves You."
- "God Knows I Tried"; 
- "High by the Beach" (Lana claims to be the last song made for the album);
- "Freak";
- "Art Deco."
- "Religion." 
- "Salvatore." 
- "The Blackes Day"; 
- "24";
- "Sawn Song." 
Unreleased tracks:
- "California" (recording date: September-October 2014; final version of song remains unleaked); 
- "Crazy for You" (recording date: September-October 2014; final version of song remains unleaked); 
- "Paradise" (recording date: January 13, 2015; snippet leaked);
- "Come with Me" (recorded 2014-2015);
- "Dead to Me" (recorded in 2014-2015; snippet leaked).

- "If I Die Young" (recorded in 2015, possible made after "Honeymoon" sessions; final version remains unleaked).
To these songs, we can add the previously made songs that were under consideration for release on "Honeymoon" - "Say Yes to Heaven" and a version of "Beautiful People Beautiful Problems" made during the "Honeymoon" sessions, that is rumored to be a "Honeymoon" outtake, tho it wasn't confirmed. 

1 minute ago, lanaismamom said:
  Hide contents

After releasing "Ultraviolence" on June 13, 2014, Lana almost immediately began to form a vision for her next record, as she stated in an interview that she began writing songs for her fourth studio album (which would later become "Honeymoon") right after the release of "Ultraviolence." So, in late June, Lana said in an interview: "I have an idea for a record called 'Music to Watch Boys To', so, yeah, I'm just thinking about it and what it will mean" but it's unclear if she meant by "record" a whole project or a song. We don't know much about the next two months except the following interesting facts:

- Lana began writing music for the soundtrack to "Big Eyes," which included a reworked version of "I Can Fly" and a new song, "Big Eyes." Also appearing during this period are the first version of the track "Beautiful People Beautiful Problems" called "Beautiful People" and a studio cover of "The Good Life," which were also originally intended for the soundtrack.
- In an interview (May-June 2014) for Complex magazine, Lana notes: "I actually started conceptually thinking about having a supplement, an addition to this record ('Ultraviolence') that could come very easily. That hasn't happened in a very long time. Not since I wrote the "Paradise" to "Born to Die" that I really liked". Thus, it is likely that Lana's fourth project originally started as a mini-album to "Ultraviolence", which probably would have consisted of "Ultraviolence" outtakes and some new songs that were recorded in June-July 2014 ("Dark City" due to its similarity to "Ultraviolence" is supposed to be one such track), but most likely this "addition" was just an initial concept idea for the development of the next project, which did not have a firm tracklist. But by October 2014, it was clear that the project would develop more, when the first sessions for "Honeymoon" started, which included the following tracks, were added to the existing ideas:

- "Crazy for You."
- "California";
- "Say Yes to Heaven" (a reworked version of the original 2013 track; the final version of this song for "Honeymoon" remains unleaked); 
- "Pink Flamingos" (it's unknown if the song was the earliest version to "Music to Watch Boys To" or different song);
and possibly some other early demos of tracks that were released on "Honeymoon."

Initially, "Honeymoon" developed more as a pop record, with a return to the "Born to Die" sound. This is indicated by several facts, namely the leaked demos of the tracks "The Blackest Day", "God Knows I Tried" and "Freak" (made by the same producer, STINT [Ajay Bhattacharyya]), further, in an October interview for "L'Uomo Vogue," Lana expressed her desire to work with producer Giorgio Moroder, who is considered the father of synth disco and electronic dance music, also one of the mixer/engineers said that the "Honeymoon" demos sounded like the 80s. At the same time, Lana was still searching for a sound: "I'm still looking for something different, with majestic choruses, beautiful orchestrations, '50s-inspired with a little touch of soft grunge." And at some point in the making of the album in 2014, Lana told Rick Nowels, one of the album's two producers, that she wanted to make a jazz album. That's how the tracks "Honeymoon" and "Terrence Loves You" came about, which Rick says are not pure jazz, but her "versions" of jazz tracks (the original title of "Terrence Loves You" was "Jazz and Blues "). And in late 2014, Lana recorded a cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (a Nina Simone song).

On January 6, 2015, Lana revealed the title of the record, "Honeymoon," for the first time. Throughout January and February 2015, Lana continued to make songs and finish the ones she had started, and on February 16, she told a fan that she had finished the album that day. In an interview, Lana revealed that she had written about sixteen songs for "Honeymoon," which turned out to be:

Released tracks:
- "Honeymoon"; 
- "Terrence Loves You."
- "God Knows I Tried"; 
- "Freak";
- "Art Deco."
- "Religion." 
- "Salvatore." 
- "The Blackes Day"; 
- "24";
- "Sawn Song." 
Unreleased tracks:
- "California" (recording date: September-October 2014; final version of song remains unleaked); 
- "Crazy for You" (recording date: September-October 2014; final version of song remains unleaked); 

- "If I Die Young" (recorded in 2015, possible after "Honeymoon" sessions; final version remains unleaked).
To these songs, we can add the previously made songs that were under consideration for release on "Honeymoon" - "Say Yes to Heaven" and a version of "Beautiful People Beautiful Problems" made during the "Honeymoon" sessions, that is rumored to be a "Honeymoon" outtake, tho it wasn't confirmed. 

:true:

𝒎𝒂𝒚𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊'𝒎 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝒊𝒔 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝒎𝒆

✧ ˖°. ⋆⭒˚。⋆. * : ✧ . : * : ☆ * ✧ ˖°. ⋆⭒˚。⋆ °.  ✧ ˖°

28 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:
  Hide contents

- "Crazy for You."
- "California";

Released tracks:
- "Honeymoon"; 
- "Terrence Loves You."
- "God Knows I Tried"; 
- "Freak";
- "Art Deco."
- "Religion." 
- "Salvatore." 
- "The Blackes Day"; 
- "24";
- "Sawn Song." 
Unreleased tracks:

- "If I Die Young" (recorded in 2015, possible made after "Honeymoon" sessions; final version remains unleaked).

Thanks! I’m currently on the early stages of making a honeymoon timeline so if you find any more info on dates of songs please let me know :party:

27 minutes ago, mybluenectarofthegods389 said:

Thanks! I’m currently on the early stages of making a honeymoon timeline so if you find any more info on dates of songs please let me know :party:

sure! 

u can subscribe on this thread where dates are in a constant updation 

2 minutes ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

Source?

there was a list of hm sessions leaked back in april but no one believed it but it was the first time actually when ttitle dead to me was revealed, and there were other songs off honeymoon that titled by its og titles, i can find that

12 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

there was a list of hm sessions leaked back in april but no one believed it but it was the first time actually when ttitle dead to me was revealed, and there were other songs off honeymoon that titled by its og titles, i can find that

I know about the others and I do believe but never heard about Terrence. Thank you and have a nice noon from where i live

this made me think of a new thought… why the change to terrence + loves you. Ave maria as well

2 hours ago, lanaismamom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

- "Crazy for You."
- "California";

Released tracks:
- "Honeymoon"; 
- "Terrence Loves You."
- "God Knows I Tried"; 
- "Freak";
- "Art Deco."
- "Religion." 
- "Salvatore." 
- "The Blackes Day"; 
- "24";
- "Sawn Song." 
Unreleased tracks:

Dang thank you for all your hard work compiling all this unreleased/timeline info! Will be so valuable to have these tidbits preserved in writing and not lost to time/buried in threads as the years go by.

I honestly feel like the amount of material/info that’s available regarding her unreleased catalog rivals or even surpasses that of some legacy artists. That’s really amazing considering the length of Lana’s career in comparison.

1 minute ago, cherryblossoms said:

Dang thank you for all your hard work compiling all this unreleased/timeline info! Will be so valuable to have these tidbits preserved in writing and not lost to time/buried in threads as the years go by.

I honestly feel like the amount of material/info that’s available regarding her unreleased catalog rivals or even surpasses that of some legacy artists. That’s really amazing considering the length of Lana’s career in comparison.

thank u:kiss2: i will for sure do blog with all timelines i wrote to each album

and yeah honestly sooooo so many information that are in out hands and i just really want to systematize it all since no one really did that very accurately regarding all eras, and im glad that its anyhow helpful!

14 hours ago, lanaismamom said:

another alleged insider said that it was going to be a single at one point was carcase, who also said about lfl deluxe but im not really believing him

Im pretty sure some other insider mentioned lfl deluxe at one point and it's cancellation after Lana met Jack, just can't remember who

archiving any ldr-related stuff I can find (like, literally)

LANA DEL REY TRACKER

last.fm

163c956c5fc19ea25e79f89d6eec3b83.gif

2 minutes ago, ImenaOphelia said:

Im pretty sure some other insider mentioned lfl deluxe at one point and it's cancellation after Lana met Jack, just can't remember who

i know that honeymouns said that everything that insider told to us (carcase) was true but im still a bit unsure

1 minute ago, ImenaOphelia said:

It was carcase, i think they said it was "bar + unknown stuff"

YCY3W7s.jpg

1 minute ago, tulsa jesus twink said:

It was carcase, i think they said it was "bar + unknown stuff"

yeh carcase said this but I can remember someone *more* reliable saying it too

archiving any ldr-related stuff I can find (like, literally)

LANA DEL REY TRACKER

last.fm

163c956c5fc19ea25e79f89d6eec3b83.gif

Is it possible that some of the LFL era outtakes were reworked in NFR era too? I remember Honeymouns said that Lana sent Jack some LFL era concept demos. 

I kinda think that Happiness Is A Butterfly demo is from LFL era. Because Rick was the co-writer of the song. It could also be from the Bartender sessions too. 

url%5D