lanaismamom

"Lust for Life" Album Recording/Writing Timeline and Creative Process Discussion

2 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

im still so interested when exactly were yosemite

Pure speculation and im just inserting my two coins but i think the same session as bar which was recorded jan-oct 2016. So around that. I commented same session is also purely speculation of Lana’s commenting about how they are sister tracks and the acoustic guitars on both compositions sound the same (to me) but take this with a grain of salt 

Just now, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

Pure speculation and im just inserting my two coins but i think the same session as bar which was recorded jan-oct 2016. So around that. I commented same session is also purely speculation of Lana’s commenting about how they are sister tracks and the acoustic guitars on both compositions sound the same (to me) but take this with a grain of salt 

it exactly sounds like something from original lust for life so its a good theory! get free from the other hand is a total mystery 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

Also, I know it's some kind of a sensitive topic she touched in Fingertips and The Grants but

Spoiler

Her uncle died on July 21th, 2016, do we think it's a coincidence that Lust For Life was released on that exact date a year later? It also got me thinking about the tracklist reveal when she wrote Lost For Life as a "typo".

url%5D

I still can’t comprehend how she could change the Lust For Life demo so much, it was so beautiful.

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

I find the timeline between HM and LFL even more interesting than the post BTD stuff (probably cause we already know almost everything about it at this point) so I'll do a little summary about what I remember and think about it. I love an essay sorry :hide:

The LFL demo (and some other songs + outtakes), the Neil photoshoot and the album trailer all pointed to a dark and witchy aesthetic and sound. But then the Rich MVs and some details of the songs (like 13 Beaches) had those futuristic and space-y/glitchy tones too, which in my opinion could happily coexist and match (the moon being like the nexus for example)

What I also find weird is that she teased the album collabs on the trailer so that aspect of the record was integrated into the original aesthetic, even though the collabs are the songs that are further from the original dark tone :um2:

Then there's the political outtakes and the girl group tracks which weren't scrapped entirely since there's some elements of that on the final album.

What's clear is that she had a pretty sudden artistic switch towards the end of the album process cause Coachella and specially Change were in my opinion the songs that marked the transition between pre and post NFR Lana in terms of writing... at that point she didn't have any track as straightforward and with that lyrical style.

LFL is truly THE transition album, not only in terms of sound/lyrics but also for her creative process. She had a lot of style and concept switches at the time but instead of scrapping the whole thing (like she did with the post BTD/Tropico/early UV tracks) she kept adding and doing little changes and I feel that's how she works now.

Instead of having a clear concept as a whole she just writes and then tries to put together an album that makes sense in a way with what she has.

Chemtrails was a bit of an exception cause it's really cohesive but it started as a collection of simpler songs she knew she wanted to use in the future but didn't match at all the Norman sound so yeah she still has a somewhat clear direction in that aspect but it's not as conceptualized as it used to be (which is not a bad thing tho, all the past 3/4 albums are still great and contain some of her absolute best tracks).

giphy.gif

Also, people tend to forget that the version of TNBAR that was in NFR was already intended to be on the final version of LFL because in an interview in 2017, Lana said that TNBAR is about Topanga and such.

url%5D

8 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

What's clear is that she had a pretty sudden artistic switch towards the end of the album process cause Coachella and specially Change were in my opinion the songs that marked the transition between pre and post NFR Lana in terms of writing... at that point she didn't have any track as straightforward and with that lyrical style.

Lanz said on bbc radio 1 july 12 2017- her tracklisting changed so much around april

5 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

I find the timeline between HM and LFL even more interesting than the post BTD stuff (probably cause we already know almost everything about it at this point) so I'll do a little summary about what I remember and think about it. I love an essay sorry :hide:

The LFL demo (and some other songs + outtakes), the Neil photoshoot and the album trailer all pointed to a dark and witchy aesthetic and sound. But then the Rich MVs and some details of the songs (like 13 Beaches) had those futuristic and space-y/glitchy tones too, which in my opinion could happily coexist and match (the moon being like the nexus for example)

What I also find weird is that she teased the album collabs on the trailer so that aspect of the record was integrated into the original aesthetic, even though the collabs are the songs that are further from the original dark tone :um2:

Then there's the political outtakes and the girl group tracks which weren't scrapped entirely since there's some elements of that on the final album.

LFL is truly THE transition album, not only in terms of sound/lyrics but also for her creative process. She had a lot of style and concept switches at the time but instead of scrapping the whole thing (like she did with the post BTD/Tropico/early UV tracks) she kept adding and doing little changes and I feel that's how she works now.

Instead of having a clear concept as a whole she just writes and then tries to put together an album that makes sense in a way with what she has.

Chemtrails was a bit of an exception cause it's really cohesive but it started as a collection of simpler songs she knew she wanted to use in the future but didn't match at all the Norman sound so yeah she still has a somewhat clear direction in that aspect but it's not as conceptualized as it used to be (which is not a bad thing tho, all the past 3/4 albums are still great and contain some of her absolute best tracks).

absolutely, the shift after november 2016 was so obvious and tracks made in 2017 are very different for lust for life as much as for her style overall, i was thinking that there was no OG album and that her creative process just kept updating, but the change in sound is too obvious and her 2017 songs are almost from the same aesthetics and couldve been easily existed as a part of another separate project, its very interesting lana didnt divide and mixed original songs with 2017 songs, and i agree the latest made songs are a step towards something something new!

also what are these girl group tracks? did u mean The Shangri-Las?

1 minute ago, lanaismamom said:

Didn't Jack Antonoff also mention that those bombastic NFR outtakes are girl-group tracks like The Shangri-Las?

url%5D

8 minutes ago, Embach said:

Also, people tend to forget that the version of TNBAR that was in NFR was already intended to be on the final version of LFL because in an interview in 2017, Lana said that TNBAR is about Topanga and such.

yeah i was thinking about this too but i genuinely dont have an idea when could she change the lyrics, i wonder if that happened in march-april times, but then the track was registered as best american record if im not mistaken so its really debatable and another mystery thing

Just now, Embach said:

Didn't Jack Antonoff also mention that those bombastic NFR outtakes are girl-group tracks like The Shangri-Las?

i dont remember and i would be very grateful if someone would tell me what interviews exactly lana told us about 4 political outtakes and jack antonoff about bombastic outtakes @blackenedrussianpoetrywould u know?

2 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

Yeah that one! I couldn't remember the name 

I wonder how many tracks she had with that sound/concept cause in the final album all I can hear similar to it are the adlibs from LFL and Get Free

giphy.gif

Just now, lanaismamom said:

yeah i was thinking about this too but i genuinely dont have an idea when could she change the lyrics, i wonder if that happened in march-april times, but then the track was registered as best american record if im not mistaken so its really debatable and another mystery thing

I believe she wrote and recorded Yosemite in January/February 2017 and I think that the happy-healthy relationship themes on that song made her rewrote the lyrics in TNBAR on more positive note. I think she finally scrapped those two songs after she broke up with G-Eazy. Because these songs were too happy for her then mindset and wrote songs with angrier moodset instead like White Mustang and In My Feelings.

3 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

i dont remember and i would be very grateful if someone would tell me what interviews exactly lana told us about 4 political outtakes and jack antonoff about bombastic outtakes @blackenedrussianpoetrywould u know?

Lana mentioned those 4 political outtakes in Billboard 2017 interview!

url%5D

3 minutes ago, Embach said:

Wait... you're right. She either talked about it for LFL too or I'm just misremembering the whole girl group thing :um2:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

Wait... you're right. She either talked about it for LFL too or I'm just misremembering the whole girl group thing :um2:

yeah she also mentioned it during her interview on february 24 2017 after love was released: "I've been writing for the last fifteen months, and I guess at first I thought the whole record would be in the spirit of the '50s/60s, with influences from The Shangri-Las and early Joan Baez, but I don't know, as the political climate got more and more tense, I found that lyrically everything was geared towards that (political changes). Because of that, the sound was just very updated, and I felt it was more about wanting to talk to the younger part of the audience that I have. I think it's a bit more of a socially aware song ("Love").

I believe nfr tnbar was recorded on January of 2019 which this theory is lied on speculations. On that month- lana rerecorded/rewrote older songs such as nfr’s california + final how to disappear so i might as well think that that when she revisited and revamped tnbar

3 minutes ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

I believe nfr tnbar was recorded on January of 2019 which this theory is lied on speculations. On that month- lana rerecorded/rewrote older songs such as nfr’s california + final how to disappear so i might as well think that that when she revisited and revamped tnbar

I don't think so because I believe she stopped working with Rick in December 2017/January 2018 because right after she started working non-stop with Jack.

url%5D

These are from March 19th, 2016. I believe she was recording Malibu/Get Free there because then a week ago, she was in Malibu. Although maybe she was recording Love because she met Emile Haynie few days before that.

Spoiler

Studio-Selfie.jpg

In-The-Studio2016.jpg

Also Ben & Ed were in the studio with her.

Ben-Ed.jpg

url%5D

32 minutes ago, Embach said:

The "bombastic" outtakes he's referring to are not the Shangri-Las style outtakes (those are for LFL, Lana was originally super inspired by the Shangri-Las and their harmonies and wanted the album to have sort of a retro girl group sound - with the political climate shift she felt she had to change a lot of the songs up but that was a big part of her original intention for the record)