lanaismamom

"Lust for Life" Album Recording/Writing Timeline and Creative Process Discussion

From BOZ website about Say Yes To Heaven:

"That was until 2016 sessions for Lust For Life welcomed a bunch of producers invited to help Lana curate her new vision of more modern soundscape for the record. One of them, Fred Gibson (better known as Fred again...) joined the already long list of people taking their shot at perfecting Say Yes To Heaven. Although his contribution to Lust For Life era ended up being scrapped altogether, the song got richer in brand new version, this time more electronic and upbeat."

Does this mean that other songs (besides SYTH), Fred Gibson and Lana made together in the LFL sessions got scrapped too? Or did he only do SYTH? 

Also, I'm confused about that: "her new vision of more modern soundscape for the record" - does the record mean as song like Say Yes To Heaven or as album like Lust For Life?

url%5D

LFL is one interesting era indeed.
I wouldn’t change the album at all, as « imperfect » as it is (I don’t mind the different genres of it, but some songs could have benefited a bit more polishing with the trap beats, like Coachella and In My Feelings; they kinda clash with the tracks that have very pristine production), it reflected the state of the US in 2017 and my personal state of mind. 

I love how the outtakes bring us closer to the witchy, folky, spacey Lana that I love so much. And as much as I love that initial concept, I’m not so sure we would have loved LFL as much as we say we would; I think a lot of people would have called it « Honeymoon snore fest 2.0 » (yes, this is how HM was perceived back then). 

anyways, I want Cry Kill Die!

9 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

LFL is one interesting era indeed.
I wouldn’t change the album at all, as « imperfect » as it is (I don’t mind the different genres of it, but some songs could have benefited a bit more polishing with the trap beats, like Coachella and In My Feelings; they kinda clash with the tracks that have very pristine production), it reflected the state of the US in 2017 and my personal state of mind. 

I love how the outtakes bring us closer to the witchy, folky, spacey Lana that I love so much. And as much as I love that initial concept, I’m not so sure we would have loved LFL as much as we say we would; I think a lot of people would have called it « Honeymoon snore fest 2.0 » (yes, this is how HM was perceived back then). 

anyways, I want Cry Kill Die!

Yeah I agree, I think if it had the "alleged" slow sound like the LFL demo and such, it would've had lukewarm reception like COTCC had (although I adore COTCC and it didn't deserve the hate) from the fans and GP. (Although when LFL album was released its reception was great from fans and GP until it started receiving hate from fans in 2018?)

My unpopular opinion is that the Lust For Life album we have, is flawless and perfect but that's of course matter of taste and choices. :shh2:

Without the so-called changes and the final product of the current Lust For Life, we definitely wouldn't have NFR and all the albums what followed it.

url%5D

36 minutes ago, Embach said:

Yeah I agree, I think if it had the "alleged" slow sound like the LFL demo and such, it would've had lukewarm reception like COTCC had (although I adore COTCC and it didn't deserve the hate) from the fans and GP. (Although when LFL album was released its reception was great from fans and GP until it started receiving hate from fans in 2018?)

My unpopular opinion is that the Lust For Life album we have, is flawless and perfect but that's of course matter of taste and choices. :shh2:

Without the so-called changes and the final product of the current Lust For Life, we definitely wouldn't have NFR and all the albums what followed it.

I remember reading some meh 🫤 reviews here for the album even though I wasn’t a LB member back then (I was pretty much lurking here daily :omfg2:). Coachella was the « turning point » /no return point for the LFL hate from LB back then (although the title track got some negative reviews here also). Thank God for new members that brought some love for LFL since then. 

agree with you that NFR wouldn’t even exist without LFL (in a way, NFR is a more « polished » LFL).

one of my fondest memories as a Lana Stan will always be the July 12 debacle undfolding here, when the track list was posted with the preorder and the interview with Zane Lowe… No RBFY!!! (Although we knew right from the starts she’d scrap it) No Yosemite! No BAR! A different Summer Bummer version from the album is on her YouTube channel! That version has been taken down! Coachella is on the track list, she should have scrapped it!! Oh the meltdowns :oopna2: Good times.

1 hour ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Not that I have any proof or that she ever confirmed it, but I’ve always thought that Looking for America could have been a reworked « political outtake » from LFL… :um2:

She said she wrote it after two mass shootings and recorded on August 5 2019

"Hi folks came back early from Montecito with my brother this morning and asked Jack Antonoff to come into town because I had a song on my mind that I wanted to write. Now I know I’m not a politician and I’m not trying to be so excuse me for having an opinion- but in light of all of the mass shootings and the back to back shootings in the last couple of days which really affected me on a cellular level I just wanted to post this video that our engineer Laura took 20 minutes ago. I hope you like it. I’m singing love to the choruses I recorded this morning. I’m going to call it ‘Looking for America’"

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

3 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I remember reading some meh 🫤 reviews here for the album even though I wasn’t a LB member back then (I was pretty much lurking here daily :omfg2:). Coachella was the « turning point » /no return point for the LFL hate from LB back then (although the title track got some negative reviews here also). Thank God for new members that brought some love for LFL since then. 

agree with you that NFR wouldn’t even exist without LFL (in a way, NFR is a more « polished » LFL).

one of my fondest memories as a Lana Stan will always be the July 12 debacle undfolding here, when the track list was posted with the preorder and the interview with Zane Lowe… No RBFY!!! (Although we knew right from the starts she’d scrap it) No Yosemite! No BAR! A different Summer Bummer version from the album is on her YouTube channel! That version has been taken down! Coachella is on the track list, she should have scrapped it!! Oh the meltdowns :oopna2: Good times.

When Coachella was released, I loved it so much (I still love it, one of my favorites, I'm probably the only fan of the song) and the whole time I listened to the song, there were like hate comments everywhere.

I do find the song kind of "unusual" but it doesn't mean it's bad. I'd like to add some strings to the song though :isee:

url%5D

I just can't picture Fine China on LFL. Like, even in the witchy version, I have no idea on how that could be. It's an absolutely different vibe. Anyway, prove me wrong and leak it :oic:

5 hours ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Not that I have any proof or that she ever confirmed it, but I’ve always thought that Looking for America could have been a reworked « political outtake » from LFL… :um2:

idk i though she wrote and recorded it within a few days before releasing it

4 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

“groupie love was actually going to be released with its 279th mix!”

i feel like these mix numbers were pulled out of his ass tbh lmfao

but i can be proven wrong with a leak (or at least a few snippets) :oop2:

This album is so interesting because it was really the first time she strayed away from her normal album formula (14-15 tracks all within a similar style with no features and usually including a cover). She tried so many different styles and added features, so I would love to know what this albums tracklist looked like during early sessions 

10 hours ago, lanaismamom said:

(A "Honeymoon" outtake, insider reported that Lana loved the song and tried to release it on further albums, tried to even make it a single, but we don't know what these albums were

i don’t think boz ever said this… just that whoever leaked it messed up because it’s one of her fav songs

35 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

i don’t think boz ever said this… just that whoever leaked it messed up because it’s one of her fav songs

welll im not sure what question he answered on and probably he meant that she just loves the song and didnt try to put on further albums but when writing i referred to it

i may take that california point down

another alleged insider said that it was going to be a single at one point was carcase, who also said about lfl deluxe but im not really believing him

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

10 hours ago, The Siren said:

If RBFY would have been the intro track what would have been track 2? Can't imagine Love transitioning out of RBFY well. 

she just said the song served as an intro to SOMETHING. Honestly with the double sided record she originally had in mind, I can see RBFY being an opener for the brighter more poppy side she originally talked about.

2 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

she just said the song served as an intro to SOMETHING. Honestly with the double sided record she originally had in mind, I can see RBFY being an opener for the brighter more poppy side she originally talked about.

when was this concept discussed???? :shock:

I honestly think that we already have the full RBFY (the one minute version she shared on Instagram). It was meant to be just an intro, I can't really imagine it being longer.

url%5D

27 minutes ago, The Siren said:

when was this concept discussed???? :shock:

i cant remember quite exactly honestly :bebe: i think it was either from a magazine quote or the interview she did for LFL premiere on BBC 

she said originally it was 18 tracks, one side with songs like more acoustic and folky, and then a second side more poppy and bright or something like that

someone please tell me im not crazy!