Sign in to follow this  
MakingOut

“Lana Del Rey” Name Progression Discussion

idk if this is alr a thread or normal info but i wanted to know more about how she came up with this name. how does she go from Elizabeth Grant to Lana Del Rey? and what are the other name likes lizzy grant, lizzy grant, sparkle jump rope queen, Lana Del Ray thought process behind it.

Actually I am curious about this topic as well. More importantly the exact date we went from Elizabeth (Lizzy, Lizzi) to Lana. Also what date we got Ray changed to Rey. I'm curious whether Lana actually never caught on because a lot of people who knew her pre-fame call her by Lizzy and not Lana Del Ray. Where's that "My name is LDR and I'm a singer" clip? I think that's like 2009 which is crazy to me. Like why do we call it Lizzy Grant era if she went by LDR. 

Also side note Lana Del Ray looks way better for a number of reasons. There's the  A-E-A scheme. Did she change it just for the rebranding image? I think @Trash Magic said she had her lips done Summer 2009 so I'm curious if the name changes line up with his pinned date. Also sorry I cannot find the post maybe he can help me thank you. Maybe surgery = change from LG to LDR or Ray to Rey. 

The name Lana Del Rey came about during a trip to Miami with her sister. She wanted a name that sounded exotic and reminded her of the Florida coast. In an interview with British Vogue in 2011, she explained that Lana Del Rey "sounds beautiful when it comes from the tip of the tongue." The name is a combination of actress Lana Turner and the rather obscure car model Ford Del Rey from the 80s.

Lana changed her name to create coherence in her work. She wanted her name to reflect the music she wanted to create, and Lana Del Rey certainly does. Her music speaks of vintage glamour, California as a state and culture, the beach and much more.

She kinda always went by Lizzy Grant even when she had the May Jailer bits. 

I think she only used Sparkle Jump Rope Queen, etc one or twice?

24 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

The name Lana Del Rey came about during a trip to Miami with her sister. She wanted a name that sounded exotic and reminded her of the Florida coast. In an interview with British Vogue in 2011, she explained that Lana Del Rey "sounds beautiful when it comes from the tip of the tongue." The name is a combination of actress Lana Turner and the rather obscure car model Ford Del Rey from the 80s.

Lana changed her name to create coherence in her work. She wanted her name to reflect the music she wanted to create, and Lana Del Rey certainly does. Her music speaks of vintage glamour, California as a state and culture, the beach and much more.

Isn't it also partly inspired by an elder relative?

Also the song 'Wayamaya', which most people date from 2007 or 2008, has the line 'we changed our names to Lana and Ray'. Because of that, and some other stuff, I'm pretty sure it came first of all from personal rather than professional impulses.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

"By the time Lizzy became Lana for good, 5 Points had already released an EP from the Kahne sessions under the name Lizz Grant – and iTunes had selected Lizzy as one of the best new artists of 2008. “As we’re putting the album together, she says something like, ‘I really want to change my name,’ ” recalls Nichtern, who had been taking Lizzy and her album around the industry. “If we’re making the movie, you’d see a spit take. We’d just gotten that far with Lizzy Grant.” - David Nichtern

"I wanted a name I could shape the music towards. I was going to Miami quite a lot at the time, speaking a lot of Spanish with my friends from Cuba - Lana Del Rey reminded us of the glamour of the seaside. It sounded gorgeous coming off the tip of the tongue."

“I knew that I wanted a name that sounded sort of exotic and reminded me of the seaside on the Floridian coast,” she [LDR] described. “Lana Del Rey sounded beautiful to me and I wanted a name for the music that I could start shaping the music towards, just something beautiful.”

"Lana Del Rey is, she says, the same person – the same artist, even – as Lizzy Grant. “There’s not, like, a schism between people,” she says. “It’s actually just a different name, and that’s sort of where it begins and ends. I just thought it was strange, being born into this geographic lock-down location, and a name that you didn’t choose, and going to school for fucking 23 years. It was just unfathomable to me." ...(cont below)

"So I think in choosing that name, it was just more becoming who I was, you know? It wasn’t music-related. It was just part of my life.” The other possible name was Cherry Galore, she says, probably joking: “You’d be sitting here calling me ‘Cherry.’"

tl;dr - trips to Miami with Chuck and her friends at the time - it had become Lana Del Ray by the time she released AKA and then Rey by the time Ben and Ed helped her buy back the rights to it

bonus: "She says ... that while all of her friends now call her Lana—not Elizabeth Grant, her birth name—her parents are the two people who do not."

18 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

Also the song 'Wayamaya', which most people date from 2007 or 2008, has the line 'we changed our names to Lana and Ray'. Because of that, and some other stuff, I'm pretty sure it came first of all from personal rather than professional impulses.

very interesting, Genius also says for this line:

A direct reference to Lana’s current stage name, as well as a tribute to Ray – her previous love interest mentioned in multiple songs, such as “Raise Me Up” and “Kill Kill”. “Ray” is likely a nickname of her former bandmate, Arthur Lynn; A reference to the famous rockstar, Arthur “Ray” Gillen, who was also mentioned in her other song, “Greenwich”.

6 hours ago, LBcita said:

"So I think in choosing that name, it was just more becoming who I was, you know? It wasn’t music-related. It was just part of my life.” The other possible name was Cherry Galore, she says, probably joking: “You’d be sitting here calling me ‘Cherry.’"

was she being serious about cherry ...

Elizabeth Grant claims she was given the nomenclature "Lana del Rey", at the age of 19, by her then dance teacher Martha Graham. According to Lizzy, Graham said "I'm going to give you a new name: Lana del Rey. Every day, you come to school and I don't recognize you. Every day, you change your identity. You're a mystery to me.

spinn.gifspinn.gifspinn.gif

31 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

Elizabeth Grant claims she was given the nomenclature "Lana del Rey", at the age of 19, by her then dance teacher Martha Graham. According to Lizzy, Graham said "I'm going to give you a new name: Lana del Rey. Every day, you come to school and I don't recognize you. Every day, you change your identity. You're a mystery to me.

source?

34 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

Idk about the whole progression but Lana Del Rey is literally the best name ever. It is so glamorous and pretty to say. And spelling it with an E was also genius because it just makes the name x10 more gorgeous.

I agree the E spelling is so perfect - maybe it's just cause I associate RAY w AKA but for some reason it looks so polished, also it makes me think of Marina Del Rey and she's a little Venice bitch so it works

We usually call the era right before Video Games as Lizzy Grant because it was the pre-fame era. Video Games marked the beginning of the proper Lana Del Rey. 

And I agree Lana Del Rey is like the best name ever lol

7 hours ago, LBcita said:

source?

"Lana del Rey is a secret agent. Traveling around the world.

Changing identities. Fighting for freedom. Bringing light to dark places.

She is a dancer. A professor. A head of state. A housekeeper. An equestrian. A prisoner.

A student. A mother. A child. A teacher. A nun. A singer. A saint. A whore. A spy in the house of love.

I am Lana del Rey."

images.png

spinn.gifspinn.gifspinn.gif