Sign in to follow this  
♥Love♥Lana♥Like♥Life

HYPOTHETICAL: MTV Unplugged with LANA

Naw, i bet PrettyBaby sat in front of the tube as a kid swooning over Axl Rose and other hair boys.

:crying:

AxlRose_zps15619739.png

RayGillen_zps27392f72.jpg

DonDokken_zpsfc380e36.jpg

Actually, Lana can have Axl, but Don Dokken is MINE MINE MINE!!!

...freaks and geeks...

:crying:

I'm going to write the next great TV dramedy... someday. :shh:

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I would love!!! with orchesta, background singers, violins, strings and piano included. The whole songs of BTD, except Off The Races and Lolita (There so long and don't like it lol) and some demos (Damn You, I Don't Wanna Go and more)

umm, no, i belong to that bygone era as well! i was practically raised on MTV, i never went through the "kids music" phase ("sesame street" or whatever)...i had MTV on all day with a videocassette on cue, ready to record the videos i liked! what joy, after all the expectation, when your favorite vids came on! :oprah: (i can imagine how inconceivable this is to those who only know the experience of seeing videos on youtube). and you could still discover good bands! who would've thought it would one day come to this, a fucking low-brow reality TV channel with crap videos played only as filler between shows?????

Ha, i was going to mention you too but i couldn't think of a funny MTV scenario involving you as a little kid. I still have some of my VHS tapes of stuff i recorded from MTV. Headbangers Ball, 120 Minutes, MTV News, etc. Interspersed throughout these tapes are music performances on the ARSENIO HALL Show. Oh man, remember Adam Curry? Of course you do.

oh my, never thought i'd see good old daniel j. on lanaboards! i was just playing "true love will find you in the end" on my guitar ♥

I wanna hear that!

I am Rayanne Graff, perpetually.

I can totally see this.

I'm going to write the next great TV dramedy... someday. :shh:

I would so watch that. And i'd expect you to infuse the show with a heavy dose of feminism.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

@Monicker, Edna, PrettyBaby, & Evil - The latest (or one of the latest) episodes of Portlandia is dedicated to the concept of adults "retaking" MTV, and it was really funny. Not because I endorse the programming currently filling the station, but just because of how they executed the episode. :teehee:

As part of the 'new' generation (though it makes me shudder to even think of myself as a "tween"), I cannot help but wonder at what that channel once was.

Ha, i was going to mention you too but i couldn't think of a funny MTV scenario involving you as a little kid. I still have some of my VHS tapes of stuff i recorded from MTV. Headbangers Ball, 120 Minutes, MTV News, etc. Interspersed throughout these tapes are music performances on the ARSENIO HALL Show. Oh man, remember Adam Curry? Of course you do.

monicker, sadly i know adam curry but i don't remember him so well, because, since my family moved back to argentina in the early 90's, my memories are mostly of the latin MTV VJs :ermm: (internet has made relocating so much less traumatic!)...let me add two more shows to those golden MTV oldies: "nación alternativa" and "lado B" (were their equivalents in the US "alternative nation" and "B side"?)

regarding your wanting to hear that, i have to reinstall garageband on my ipad, because i still haven't learned how to properly record with my boyfriend's ableton live* and reason programs :pft: - and THEN i'd have to feel particularly courageous to share it with you guys - especially you, M - i am very basic and nowhere near your high standards :P

*i do however recieve jason timothy's newsletters and they're pretty cool - this one particularly hit home: http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/blog/2013/01/03/your-2013-might-suck-unless/ - anyway, WAY off topic!

@Monicker, Edna, PrettyBaby, & Evil - The latest (or one of the latest) episodes of Portlandia is dedicated to the concept of adults "retaking" MTV, and it was really funny. Not because I endorse the programming currently filling the station, but just because of how they executed the episode. :teehee:

As part of the 'new' generation (though it makes me shudder to even think of myself as a "tween"), I cannot help but wonder at what that channel once was.

madrigal, i love "portlandia" and i've already d/l'd friday's episodes - hopefully tonight i'll get to watch 'em. i'll be waiting for that MTV part ;)

it's hard to imagine MTV as a sort of cultural paradigm, isn't it? but it was. now - for better or worse - everything is more an individual search, because you know that hardly anything good and truly worthwhile can be found in the mainstream. lana is a wonderful example of someone who got in through the cracks in the system ♥

back to the utopic topic of a lana MTV unplugged, i visualize it in a setting like alice in chains' (more than her beloved nirvana's) unplugged show. here's a song i think she could even cover:

http://youtu.be/wNVQJfR8o90

she could certainly make those lyrics hers: "as of now i bet you got me wrong / so unsure you run from something strong."

or maybe fiona's:

http://youtu.be/7iSaj7OZbs8

lana would really justify the resurrection of MTV unplugged - it would be beautiful and i'm sure it would convert quite a few people, as much as it'd delight those who already love her! it would demonstrate she is more than a "controversial" personality and showcase her voice. i imagine she would sing "yayo" (finallly performing it live as lana del rey) and stun the world :)

Interspersed throughout these tapes are music performances on the ARSENIO HALL Show.

OMG, I used to love the Arsenio Hall show. Remember TLC performing on the show wearing condoms? Or Bill Clinton covering "Heartbreak Hotel" on his sax? Or Dave Koz?

Over the holidays I saw a promo on TV for a revival of the show coming this fall. :ohmy:

:woot:

I'll let you in on a little secret, Maddy. For the most part, I can only wonder too. I have never lived in a household that had cable, so like Lana, my memories of watching MTV were at other people's houses. ~Yes, I am nostalgic of an era I never knew.~ :teehee:

back to the utopic topic of a lana MTV unplugged, i visualize it in a setting like alice in chains' (more than her beloved nirvana's) unplugged show. here's a song i think she could even cover:

http://youtu.be/wNVQJfR8o90

she could certainly make those lyrics hers: "as of now i bet you got me wrong / so unsure you run from something strong."

Yes! I said on my Reydio covers show that she should cover AIC.

i imagine she would sing "yayo" (finallly performing it live as lana del rey) and stun the world :)

Probably the biggest upside to her rerecording "Yayo" for PE is that it increases the likelihood of getting to see her perform my favorite song live.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Lana joining the leagues of Erykah Badu, Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Lauryn Hill would be interesting, all wonderful Unplugged episodes.

I could definitely seeing her doing a VH1 Unplugged online performance, which if I'm not mistaken is sporadically played amongst their video block and also streamed online. I think they've revived MTV Unplugged in the las few years with some hipster bands, so you never know.

However, half of her setlist would be songs we've heard in acoustic a thousand times over.

Hey, I could still catch videos on MTV when I was, like 15...At 3 AM. But I'd always stay up that late and talk to my friend on the phone and we'd sit in anticipation of "She Wolf" by Shakira and "Heads Will Roll" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs...:teehee: I AM ALLOWED VIDEO NOSTALGIA, TOO!

let me add two more shows to those golden MTV oldies: "nación alternativa" and "lado B" (were their equivalents in the US "alternative nation" and "B side"?)

I had totally forgotten about Alternative Nation with Kennedy. She annoyed me but i was attracted to her.

because you know that hardly anything good and truly worthwhile can be found in the mainstream. lana is a wonderful example of someone who got in through the cracks in the system ♥

This is almost verbatim what i wrote to her in part of an email i sent her sometime in late 2011. Then i found out she was no longer using that email address.

OMG, I used to love the Arsenio Hall show. Remember TLC performing on the show wearing condoms? Or Bill Clinton covering "Heartbreak Hotel" on his sax? Or Dave Koz?

Yeah, i remember all that. Remember when Faith No More did Epic and Mike Patton was punching a weird, life-size Hitler doll? What about 2 Live Crew doing Me So Horny? My home town Miami reprazentin on national TV (gosh, i remember around this time you could not escape 2 Live Crew in the local news and parents were outraged haa). Or how about Madonna and Arsenio flirting hardcore for like half an hour? But nothing on that show was more amazing than this. SUCH a great, awkward moment in TV history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6W5_CSk044

I remember waiting for Poison (gawd, haa) to come on and then this happened and i had no idea what was going on.

One last note...this whole thread makes me think of this portion of a Frank Zappa interview. I don't care much for Zappa's music, but i really like and respect him a lot as a person, and i'm usually in agreement with a lot of his politics. What he says here i agree with 100%. I love this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMqS4F7Zc4

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

umm, no, i belong to that bygone era as well! i was practically raised on MTV, i never went through the "kids music" phase ("sesame street" or whatever)...i had MTV on all day with a videocassette on cue, ready to record the videos i liked! what joy, after all the expectation, when your favorite vids came on! :oprah: (i can imagine how inconceivable this is to those who only know the experience of seeing videos on youtube). and you could still discover good bands! who would've thought it would one day come to this, a fucking low-brow reality TV channel with crap videos played only as filler between shows?????

OMG I USED TO DO THAT, I loved sitting there with the videocassette ready to record and being all excited when my favorite videos came on... Awe now I'm all nostalgic

dlnh8i.gif

OMG I USED TO DO THAT, I loved sitting there with the videocassette ready to record and being all excited when my favorite videos came on... Awe now I'm all nostalgic

i think cassette are still a cool thing!

It gives you a different approach to the media you're into!

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelanalikelife ♥Music For Lana&Lana's Fans♥