Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

10 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

When Lasso was planned, the situation was different. Lana was on her way to the top, maybe even expecting a Grammy win. The streaming numbers are going down again (she even deleted her Spotify profile), she's losing ground every week (despite monthly listeners are still high) and it doesn't look like she'll be able to bring them back up with a country album (Beyoncé's country album wasn't a big hit either). So I guess they've just pulled the ripcord now and want to change direction as soon as possible. Hence the collab with Quavo (hip hop has been very successful on Spotify lately).

Lana has never been about topping the charts or releasing songs to break streaming records though…?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

17 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

When Lasso was planned, the situation was different. Lana was on her way to the top, maybe even expecting a Grammy win. The streaming numbers are going down again (she even deleted her Spotify profile), she's losing ground every week (despite monthly listeners are still high) and it doesn't look like she'll be able to bring them back up with a country album (Beyoncé's country album wasn't a big hit either). So I guess they've just pulled the ripcord now and want to change direction as soon as possible. Hence the collab with Quavo (hip hop has been very successful on Spotify lately).

Her streams are actually really good for someone who hasn’t released anything major in over a year. She is already doing better than artists like Dua Lipa and Beyoncé who just released albums this year. She is only behind artists like Taylor, Ariana, and Billie who also just released albums and have major promo behind them. I also saw yesterday that she is the only female artist along with Taylor, Rihanna, and Beyonce to sell 1+ million albums units in the US this year. Even if she were doing poorly, Lana isn’t someone who cares about charts or streams so that shouldn’t impact any project she is working on. 

17 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Lana has never been about topping the charts or releasing songs to break streaming records though…?

But what if she is? dun dun I wanna show you just how disturbed this has made me

3 minutes ago, DemonMic2003 said:

But what if she is? dun dun I wanna show you just how disturbed this has made me

She wouldn’t have released a 9 and a half minute long single in 2018 when the rest of the industry switched to making 2-minute tiktok hits if she was trying to top the charts, haha.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

26 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

I agree with most of what you said. The Henry teaser hinted at a folky song… and those don’t do well on Spotify for Lana. 

she had an incredibly successful year in 2023 (I mean, second most streamed female act, 10th overall)… the fact that she looked at Ben, with her « Oh God » comment, makes me think Interscope wants to try to have another very successful year for her, although 2024 is jammed-packed with new releases and returns by big pop acts (which explains her numbers going down). And like you said, « country pop » might not be the best way to have a big success on her hands. Hell, many of us here, on LB, are a bit mid with a country album. 

Her caption of this week’s post, quoting Fishtail, makes me wonder if it wasn’t some sort of shade towards her label… Billie is a big hit this year, with her album (which is clearly « Lana lineage », with sad girl shit) and she is too with Interscope… I wonder if her label didn’t ask her to go back to her « sad sound » of BTD or UV (which would be ironic AF: Interscope wasn’t very enthusiastic of UV in the first place). We’ll never know for sure, I guess :tsk:

Can’t believe we’re still debating on if this is coming or not, pisses me off that when they talk to her about lasso they don’t ask the right question, like why don’t they mention one of these questions 

1- Lana is the upcoming album still called lasso?

2- Lana is lasso still coming this year?

3- Lana when can we expect the album announcement 

4- Lana when can we expect the first single?

5- and so on…..

If one of these questions is asked, it will literally tell us enough about the album 

30 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

She doesn’t care about that for sure… and yet, she is signed to a label that wants her to be a big success and they want to make money. She’s been able to pull of some real « stunts » that weren’t hit per se probably because BtD was doing so well, same with UV in the long run. But 2024 is jammed with new female releases and I guess her label wants her to have a somewhat hit with Lana too. And is country the way to do it? Not sure. Beyoncé had big numbers the first week of Cowboy Carter… but her numbers have declined dramatically ever since (Lana is having bigger numbers even though she didn’t release anything new). 

3 minutes ago, Americen Whore said:

Can’t believe we’re still debating on if this is coming or not, pisses me off that when they talk to her about lasso they don’t ask the right question, like why don’t they mention one of these questions 

1- Lana is the upcoming album still called lasso?

2- Lana is lasso still coming this year?

3- Lana when can we expect the album announcement 

4- Lana when can we expect the first single?

5- and so on…..

If one of these questions is asked, it’s literally enough to know ALOT about the album 

:gclap:

Let’s hope she releases Tough this summer… this could be her summer hit…

8 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Her caption of this week’s post, quoting Fishtail, makes me wonder if it wasn’t some sort of shade towards her label… Billie is a big hit this year, with her album (which is clearly « Lana lineage », with sad girl shit) and she is too with Interscope… I wonder if her label didn’t ask her to go back to her « sad sound » of BTD or UV (which would be ironic AF: Interscope wasn’t very enthusiastic of UV in the first place). We’ll never know for sure, I guess :tsk:

I don’t think so considering I think it was in the Ivors speech that she specifically thanked Interscope for basically not giving a fuck or ever pressuring her and letting her do whatever she wants with her music, and everything about her output in the past decade about her seems to validate that

any label at this point would have understood that in the long run they’ll win more by just letting Lana do her thing

4 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

She doesn’t care about that for sure… and yet, she is signed to a label that wants her to be a big success and they want to make money.

I think (hope) Interscope has learned that letting Lana be authentic and release what she wants has worked so far lol, it's not like Lana hasn't brought in money. They're not going to force her to release radio friendly pop music if she doesn't want to. In fact, that would probably make a lot of fans question what's going on.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Just now, honeyslow said:

I don’t think so considering I think it was in the Ivors speech that she specifically thanked Interscope for basically not giving a fuck or ever pressuring her and letting her do whatever she wants with her music, and everything about her output in the past decade about her seems to validate that

Thanks for the info! I admit I haven’t listened to her speech :bebe:

So I guess it could really be that she’s unsure about the album after all :tsk: anyways, I don’t mind the « delay » if we do end up with an incredible album in the end. But she should have kept the teasing (especially the snippets) to a minimum. 

1 minute ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I think (hope) Interscope has learned that letting Lana be authentic and release what she wants has worked so far lol, it's not like Lana hasn't brought in money. They're not going to force her to release radio friendly pop music if she doesn't want to. In fact, that would probably make a lot of fans question what's going on.

Lana sure is an oddball in the musical landscape, a true visionary and artist who already left her mark. And it’s true that she’s been very successful so far.

I guess her reactions could mean she really is second-guessing Lasso… 

13 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I guess her reactions could mean she really is second-guessing Lasso… 

Yeah, and even though I was really curious and excited I don't want her to release something she's not proud of or 100% sure of, so I'm ok with her taking her time

(a cute lil digital ep for Lasso so we can move on would be cute though) :trisha:

J7ydenn Lana Del Rey GIF - J7ydenn Lana Del Rey Honeymoon - Discover &  Share GIFs

dreaming away your life

31 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

Even if she were doing poorly, Lana isn’t someone who cares about charts or streams so that shouldn’t impact any project she is working on. 

I know, but her team will certainly take care of it. But I also think, this situation has changed since her Taylor collab (from which she still benefits). But as long as she still has concerts with 70000 listeners, that's not such a big problem. The only question is how the future will develop. How long will people continue to stream albums that are already 10 years old or older?

9 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

A part of me feels that we may be reading too much into some small bits here and there. I still wouldn’t be surprised if the album comes this year

One thing is for sure though: she’ll have to make a decision « soon » if she reevaluates Lasso: a MV has been shot for Tough, the song has been teased… whether it’s the lead for the album or a standalone single for the meantime. :true:

1 hour ago, bluechemtrails said:

When Lasso was planned, the situation was different.

That was literally 4 months ago, and yesterday she teased the visuals for the supposed lead single from Lasso.

The streaming numbers are going down again (she even deleted her Spotify profile), she's losing ground every week (despite monthly listeners are still high)

Bullshit. Her streaming numbers are rising again and she's doing better than in April or March, for example.

Lana Del Rey's monthly streams on Spotify in 2024:

January — 742M
February — 729M
March — 675M
April — 700M
May — 707M

Total — 3.55B streams

So I guess they've just pulled the ripcord now and want to change direction as soon as possible.

Lana would never do that because of label pressure. She is Lana Del Rey and they literally let her release Blue Banisters.

Hence the collab with Quavo (hip hop has been very successful on Spotify lately).

And again. Quavo's songs are getting exactly 0 streams on Spotify, but Lana has been saying since 2017 that she wants to work with Migos.

:toofunny:

Every single piece of information we have about this album is so confusing, she hasn't said something concrete about it since the day she announced it. I really feel like anything could happen, like I'd be shocked if it was released this year after so much uncertainty, but she never really explicitly said that it's scrapped, except to that one fan that could be lying. At this point I don't even want Lasso, I just want to know what's going to happen because I'm confused af :pout:

Quavo's 2024 songs and their daily streams on Spotify:

Potato Loaded - 33,048
Himothy - 12,691
Tender - 9,997

Let The Light In - 553,064
Take Me Home, Country Roads (Lana's cover) - 103,773

Yeah, that's definitely label's pressure.. But not hers perhaps. :ma: