shadesofblue

10th Anniversary of Ultraviolence - June 13th

Posted (edited)

One of the first albumsย that shaped me into who i am todayย 

still speaks to me on a deeperย lever after all those years , with the meaning of each song changing and evolving as i mature every yearย 

for me it captures the feeling of melancholy so well from the lyrics to the imagery ,ย it is one of her most well crafted albums to date imoย 

Happy 10th birthdayย UVย :trisha:

Edited by Deadly Nightshade
forgot how to write in english today lmao

ย 

ย 

๐‘ณ๐’Š๐’‡๐’† ๐’Š๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’‚๐’–๐’•๐’Š๐’‡๐’–๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’…๐’๐’'๐’• ๐’‰๐’‚๐’—๐’† ๐’‚ ๐’„๐’๐’–๐’†

This album found me in a very dark time in my life. In May 2014 I entered this kind of fugue state.ย Everyoneโ€™s faces began to blur into obscurity, voices dissolved into indistinguishable static, every step I walked felt like a weightless drift, and the days blurred into a seamless continuum. It felt like my insides had been hollowed out, and the thought of taking my own life became a relentless reverberation in my mind. I was only 18 years old and in my first year of uni, and I had to be brought back home.ย 

ย 

I still remember the freezingย winter evening when UV leaked on Tumblr. I was babysitting and had just tucked the kids into bed, leaving me alone in the living room with nothing but the warmth of a crackling fire. How special it was to be able to sit in that kind of serene stillness while listening to this album for the first time.

ย 

My mental health nonetheless worsened and I was admitted into an inpatient mental health facility. UV was my salvation in there. At the risk of sounding parasocial, itย felt as if the album was crafted just for me, particularly Black Beauty. "Darling, you can't let everything seem so dark blue."ย I'll never forget sitting in the art room for hours on end, creating mosaicsย and listening to the songs over and over. But things did get better.ย 

ย 

And here I am, 10 years later. Iโ€™m engaged, pursuing my postgrad in psychology,ย and on a meticulously crafted cocktail of medsย lmao. And I truly am so happy now. The magnificence of the sun and the ocean blue finally make sense to me.

ย 

Happy 10th birthday Ultraviolence, thank you so much for being there for me.ย 

ย 

Spoiler

Bonus: just to showcase the power this album had over me, here's a picture of me from those years. In 2014 I stole my dad's Jack Daniels t-shirt and cut the sleeves off, and I dyed my blonde hair brown. I took this particular selfie the day that I saw Lana live in NYC in 2015 (for which I had travelled over 12 000 kilometres. I got a summer job in the States just so I could go see her. The dedication was real lmao.)

eKd7H7m.png

ย 

In 2015, I got a tattoo that said "ultraviolence" on my collarbone. I wanted my own font so I removed the serifs from a free blackletter font. Nineย years later, I'm having my final exam ofย the best type design master in the world in a week... UV changed my life. It will always be my favourite album universe

4tdWYMA.png

omg this is so iconic last year i wasย wearing eye pencil under my lower lashes bc of lana and aย leather jackets to go to school, happy 10 years birthday ultraviolence!!

Old Money, 2:12

tumblr_n66t9eCeoM1rdpjfqo1_500.gifv

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Fetus said:

omg this is so iconic last year i wasย wearing eye pencil under my lower lashes bc of lana and aย leather jackets to go to school last year, happy 10 years birthday ultraviolence!!

When I was 15 I did the same. Turned up to school every day that summer in this beautiful thrifted leather jacket, blaring Ultraviolence in my headphonesย :poordat: The memories

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gifย gmgif.gifย morrissey-flowers.gif

Happy 10th anniversary, Ultraviolence! You, along with Born to Die, changed my life for the better and made me the Lana stan I am today. :wubna:

giphy.gif

ย 

13 minutes ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

ok now that everyoneโ€™s said their pieceโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.. where are the mother Fucking leaks โ€ฆย :makeup2:

And when we get nothing or worse the fake demos.

ย 

20 minutes ago, Topanga said:

I want moneyyyyy powerrrrrrrr and is this happiness on Spotifyyyyyy

ย 

6 minutes ago, DemonMic2003 said:

ย 

ย 

Ultraviolence; against all controversy, it became one of the most relevant and popular albums from the last decade... I'd say it totally turned into a 2010s/Alternative classic. The 1 2 3 4 5 PUNCH that is Cruel World - West Coast... one of the strongest compositions of all time.

ย 

Musically, it's hot and crazy and psychedelic and very very dark. My favorite thing about it had always been the drums... Just crazy. Lyrically I admire the abused and mentally saturated POV... she was so brave to even dare to put this record out, and the fact that she had to fight for it. And it all paid off, like everything she does when she trusts in her vision. Visually stunning, with some of her best ever photoshoots and music videos.

ย 

As a fan, it was a very "unstable" era because of how angry she was with the media and all the interview cancelations and stuff. Even concert cancelations iirc? And then The Guardian happened. It was a lot.

ย 

I don't necessarily connect with this album emotionally; I mean, I have never connected my own life experiences with this album, and I never had it as a soundtrack in that period of my life. I'm more emotionally inclined to Honeymoon and Norman for instance, but I really admire Ultraviolence for the music. Pretty When You Cry has to be one of the best rock songs ever.

ย 

West Coast, Pretty When You Cry, Flipside and Black Beauty will always be my favorite songs.

2 minutes ago, Topanga said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Slay. But if she puts them on streaming I want them to be touched up a bit. Is this happiness needs some moreย outro vocalsย and flipside needs the live production.ย 

1 minute ago, PARADIXO said:

West Coast, Pretty When You Cry, Flipside and Black Beauty will always be my favorite songs.

Taste. Those are my favs too. Along with fucked my way.

Arrived on the eveย of my 18th birthday yeah formative doesn't cover it. Just the coolestย album. She was on fire WHITE HOT and more so than we ever knew... All these subsequently leaked demos from this period show that... that's world building. So deeply IN IT. Artists like that do not come around often.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

also i find it quite admirable that she gambled her new-found BTD successย after years of trying to get people to listen to her music to chase a complete genre shift to more rock-heavy sound. paid off for her because she made thee best album of all time. she always stays true to herself and authenticย :true:

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23ย - 10/7/23