Embach

Southern Gothic Music

54 minutes ago, Candy Necklace said:

maybe she has a souther gothic version of Beautiful locked up with the surf rock version :crying:

We should be so lucky.

8 minutes ago, Blackcloud said:

I think Ultraviolence fits my perception of a Southern Gothic aesthetic also. Videos like ‘Ultraviolence’, tracks like ‘Old Money’

Yes! I have always found Ultraviolence title track very gothic to be honest.

2.gif

Not sure I have a firm grasp on what southern gothic is, but a few tracks off Kicker by Zella Day kinda feel like they’re maybe southern gothic-ish?

Shadow Preachers

Jameson

Maybe The Outlaw Josey Wales to some degree, lyrically, but it’s more upbeat than I’d envision southern gothic really sounding.

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

If not solely, this song has at least Southern Gothic vibes. I would say that about Nostalghia's most songs! :diva:

2.gif

FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM...one of my fav goth bands and one of the best gothabilly groups (im a goth before anything dont ask :rip:)

https://open.spotify.com/track/5X5AH9EH6CHZG31H1c3OiP?si=b5f4d3939c4c42ed

siouxsie covers album :)) some classics on here

https://open.spotify.com/album/7kEqVGkLoruahp34YW16oe?si=HRncVpbqTi-nfIWxbQ3Tmg

ok in my mind i conceptualise southern gothic as like fever-hot carnivalesque neil young + david lynch 🎠

you want it darker - leonard cohen

in my room - nancy sinatra

star dream girl - david lynch

opium tea - nick cave

i can never go home anymore - the shangri-;as

expecting to fly - buffalo springfield

down by the river - neil young

just everything neil young honestly i must insert this genius man everywhere

oh + mark kozelek (unfortunately) like hey u bastard im still here

mUENGN9.png

58 minutes ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

ok in my mind i conceptualise southern gothic as like fever-hot carnivalesque neil young + david lynch 🎠

I'm obsessed with this description :flutter:

2.gif

Ghost Highway - Mazzy Star

American Tradition - Nicole Dollanganger

Carmen GIF by Lana Del Rey

︵‿୨ ♱ I talk to Jesus / And ask him if he'll think of saving me ♱ ୧‿︵

On 8/22/2024 at 7:26 PM, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

Personal Jesus, by the greatest band ever.

Lover to lover - Florence

This wheels on fire - Siouxsie

On 8/22/2024 at 9:14 PM, jimmyjimmycocoapuff said:

Y'all I don't wanna be mean or whatever but let's not bastardise the meaning of southern gothic please. Mitski is not southern gothic. Florence is a british woman. Let's keep it sensible!!

Southern Gothic is a genre that originated in literature but then crossed over multiple media (like music, movies, video games) and, as the word suggests, has its roots in the deep South. The "creepy", "unsettling", "dark" environment that SG is mostly associated with nowadays are real but they're just the tip of the iceberg, and probably its easily "digestible" elements.

To really understand SG as an aesthetic current you have to understand the South of the US, especially as it pertains to the Reconstruction era of its history. Alienation of the self, religious fanatism (like cults), trauma, loss, racial and sexual violence... these are all elements of SG, an aesthetic that is mainly born out of the decadence, both moral and artistic, that followed the Secession. 

Southern gothic doesn't just mean whatever is creepy or sad or whatever... Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant is a good example in a lot of ways of southern gothic and Americana. 

On 8/22/2024 at 2:10 PM, shadesofblue said:

I think some hoizer. one that comes to mind is it will come back. Also gold dust woman and black magic woman by Fleetwood Mac kinda has that vibe

But those aren't Southern in any sense of the word. Southern Gothic means rooted in the American Deep South, so Hozier or Fleetwood Mac can't be examples, as Stevie and Lindsey were not born or raised in the Deep South and the rest of the band are British—as is Hozier (I realize it wasn't you who put his name/song forth). What I think you're describing are witchy-sounding songs, of which the Eagles' Witchy Woman would be an excellent example, among several others of theirs, like the excellent Too Many Hands

Let's not appropriate regions. 

12 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

Y'all I don't wanna be mean or whatever but let's not bastardise the meaning of southern gothic please. Mitski is not southern gothic. Florence is a british woman. Let's keep it sensible!!

Southern Gothic is a genre that originated in literature but then crossed over multiple media (like music, movies, video games) and, as the word suggests, has its roots in the deep South. The "creepy", "unsettling", "dark" environment that SG is mostly associated with nowadays are real but they're just the tip of the iceberg, and probably its easily "digestible" elements.

To really understand SG as an aesthetic current you have to understand the South of the US, especially as it pertains to the Reconstruction era of its history. Alienation of the self, religious fanatism (like cults), trauma, loss, racial and sexual violence... these are all elements of SG, an aesthetic that is mainly born out of the decadence, both moral and artistic, that followed the Secession. 

Southern gothic doesn't just mean whatever is creepy or sad or whatever... Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant is a good example in a lot of ways of southern gothic and Americana. 

THANK YOU, i'm honestly tired of people thinking that any vaguely country/folk-sounding song with some hint of sadness or darkness is southern gothic (and not a lot being mentioned is even that) it's honestly quite a specific descriptor/genre that carries a lot of history

If it's authentic Southern Gothic, then the writer/musician essentially has to come from the American Deep South*. Lana can adopt a Southern Gothic vibe, tone, or mood—she adopts all kinds of styles and genres and puts them to use—but she's never going to be a tried-and-true Southern or Country artist regardless of Lasso and whatever else she does in that direction. Look at Orville Peck—he's adopted a Country music style but he's from South Africa. He's free to do as he pleases, but he can't say he's from the Deep South or even America—and Country as a musical genre really comes from all over America, not just the Deep South (though predominantly from the Deep South), unlike Southern Gothic. Southern is in the name! 

*It's like an other geographical area—you can do an album or write a song in the style of the early Beatles, but you will never be able to say you're a Liverpoolian if you weren't born there.  Look how Joni Mitchell has consistently stressed that her music was formed and shaped by her early life as a Canadian Prairie Girl. The regional area we're raised or live in often seeps into us, for better or worse.   

44 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

Exactly. Thanks. I just basically said the same thing.