lanakissmeinyourchevrolet

Lana's Inspirations & Influences

She likes Mark Ryden's paintings. (Like she said here, they "drive her crazy").

piano-man_d.jpg

Oh my God, I've been obsessed about Mark Ryden for years!

It's no wonder she loves them, they mix pop-culture with religion, meat and general creepyness flawlessly.

Not to mention the Jesus and baby blue in the painting...it's very Lana.

(Side note: remember when Lady Gaga has been accused of riping Ryden off with the meat dress? :troll:)

lady-gaga-mark-ryden.jpg

i am nothing and should be everything

I always got a Natural Born Killers vibe from a lot of her stuff. I don't remember if she ever mentioned the movie, so it might be speculation, but I think she has seen and loved it.

Like the way the movie uses lots of unrelated vintage clips to set a mood is similar to how Lana does it in her videos. That whole Ride-or-die, American sweetheart turned crazy with lots of bad wigs-kinda style that Mallory Knox has going on reminds a lot of Lana too.

her skype name used to be malloryknoxxxx or something like that :creep:

I was uncertain if she liked Goodfellas

she quoted it on her old twitter (see my signature)

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Going BACK to Tarantino films - True Romance (1993) - Written by Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott. 

Patricia Arquette (who Lana's expressed being a fan of) plays Alabama Whitman who starts the film as a prostitute that marries her 3rd customer, Clarence. Clarence saves her from her pimp, accidentally steals a suitcase of their yayo from him and they drive to Hollywood to sell it. 

Similarities: 

1. Elvis worship - Clarence Worley is described in the script as a "young hipster hepcat":

LDR (quotes):

• Elvis is my daddy
  • Dirty Elvis Fantasy
  • baby's breathin Elvis lyrics - etc.

TR:

• [Clarence talking about Elvis] I'm no fag, but Elvis was good-lookin'. He was fuckin' prettier than most women. I always said if I ever had to fuck a guy... I mean had to 'cause my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis. 
    [Lucy] I'd fuck Elvis. 
    [Clarence]
    So we'd both fuck Elvis. It's nice to meet people with common interests, isn't it? 
  • Clarence also has his room covered in Elvis posters, talks about Elvis with strangers, Alabama uses an Elvis bust to save her life and Elvis appears as Clarence's 'Spirit guide' helping him in tough situations. Clarence and Alabama also name their son Elvis. 
  • [Clarence to Alabama]: You like Elvis, you like Janis, you like the Partridge family
    [Alabama] Actually, I don't like the Partridge family...

2. No Kung Fu[?]

LDR:

• The 2007 Demo EP from Lana. I don't know for sure if it's fan-made - the title 'No Kung Fu' is pretty different.. and specific. But this film is what I thought of once I heard of this demo. (If this title is indeed 100% fake, then ignore).

TR:

• [Clarence] [sonny Chiba] is, bar none, the greatest actor in martial arts movies ever.
    [Lucy, not believing this] You want to take me to a Kung Fu movie?
    [Clarence] ...three Kung Fu movies.
    [Lucy, taking a drag] I don't think so. Not my cup of tea.
  • Clarence is a big fan of Kung Fu and that's how he meets Alabama. They both have this love in common. 
  • Lucy looks and sounds like Marilyn Monroe:
    30300-20093.gif

3. Lana/Lizzy-esque themes VS True Romance:

LDR: 

• Lizzy had that southern charm going on, name-dropping states such as New Jersey, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi. She (and LDR) is also fond of Hollywood and Las Vegas. Lastly, she's mentioned Detroit in G&R and is alright with NYC since she was born there.
  • The rest of you Lizzy you would know about.

TR: 

• The couple start off in downtown Detroit - we see a smoky cocktail bar with the marilyn monroe look-a-like. We see a dingy motel room (with yayo stashes, gangstas and guns) and we see C's daddy's trailer home and white Chevy Nova.
  • They drive through America, going to Las Vegas and L.A. Most of the shots are of them staying at different h/motels including Motel 6, driving on the road or ordering fast food.
  • Alabama gives her new step daddy a big kiss on the lips before they leave, surprising both men. 
  • They then move through Las Vegas to California and deal with Hollywood big shots like actors and directors. Alabama has the idea to have Clarence meet the buyer on a rollercoaster and they refer to the cocaine as 'cola'. [butterflies part 2. coincidence? "Puts them on a rollercoaster, lures them in with Coca Cola". Or "coca-cola kid, rollercoaster child."]
  • The couple's best friend is trying to make it big in Hollywood, the other guy is already a famous actor and is arrested for speeding and yayo possession. 
  • Alabama is named after the state and is an all-American sweetheart with a southern accent. The clothes she wears (mainly leopard fur print) are all from Vegas, Nevada. She worked as a prostitute for a few days. Alabama's wardrobe is the perfect blend of pastels and trashy Americana; bubble gum sweet and steamingly sexy all in one. Clarence is dressed in rockabilly style with suede shoes, denim turn-ups, a white t-shirt worn under a red Hawaiian shirt and gold Elvis costume shades.
  • Alabama is very attractive to her bad boy, thinking it's so romantic for him to kill gangstas and when he's closing a big drug deal, she passes him a love note that says he's "so cool". 
  • The only foods that Alabama and Clarence eat (and crave) are fast foods and coca cola.
  • Lots and lots of yayo. 

Quotes VS lyrics:

[Lana]: Wrong, I know, killing someone. Gets a little easier when you've done it once.

[Virgil]: Now the first guy you kill is always the hardest. [...] Now, the second one...it ain't half as tough row to hoe. You still feel somethin' but it's just so deluted this time around. [...] The third one's easy. It's gotten to the point now I'll do it just to watch their expressions change.

[Lana]: My man walked in like a slow motion movie, I said, "you're so cool".
[Alabama's monologue]: that three words went through my mind endlessly... you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. 

[Lana]: Baby, I'm a four alarm fire and I'm what you desire.

[Clarence] Isn't she the sweetest goddamned girl you ever saw in your whole life? Is she a four alarm fire, or what?

[Lana]: Live fast, die young, be wild and have fun.

[Clarence]: [Elvis] In [Jailhouse Rock], couldn't give a fuck about anything except rockin' and rollin', livin' fast, dyin' young, and leaving a good-looking corpse.

[Lana]: Not since Bonnie and Clyde was two kids, so good at being bad bad bad
[TR tagline]: Not since Bonnie and Clyde have two people been so good at being bad

[Lana]: French vanilla ice-cream, just the way I like.

[Clarence]: Do I look like a beautiful blond with big tits and an ass that tastes like French vanilla ice-cream?

Lyrics vs. Picture:

[Lana] Sit back in my pink cadillac (Alabama drive in their pink-purple Cadillac through - and eventually out of - America).

TR: True-Romance-Arquette_l.jpg

[Lana]: Your red Hawaiian shirt and you hair jet black, hanging 'round with your friends by the track

TR:amor_a_quemarropa_8522_635x.jpg

I haven't been on here in forever but I thought I would share this~

so i was reading Tristessa by Jack Kerouac the other day and, being an LDR fan, one particular passage jumped out at me...

"All of us trembling in our mortality boots, born to die, BORN TO DIE I could write it on the wall and on Walls all over America" ... "I become depressed and I gotta go home. Everyone of us, born to die"

so i know born to die is a common phrase, but we know how lana loves the beat generation and we know how she loves her literary allusions , so I feel like this book might have inspired BTD (song and/or album, or just the title). just cause of the way that one phrase was emphasized in that chapter. idk  :whatever:

tumblr_n44ko1s3Pk1rkudelo1_400.gif

I don't if this has been mentioned / discussed elsewhere, and I do know it's kinda speculative, but bear with me...

Blanche Dubois. You know, of 'A Streetcar Named Desire'? I've recently re-watched the film and it got me thinking.

From Wikipedia - "(...) the former Southern belle has a lurid past (a marriage to a young homosexual who committed suicide when she discovered his secret; notorious sexual promiscuity; ongoing alcoholism, etc.) as well as genuine spiritual idealism and refinement."

Also her attraction to violent and "wrong" men / abusive relationships, the tragic death of her first love (albeit in very different circumstances), her insecurity and absolute need to be adored by everyone (especially men), and last but not least Blanche's iconic quote "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers", which Lana could be referencing in the Ride monologue as well as in Kinda Outta Luck and Carmen.

Carmen in particular sounds like it could have been at least partly inspired by her or a Blanche-like character --- Darling, darling, doesn't have a problem / Lying to herself cause her liquor's top shelf / It's alarming honestly how charming she can be / Fooling everyone, telling how she's having fun (...) Baby's all dressed up, with nowhere to go / That's the little story of the girl you know / Relying on the kindness of strangers / Tying cherry knots, smiling, doing party favours / Put your red dress on, put your lipstick on --- not to mention the little French interlude.

At the very least she's maybe a character Lana somewhat relates to / feels inspired by? I don't know, maybe it's too much of a stretch, but what do you guys think?

I agree Lana must have been inspired (obviously) by Blanche Dubois for Carmen (relying on the kindness of strangers) and I think she was also inspired by Holly Golightly, the main character of Breakfast at Tiffany's. I also see a bit of Scarlett O'Hara in that song as well.

Holly uses the word darling all the time. The liquor's top shelf might be inspired by one of the movie scene (check video below). She's known for her irresistible charm, her vivacious and bubbly personality, but she has a dark past. She is a sad, extremely confused and vulnerable girl. She's fooling everyone, specially her male admirers, by pretending she's having fun with them so she can make a living (they gave her $50 for the powder room, $50 for her cab…). In reality, she calls them rats and doesn't give a shit about them. She has the loveliest cartoon eyes. She was in her late teens. Diamonds are a symbol. She was living at night, getting back home at sunrise. She often uses French expressions in the movie as her old agent thought learning French would smooth out her redneck accent (the interlude is in French). We see her changing clothes and put on party dresses, applying lipstick in a cab, singing a song (Moon River).

It is not shown in the movie, but in the novella Holly is fond of marijuana (getting high for free) and she's also bisexual (the boys, the GIRLS, they all like Carmen).

Finally, I think she got inspired by the strip club scene in the movie. Watch the second video (the intro) then listen to Mermaid Motel (the intro). Edit: and look at the stripper dress... quite mermaidy (just realized it!)

I agree Lana must have been inspired (obviously) by Blanche Dubois for Carmen (relying on the kindness of strangers) and I think she was also inspired by Holly Golightly, the main character of Breakfast at Tiffany's. I also see a bit of Scarlett O'Hara in that song as well.

Holly uses the word darling all the time. The liquor's top shelf might be inspired by one of the movie scene (check video below). She's known for her irresistible charm, her vivacious and bubbly personality, but she has a dark past. She is a sad, extremely confused and vulnerable girl. She's fooling everyone, specially her male admirers, by pretending she's having fun with them so she can make a living (they gave her $50 for the powder room, $50 for her cab…). In reality, she calls them rats and doesn't give a shit about them. She has the loveliest cartoon eyes. She was in her late teens. Diamonds are a symbol. She was living at night, getting back home at sunrise. She often uses French expressions in the movie as her old agent thought learning French would smooth out her redneck accent (the interlude is in French). We see her changing clothes and put on party dresses, applying lipstick in a cab, singing a song (Moon River).

It is not shown in the movie, but in the novella Holly is fond of marijuana (getting high for free) and she's also bisexual (the boys, the GIRLS, they all like Carmen).

Finally, I think she got inspired by the strip club scene in the movie. Watch the second video (the intro) then listen to Mermaid Motel (the intro). Edit: and look at the stripper dress... quite mermaidy (just realized it!)

I knew that melody in Mermaid Motel was familiar! Ugh I love Breakfast At Tiffany's and I loved your interpretation Kiki! This turns Carmen into a whole different thing, at least for me... I mean besides the clear Lolita inspiration all these references you mention are on point.

:gclap:

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Also Fiona Apple u.u

--

Blanche Dubois. You know, of 'A Streetcar Named Desire'? I've recently re-watched the film and it got me thinking.

From Wikipedia - "(...) the former Southern belle has a lurid past (a marriage to a young homosexual who committed suicide when she discovered his secret; notorious sexual promiscuity; ongoing alcoholism, etc.) as well as genuine spiritual idealism and refinement."

I'm sorry, but I did not understand a thing. Wikipedia talks about the film or Lana? That is an analogy with the history of film that has a reflected in an experience of Lana, or is it the plot?

sorry again :) thanks

I don't recall if Lana has cited Lou Reed as one of her influences, but I just made a connection today that probably seems obvious to everyone else. Sorry, I'm kinda dense at times. :) I've heard the song "Walk on the Wild Side" a bazillion times on the radio, but never knew it was by Lou Reed! So, I'm guessing that the lyric "Baby take a walk on the wild side" in "Born To Die" is an homage, or at least a reference, to Lou Reed...?

I made the discovery today because a friend of mine is performing in the musical "Bright Star," which is a collaboration between Steve Martin and Edie Brickell. I looked up Edie Brickell on Wikipedia, and saw that she had done a cover of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side," and that was when I learned that that song was by him!

I don't recall if Lana has cited Lou Reed as one of her influences, but I just made a connection today that probably seems obvious to everyone else. Sorry, I'm kinda dense at times. :) I've heard the song "Walk on the Wild Side" a bazillion times on the radio, but never knew it was by Lou Reed! So, I'm guessing that the lyric "Baby take a walk on the wild side" in "Born To Die" is an homage, or at least a reference, to Lou Reed...?

I made the discovery today because a friend of mine is performing in the musical "Bright Star," which is a collaboration between Steve Martin and Edie Brickell. I looked up Edie Brickell on Wikipedia, and saw that she had done a cover of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side," and that was when I learned that that song was by him!

I feel as if even though Lana loves Lou Reed (He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed...) I feel as if her line in BTD "take a walk on the wild side" is just something she actually came up with to fit the song good. I don't think it has to do with any reference to Lou Reed.

Would love to start this discussion again.

I just finished watching Wild at Heart and I loved it. I know especially at the beginning of 2012 Lana was bombarded with comments from interviewers about David Lynch and she actually stated she's not a huge fan/not that familiar with a lot of his works but I couldn't help notice some similarities whilst watching!

Particularly this scene instantly made me think of the clip in the original blue jeans video

khkjw.png

Also in a scene in the motel bobby tells lula he's going to open her "like a christmas present" and I totally thought of the Be My Daddy lyric  :usrs:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

i know she's never explicitly stated it, but i know lana loves poetry and i can't help but notice natural influence on her work and persona and writing from none other than edgar allan poe, king of macabre. 

on this instagram post, she included a poe quote as the caption: "is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?" this is from his 1849 poem "a dream within a dream"

https://www.instagram.com/p/rFhDKjlnhq

i've been reading a lot of his stuff lately, especially the more memoir-type writings he did (not works of fiction) and his thoughts and ideas mimic a lot of hers.

he also is very obviously inclined to dark subject matter and isn't afraid to explore topics that might be considered offensive or shocking to many people.

i can edit this later to include more of his quotes that i think resonate with lana but this is all for now lol x

i wish this thread hadn't died, there's so much interesting stuff here already but so much is also missing... it should have almost as many pages as lanalysis, since it gives us so much insight into lana's interests & consequently her as a person imo.

anyway, trying to revive this with some NFR related content, i guess...

• Robert Frost's poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" - possibly via The Outsiders too? this part is obv speculation, but it seems like the kind of thing she'd like & reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOwPaC3ZaQQ

• Slim Aarons & his photos of celebrities, socialites and luxurious/ostentatious lifestyles in general; he's also noted for the poolside setting of many of this photos.

giant_unframed_674384077_Poolside_Party_

• Sylvia Plath, ofc. namely this poem which references stumbling from bed in a victorian nightgown (ty Genius.com)

• now indulge me for a sec - and i honestly KNOW this is prob a stretch, but i was just having too much trying to connect the dots to not at least mention it: in How To Disappear, she mentions a John, a Jim, leaving NYC for California, a kid, California sun & movie stars. if it weren't for John & the kid, i would've just chalked it all down as regular Lana themes and imagery. BUT those 2 things made me wonder, and suddenly it all clicked: Joan Didion.

- i mean, she's THE iconic Cali writer and in another post i & Trash Magic wondered whether Lana had been inspired by Didion's famous Corvette photoshoot for the UV cover and promo pics

- anyone's who's watched the critically acclaimed "The Center Will Not Hold" Netflix doc knows Didion (a NorCal native) lived in NYC for a few years and then moved back to California - this happened after one morning she started crying out of nowhere while having breakfast with her husband John Gregory Dunne ("John met me down at the boulevard / I cried on his shoulder 'cause life is hard / The waves came in over my head") and he quickly realized that she missed Cali and both decided it was time to leave NYC (Well now, it's been years since I left New York); Didion's also a noted anxious-depressive.

- she's known for having written an essay about Jim Morrison & The Doors recording at a studio in Sunset Blvd; she was already there when Jim arrived, late & presumably high; the band then stayed there a long time and the album they were recording took weeks to finish (Jim met me down at the training yard (training yard = metaphor for a studio?) (...) And I watched the guys getting high as they fight / For the things that they hold dear).

- now the really bizarre part for a Lana song: "'I've got a kid and two cats in the yard" - guess who had a kid? Didion, who adopted a girl around that same time and moved from HW to a big house in Malibu. no idea about the 2 cats, tho.

- also: "The California sun and the movie stars / And I watched the skies getting light as I write / As I think about those years" - Didion & her husband were screenplay writers and frequently had movie stars in their house; also Didion, beyond writing personal essays, also wrote at least 2 memoirs about her life so she'd def write "while thinking about those years")

ok so tl;dr: i don't think the song is about Didion, but i think it could be inspired by certain facts of her life that Lana might identify with or relate to (after all, she also went from NYC to LA, has a dark temperament, lives or lived in Malibu, considers herself a writer & is obsessed with a lot of the themes Didion dealt with in her writing). now call me delusional or inspired, but lemme hear your thoughts!!!

edit:

BONUS 1

(But I love that man like nobody can)
    tumblr_p1qyaqOG3b1s39hlao5_1280.png
    tumblr_p1qyaqOG3b1s39hlao6_1280.png

BONUS 2

a frequently quoted Didion passage:

“Vanish.
    Pass into nothingness: the Keats line that frightened her.
    Fade as the blue nights fade, go as the brightness goes.
    Go back into the blue.”

Bogey and Bacall, specifically the movie To Have and Have Not (“Put Your Lips Together”)

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

i'm not sure if there's already a topic about this so you can delete if so! but i'm trying to put together an entire list of the things lana has referenced/things she's influenced/inspired by - books, songs, etc. like how methamphetamines' melody is *based* off nino rota's what is a youth from romeo and juliet.

thank you!!