Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I'm with you when it comes to constructive critique (instead of either loving something extremely or bashing it and all the people who ma like it), but ...

I think it's quite reasonable to not judge a song based on two super short snippets and a live acapella of the first verse and then compare it with another short snippet.

________

I think JFK, AFFA, Starry Eyed, Hollywood and the Black Beauty demo are overrated. Everyone calls them "Untouchable" and thirsts for the album which would have contained them, but even though they are nice, I think if you listen to all of them one after another, they are quite forgetable and dull. Plus, if she would have released an album like this after Paradise, this wouldn't be any kind of positive style-development.

I think Hollywood and JFK should've made Paradise, Starry Eyed needed a second verse, and Black Beauty is overrated in general imo. AFFA is way too similar to Ride to ever have been released imo, shouldn't have closed Paradise either, like I saw some people say. I'm glad we have all of them though.

Catch and Release is her best work

okay, maybe not that far, but it's such a great song, even if the lyrics falter at time (I am a shark, beware of my bark?  :horror:  I'll eat you up like the center of a Tootsie Pop? :eek: )

you can't tack this onto the end of your post and expect this to not be addressed!  :P

the instrumental totally ruins the song for me because it's the sound of bubbles, random dinging and alarms. it makes me think of something MTV would've put on Liquid Television at 4 in the morning

BzhmW.png

i can't stand that photoshoot where she has a bee in her lip, it makes me want to vomit

the video for the shoot on her personal youtube is so fucking terrifying - she looks horrifying and evil

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

also I wouldn't change the UV cover whatsoever...it evokes so much feeling and really suits the nature of the album to a tee. i dont understand the dislike for it, sure there were other absolutely STELLAR photos to choose from, but i feel that none of them would have been as iconic or suitable as the actual one. imo, they would have been best placed in the album booklet (a la the one for HBHBHB)

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

also I wouldn't change the UV cover whatsoever...it evokes so much feeling and really suits the nature of the album to a tee. i dont understand the dislike for it, sure there were other absolutely STELLAR photos to choose from, but i feel that none of them would have been as iconic or suitable as the actual one. imo, they would have been best placed in the album booklet (a la the one for HBHBHB)

It suits a couple of the songs really well (Brooklyn Baby, West Coast, Florida Kilos) in that it has this cool, laid back summer vibe, but the rest of them draw much more strongly from noir/jazz themes to which the cover doesn't do any justice. It's kinda weird hearing Lana sing about her diamonds and her pearls while having an image of her in shorts and a t-shirt. I feel like she was trying to prove her effortlessness while at the same time trying to be unapologetic about her trademark glamour in the lyrics. It's a weird combination to me.

you can't tack this onto the end of your post and expect this to not be addressed!  :P

the instrumental totally ruins the song for me because it's the sound of bubbles, random dinging and alarms. it makes me think of something MTV would've put on Liquid Television at 4 in the morning

It took me a really long time to like this song. The only thing I liked about it at the beginning was the sitar-like sound at the beginning, and then the verse started and a farting synth happened. The second part of the verse sounded like the world's most demented merry-go-round, and the chorus was kind of gross. After many repeated listenings, for whatever reason, I started to appreciate the psychedelic circus of sitar players. And now... I can even say that I like it.

(I don't know what Liquid Television is so I can't appreciate this reference  :icant: )

When I first listened to Shades of cool I really didn't like it, even if Lana was so excited for that song.

I ignored Radio for months then I listened again to and I fell in love.

I don't like Noir, I don't know guess that it's for that screaming-chorus

tumblr_ncf5qwtL1C1tktqnpo1_500.giftumblr_nn0o28ngn21u6a0a7o1_500.gif

I don't like Noir, I don't know guess that it's for that screaming-chorus

yeah, noir doesn't do anything for me personally. if i want to be screamed at, thx lana but I'll rather just go talk to my parents lmao

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

I'm with you when it comes to constructive critique (instead of either loving something extremely or bashing it and all the people who ma like it), but ...

I think it's quite reasonable to not judge a song based on two super short snippets and a live acapella of the first verse and then compare it with another short snippet.

I offered my subjective opinion on what I heard in the snippet (actually I did't, but now I am forced to :thumb3: ), not judgement about the whole song which still doesn't exist in our collective consciousness. Also, Lana's music isn't an empirical science so that we should all obey to its established dogmas; everybody gets its own impression based on his or her personal experience or emotional condition. That snippet to me represents small window or a crack through which a dash of certain atmosphere sneaked, but I surely won't inscript in stone my opinion on something I don't have a single clue how it sounds in its completeness based on just a tiny patch. I don't prejudice, I just bring my casual surmise, which is a huge difference. ;)

But whatever, that debate is old already. :) :)

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif