Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

May I ask why you think honeymoon is cohesive

You mean as an album or an era?

Maybe it is more of a personal feeling or a vibe rather than something that everyone can see and reflect on, but to me her first three albums (and Paradise) truly created their own worlds or atmospheres. At those moments, Lana seemed to be focused on what she was creating. During Honeymoon era, she was working with the album while sharing only some information with us and then she just released it when the album got ready. She had beautiful aesthetics that fit the albums atmosphere (except I didn’t really like HBTB as a song or a video and the UV visuals in the Freak video still bother me since I know that they weren’t created for Freak itself in the first place lmao). She had her 2016 festival tour and then a small hiatus before Love, overall a really chill but still a nice era whatsoever.

Where as LFL era; it began by Love & the album trailer but somehow just slided into...? I don’t even know. She ditched the ‘cosmic witch from Hollyweird’-thing and started to share ideas and snippets that were never included in the album. We got excited about stuff and releases that were postponed or ended up never releasing at all. And same continued with NFR era. She was in the middle of LATTM tour while she said that she was working on Bartender and then released the HIAB snippet. And still we had 1,5 years left until NFR was released.

now that i thought of it I don’t know if ‘cohesive’ is the right word when compared to BTD or Paradise but when compared to LFL...

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

her unreleased debut is waayyyyy much better than btd. i remember seeing criticisms about how in btd, she doesn't have much going besides her love for bad boys; you didn't really know what she herself was about. but in the unreleased debut, not only are the songs just better and talk about corny topics without the songs ending up being corny themselves (she made a song about liking gas stations endearing I-), but i got a good sense of who she was and what she is all about. also, her image then didn't feel like it came out of a man's fantasy (i feel like ima get dragged oh lordt i like her whole aesthetic during the btd era but this is how i feel as a woman myself pls don't come for me); she was just a regular being whilst also being a very interesting one. 

this is just my own opinion, but i feel like her lizzy grant days/aka era was when she was most geniune. she was different, she sang about her trailer park, coney island, and all of the things she found endearing, lemonade, gas stations, sparklers, streamers, she had her own aesthetic that came with her videos and music which i feel are very unique and unlike anything i have heard before. i feel like me and "lizzy" have a lot in common. i wonder if the the amount of time ldrakalg was put on hold before release may of caused her to take a different artistic direction. it's obvious that the music she was making in 2010 was way different than it was in 2007/early 2008 so i bet putting out that record felt weird because it was old. i'm not saying btd era wasn't geniune to her, obviously she writes about her own experiences in different ways but i feel like the lizzy era was her most honest and geniune.

WGe8ynS.gif

I said sometime ago that I was worried she would become the Courtney Cox of her generation. Now, maybe it's safe to say that she may have even trespassed Courtney's level of self-ruining. It breaks my heart to see how she looks now and how she used to only two or three years ago...

I’m not a doctor but it seems like a lot of these celebrities have body dysmorphia. I just wish someone close to Lana would tell her to relax because she’s naturally beautiful (even pre-surgeries she was). Sad to see her continually alter her face. :(

this is just my own opinion, but i feel like her lizzy grant days/aka era was when she was most geniune. she was different, she sang about her trailer park, coney island, and all of the things she found endearing, lemonade, gas stations, sparklers, streamers, she had her own aesthetic that came with her videos and music which i feel are very unique and unlike anything i have heard before. i feel like me and "lizzy" have a lot in common. i wonder if the the amount of time ldrakalg was put on hold before release may of caused her to take a different artistic direction. it's obvious that the music she was making in 2010 was way different than it was in 2007/early 2008 so i bet putting out that record felt weird because it was old. i'm not saying btd era wasn't geniune to her, obviously she writes about her own experiences in different ways but i feel like the lizzy era was her most honest and geniune.

Oh my god YES!!!!! A very different and interesting girl that had her own unique interests and ideas outside of her relationships. that album made me appreciate her more as an artist than ever before. a few months ago, I started listening to her unreleased songs in order, and in that, I got to understand how she wrote better. I feel like her lizzy grant persona was genuine cuz it was mixed with her imagination and her real life experiences, so she had time to make her persona complex. there was a comment I had in this thread where I said how I believed that the producers on BTD created the hip hop infused cinematic sound rather than it being Lana herself (whether this is true or not I don’t know I’m just going off my own assumptions) due to how her unreleased songs sounded and the music the producers worked on before (I remember one worked for a NUMBER of hip hop artists). I think she was presented with this idea and she then leaned into it. but, however, she was leaning into a persona that wasn’t really that familiar to her, so I think the only things she understood about her persona was the relationships “lana” had, and of course, the tragic movie star image she had.

Lana is one of the few artists I know that keep getting plastic surgery yet still look cute as hell...

but seriously I don’t know she keeps doing it. I feel like she’s never satisfied and that makes me ??? bcus she’s gorgeous inside and out

I absolutley think Lana paved the way for certain things, I'll just start off by saying that.

But not every single alternative/'sad girl' artist is copying her. Sure, some are, but I'm honestly sick of basically hearing that Lana created a whole new genre. Not saying she doesn't deserve any credit, we all know she does, but this is just too much (again, I'm the first to praise her lol)

I know this isn't a very 'unpopular' opinion, but it IS an opinion that will get me torn apart anywhere else, so I'm just throwing it out there lol

I absolutley think Lana paved the way for certain things, I'll just start off by saying that.

But not every single alternative/'sad girl' artist is copying her. Sure, some are, but I'm honestly sick of basically hearing that Lana created a whole new genre. Not saying she doesn't deserve any credit, we all know she does, but this is just too much (again, I'm the first to praise her lol)

I know this isn't a very 'unpopular' opinion, but it IS an opinion that will get me torn apart anywhere else, so I'm just throwing it out there lol

True. IMO people are abit biased sometimes

^^

her vocal stylings, her lyrics, her aesthetic, echoed and repurposed in ever corner of music. [she has an AOTY grammy nomination], because she just kept making art. -- Taylor Swift

So I take it people mostly disagree with the first part of what Taylor says (although Taylor might be referring to music videos, both hers and Lanas, a bit), but agree with the second part.

In terms of what kind of influence LDR is supposed to have had: something like -- talented female artist unjustly beaten down by a male and misogynistic critics' community, who nevertheless later rose up by virtue of her art to squash that community -- that's fine. However, for me I'd (somewhat selfishly) rather her eventual influence be more like The Beatles'  (or Bowie's) influence, because that's the kind of music artist I miss the most.

^^

her vocal stylings, her lyrics, her aesthetic, echoed and repurposed in ever corner of music. [she has an AOTY grammy nomination], because she just kept making art. -- Taylor Swift

So I take it people mostly disagree with the first part of what Taylor says (although Taylor might be referring to music videos, both hers and Lanas, a bit), but agree with the second part.

In terms of what kind of influence LDR is supposed to have had: something like -- talented female artist unjustly beaten down by a male and misogynistic critics' community, who nevertheless later rose up by virtue of her art to squash that community -- that's fine. However, for me I'd (somewhat selfishly) rather her eventual influence be more like The Beatles' (or Bowie's) influence, because that's the kind of music artist I miss the most.

To me her BTD aesthetic was very Amy but mostly Priscilla Presley.. kinda still Priscilla to this day

To me her BTD aesthetic was very Amy but mostly Priscilla Presley.. kinda still Priscilla to this day

Both Adele and LDR have cited Amy Winehouse as a really important precursor/inspiration for their craft. Priscilla Presley I don't think had a music career per se, but LDR might have based some of her look on her.  I guess what I'm trying to say in my post above is that her influence is unbounded until we know the end of her career. I mean if LDR were to unsuppress the AKA album and have a couple of unreleased/leaked volumes (just because of the quality of the material there) and THEN went on to produce more new albums as diverse and good as what she's already released, that kind of diversity/prolificness/quality is very rare. I mean Fiona Apple and Kate Bush might be (at least) as good as her artistically for what they did, but not on the prolificness dimension. Joni Mitchell had more diversity and prolificness, but her career is now over (last release 2007). If you're going to hope for an "influence" for somebody you stan for, you might as well hope big.

Doin Time is an annoying song with incel/blackpill tier lyrics and I wish Lana had not covered it (or at least kept it far away from NFR). The video is fun and imaginative though! I'm also not gonna deny that she did her best with Doin Time, it's just that I hate the song itself.

On the other hand, Some Things Last A Long Time is my fave Lana Cover (except for Heart-Shaped Box, I wish we had a studio recording!). It's a beautiful song and fits Lana perfectly. I always cry whenever I listen to it (no matter if it's the original version or Lana's). I'm glad that the cover happened.

I have been out of touch with the fandom, so forgive me if those somehow are popular opinions

i am nothing and should be everything