Rafael

Lana Del Rey Covers Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel No. 2"

Okay I saw this thread title awhile ago and I was like, "Great, more pictures of her leaving a damn hotel people are going to overanalyze the shit out of" and then I saw it on tumblr and oH MY GOD I AM PUNCHING MYSELF FOR NOT FINDING THIS A DAY SOONER. 

sort of ~

Okay I saw this thread title awhile ago and I was like, "Great, more pictures of her leaving a damn hotel people are going to overanalyze the shit out of" and then I saw it on tumblr and oH MY GOD I AM PUNCHING MYSELF FOR NOT FINDING THIS A DAY SOONER. 

:hillary: Title changed.

u silly billy  :sideeye:

tumblr_moza5y59Ri1r09ldbo1_400.png ~ataraxia~

Yes, please.

I love her voice with subtler arrangements. I've always felt all the Emile Haynie sample bullshit distracted quite a bit from just how lovely her voice is.

Yes, Lizzy performed a cover at a Leonard Cohen tribute night at Mr. Dennehy's Underground on November 5, 2008. I contacted the person who organized it and he told me she did a solo cover of "Dance Me to the End of Love":

SdkAb.png

He gave the impression that was the only song she covered, but didn't explicitly say so, so I'll ask.

My response

A+ response, evil! 

i signed up just to comment...here's what i wrote: http://junkee.com/lana-del-rey-covers-leonard-cohen-cue-outrage/3636#comment-845276047

super research, btw...i would love to hear her cover of "dance me to the end of love"! :defeated:  i'm sure someone somewhere has it recorded. may they have a generous heart and one day share it with the world.

i've said before that i think after "dreamland" - or whatever her new album will be called - lana should release a covers album, a la cat power. i know for sure it would be amazing and top-notch, because she conveys such love for the art she admires and is inspired by. i want a jeff buckley song on that album - and her little (the zombies) "time of the season" bit left me dying for a complete version! she really interpets the feeling of the original material and makes it her own (skeeter davis's "the end of the world" is a heartfelt - and heartbreaking - example). anyway, love this musical surprise she regaled us with ♥

Have u guys ever seen this? I love her choices, her singing i'm on fire would b like crack 2 me tbh  :flutter:  :flutter:

http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2012/11/13/lana-del-ray-theft-of-the-dial

Even has an interview I've never heard 

She said of Sinatra's "It was a very good year" - "It's the only cover we do, me and my band, besides an Elvis song." This was after doing Heart-shaped Box so idk what she's talking about lol, maybe recordings?

PS Ednafrau she said if anyone she meets listens to Jeff Buckley, it's how she knows she's found a soul mate.  ^_^  

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Have u guys ever seen this? I love her choices, her singing i'm on fire would b like crack 2 me tbh  :flutter:  :flutter:

She said of Sinatra's "It was a very good year" - "It's the only cover we do, me and my band, besides an Elvis song." This was after doing Heart-shaped Box so idk what she's talking about lol, maybe recordings?

PS Ednafrau she said if anyone she meets listens to Jeff Buckley, it's how she knows she's found a soul mate.  ^_^  

This is new to me. Nice find, Tee Pee Dee. Dang, you got The Boss and The Doors, and edna got a JB song with some hefty praise. Why u no play a BB song 4 Moni, Lana, and make me swoon 2? 

God, It Was A Very Good Year is such a fucking monster of a song and arrangement, it almost makes me sweat. Or cry. Or jump out a window. Or rejoice. And i don’t even like Sinatra. 

I wonder what that vision is for a record that she says would take a while to create. That sounds so intriguing. I wish she was as in control of her music as she seems to be of her videos. That’s what i want. I’m really curious what that would lead to. When she was describing each producers’ role and she got to Emile Haynie, i just laughed: “He kind of finishes up each track...” Yeah, he does, Lana, he sure does. Skip that step in the future, k? 

I’m with her on Cola being the coolest song on the record  :brows:

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

wonderful find, TPD! :legend: i can't listen to it now but i already love her choice of songs...and i'm floored she said that about JB: i used to say the same thing! :O and, in fact, the second person i met that loved jeff buckley was indeed my soulmate and we've been together for more than 10 years ♥ (the first one, who was a fan and actually saw jeff live in paris, which i took as a sign, was just an intense fling that tore my heart out but paved the way, just a few months later, for the real thing! life and its strange ways... :twirls: )