sweetlana

Lana Del Rey Interviewed By Electronics Beats Magazine

My main point is, I feel like if you have a degree in something, you should be able to talk about it. If she spent four whole years studying philosophy, I feel like she should be able to better articulate its ideas and seem aware/passionate/interested in questions regarding it. Her quotes about religion/philosophy seem underdeveloped at best and immature and misunderstanding at worst. She seems to fumble in talking about the topics  that supposedly influenced her growing up and music so much--nihilism, hedonism, free will, spirituality, fate--which should be very intimate and familiar to her. Remember that cringe-worthy interview where she defined metaphysics as "mathematically proving the reality of god"?? Maybe she was too high on ~methamphetamines~ through college to pay attention to the thing she was majoring in.

I don't think Lana ever actually graduated. I mean, the fact that she consistently flubs and gives nonanswers when talking about philosophy/metaphysics (remember that interview when she was explicitly asked about metaphysics and couldn't give a legitimate answer?), the "mathematically proving reality of God" answer was horribly ignorant, and she CONSISTENTLY says that she went to school to study metaphysics... red flags galore. She claimed she graduated via correspondence which I highly doubt (i have a hard time believing she got all her professors to give her preferential treatment given the notoriously strict protocol of academic institutions)... I do however think that her interest in philosophy is genuine. It's hard to excuse all this because she's incredibly articulate otherwise...

The entire thing annoys me because I have the utmost respect for academia and lying about academic credentials is in my eyes, a really shitty thing to do. I think I'm the only one that's bothered by it on the forum :P

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

I really don't get the hate towards this interview.  I found it to be one of her most insightful, and honest.  Is it the Americans amongst you that are reacting?  She is not hating the USA, just not being overly patriotic!  If there's one thing that makes the rest of the world sick in its mouth a little, is the over-zealous patriotism of the USA.  She clearly recognises that being out of the country so much.  Fair comment in my eyes.

Honestly, I never expected this interview would cause such a strong reaction. I haven't read all pages of this thread, so I apologise in advance if I say something that has been stated before. Please don't feel offended or personally addressed when I indirectly quote any of you... it's just kind of inspired my train of thought.

To me, it seemed like she really needed to get some things off her chest. Although the interviewer didn't ask her any provocative and insensitive questions, I got the impression that she felt the need to set the record straight on some things. I have read some opinions on here saying that she's obviously lying or telling half-truths but personally, I don't think that's the case. I think she has been very open in this interview and seemed genuinely interested in being understood. I have seen people say that she denying things that have been proven to be right. Is that really the case? Because I don't think so. Nothing is really cleared up about her past. There's a cluster of tiny bits of information from here and there that us fans and the media have tried to put together, but who besides Lana herself knows if that is 100% accurate (nice keyword, coming to this a paragraph later)?

I feel like she's constantly struggling to define her public image. @@Monicker and @ discussed her apparent "personality disorder" and I agree that she seems quite bipolar at times. In opposite to journalists claiming that she's well in charge and extremely controlling of everything, I believe that she is very insecure and extremely overwhelmed with the challenge of being a celebrity figure. I see Lana Del Rey, the enigmatic and beautiful artist, Lana Del Rey, the good-hearted and loving person that's all sweet with her fans [insert infamous laugh here], Lana Del Rey, the shy and modest private person, and then I see a few other fragments here and there. I am totally unable to put all the pieces together. I sometimes get the impression that she is just as lost like we are when it comes to her, and that she therefore tries to carve her past, her present and future into the oh-so dramatic "work of art." 

All those contradictions in interviews, be it print, audio or video, kind of reflect that struggle of hers, and I am pretty sure that she's far away from coming to terms with herself. I am convinced that all those inaccuracies and thereby emerging misconceptions/interpretations (mine's probably just as wrong here) do eat her up and pretty much force her to constantly change details about things she's already talked about. Do I even make sense at this point? So, I see why many people get upset over this interview.

I think this interview marks a turning point of her. That, however, remains to be seen... All these assumptions and speculations on my part are obviously based on my understanding of the interview. I just got home from today's Pragmatics course (part of English Linguistics, which I study) so I was in the mood for a little pragmatical conversation analysis. Fair enough, but I'd have to see a taping of this interview, or at least hear a recording of it, in order to be able to judge properly. 

Wow, I feel like I trained my Pragmatics muscle... final exams, here I come!

People should not over analyze each and every sentence and words especially when it comes to Lana. What I learnt from being a fan of her is that she is inconsistant, she answers with her favorite recycled answer so the interviewers will skip to another questions and end the interview as fast as she can, she changes her mind like she changes her nail polish and she's a very secretive person.

I'm pretty sure what she said out loud wasn't necessarily what she meant because she doesn't develop her answers. She cuts her answers in the middle of her thread of mind because she's afraid of saying too much.

And then again she'll feel that nobody gets her and that it's her against the world. It's Lana get used to it peeps.

up45I.gif

I think that while we try to "rationalize" the behaviour in this interview with "personality disorders", an inability to take criticism/adjust to fame properly,  she's human and just had an "off" day, etc, none of those rationalizations excuse her shitty attitude. They may explain, but they don't excuse it. 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

I just want to clarify something about my first post in this thread. When i said that i’ve wondered if she has a personalty disorder, that’s where it ends--i’ve only wondered. There’s a big difference between thinking that she does and wondering if she does. It’s only a vague possibility that i’ve entertained based on personal experience, but it would be unfounded, spurious even, to conclude such a thing about someone i don’t even know, a celebrity no less. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Tried and convicted by her own fans. :facepalm:

I think I understand why she feels the need to be so defensive and secretive. 

This.

I'm not a delusional, crazy fan who worships her. I know she has the odd flaw here and then but there's nothing about her that makes me love her any less. I wouldn't go against her for her attitude in one fucking interview. I could say more but I'm sick of seeing this battle between her own fanbase made up of some of her biggest fans. She even said in this interview how she felt about receiving criticism and now look at this thread. 

I don't want to shove my opinion down everyone's throats I just think some people are being disrespectful and a little rude. I can't even think of how to describe it because I didn't expect this reaction. I don't know, I just don't know.  :smh:

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

This.

I'm not a delusional, crazy fan who worships her. I know she has the odd flaw here and then but there's nothing about her that makes me love her any less. I wouldn't go against her for her attitude in one fucking interview. I could say more but I'm sick of seeing this battle between her own fanbase made up of some of her biggest fans. She even said in this interview how she felt about receiving criticism and now look at this thread. 

I don't want to shove my opinion down everyone's throats I just think some people are being disrespectful and a little rude. I can't even think of how to describe it because I didn't expect this reaction. I don't know, I just don't know.  :smh:

:gclap:

This.

i agree. how could they even say she had a shitty attitude when they didn't hear her tone of voice or anything? sometimes i look at her 'fans' and i'm like 'wow, they're more like critics tbh'. 'oh i don't like it when lana's so sensitive but i'll be a bitch anyway', smh. i'm aware of the fact that she has flaws, just like we all do, but i think that some of her 'fans' are very unfair. 

4r9w86.jpg

I know I already replied to this thread, but that was before actually reading other people's two cents. That being said, I am SO incredibly sad to see some of Lana's fans bring her down like this. Yes, this was a more open, less careful interview, but that doesn't mean that she's the horrible person that a few of you are making her out to be. I also think that some people are over-analyzing the comment about her and Barrie appreciating the arts or whatever the direct quote was (I haven't read it since yesterday, but my point remains.) because she never once said that she only listened to obscure music that no one's heard of. Of course she's going to love the classics. If they didn't have special qualities about them, they wouldn't be classics! I think what she was getting at was the fact that maybe her and Barrie GET it ('it' being the art and the music, etc.) a little more because they're both obviously very passionate artists and singer/songwriters. Lana and I could listen to the same song, but she'd probably have a different take on it than I would because I'm not an artist. I guess all I'm trying to say is that I'm upset Lana's fans are acting this way and I don't think she was really being pretentious. 

I know I already replied to this thread, but that was before actually reading other people's two cents. That being said, I am SO incredibly sad to see some of Lana's fans bring her down like this. Yes, this was a more open, less careful interview, but that doesn't mean that she's the horrible person that a few of you are making her out to be. I also think that some people are over-analyzing the comment about her and Barrie appreciating the arts or whatever the direct quote was (I haven't read it since yesterday, but my point remains.) because she never once said that she only listened to obscure music that no one's heard of. Of course she's going to love the classics. If they didn't have special qualities about them, they wouldn't be classics! I think what she was getting at was the fact that maybe her and Barrie GET it ('it' being the art and the music, etc.) a little more because they're both obviously very passionate artists and singer/songwriters. Lana and I could listen to the same song, but she'd probably have a different take on it than I would because I'm not an artist. I guess all I'm trying to say is that I'm upset Lana's fans are acting this way and I don't think she was really being pretentious. 

she probably means that barrie is her artistic soulmate, that they're on the same wavelength. my mum always says that she's my dad's intellectual soulmate, does that mean that she thinks no one else is clever? no. people always take what lana says out of context entirely. 

4r9w86.jpg

she probably means that barrie is her artistic soulmate, that they're on the same wavelength. my mum always says that she's my dad's intellectual soulmate, does that mean that she thinks no one else is clever? no. people always take what lana says out of context entirely. 

yep, but u know people read what they want to read.

Yes, exactly.

I mean, I've seen that there's some of Lana's most dedicated fans criticizing her and of course, being a 'good' fan is all about being dedicated but it doesn't all consist of knowing the most about her past or having the most songs and what not. I'm not directing this to anyone personally, I don't want to bring any of that shit into this but to me, one of the biggest factors of being a fan is being supportive and sticking up for the artist. I'm not trying to say any of you are going to make her life a misery because she's not going to see this, this hasn't changed the world significantly but it gets to a point when you can go a little bit too far. 

Maybe I'm being over-dramatic, in fact, yes I am but I'm by no means the only one.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

Yes, exactly.

I mean, I've seen that there's some of Lana's most dedicated fans criticizing her and of course, being a 'good' fan is all about being dedicated but it doesn't all consist of knowing the most about her past or having the most songs and what not. I'm not directing this to anyone personally, I don't want to bring any of that shit into this but to me, one of the biggest factors of being a fan is being supportive and sticking up for the artist. I'm not trying to say any of you are going to make her life a misery because she's not going to see this, this hasn't changed the world significantly but it gets to a point when you can go a little bit too far. 

Maybe I'm being over-dramatic, in fact, yes I am but I'm by no means the only one.

exactly. 

sorry, i felt the need to put it on bold there, because i agree with you so much. lana doesn't give a fuck about how many unreleased songs you have, i think if she knew that somebody was sticking up for her, she'd appreciate that a lot more. i probably sound like one of those annoying wannabe hardcore fans, but idk it just irks me when people make bad assumptions when people really haven't done anything wrong. nothing she said in this interview was remotely out of order or unkind. 

4r9w86.jpg

you shouldn't get so sad and/or upset -- the reason we are all here is because we feel connected to her in some way, and to some varying degree. there's a strong emotional investment in her. while i wouldn't say that she's a friend (because there is a difference between being a stalker and a psycho), i will say that i when i -do- have a (real, physical) friend, i put an emotional investment in that person. so if we hear (or read) something from that person that we disagree with, well, its ok to disagree. i fight with my friends every now and then. the worst or most dangerous kinds of relationships are the ones where you can't tell the other person to go fuck their own ass and die. constant harmony is not possible or recommended. but again, i'm a bit of a cynic

just because you disagree with someone or your perspective on that person gets shifted in a different direction doesn't mean your feelings for them necessarily have to change. since she's still a celebrity, and really, more of a distant entity in our lives, we're probably even less likely to allow negative opinions to influence our overall feelings. because no matter what she says none of it really changes the music. and i'm pretty sure she's got some fans for life. but music isn't the only aspect i adore. i think i love her. like, really. capital letters, hand-signing, hue-changing L-O-V-E. so as a result, i'm gonna call her a bitch when she's being a bitch. but whatever, she can say or do what she wants to fucking say or do. i don't really care, but it doesn't mean i won't have an opinion about it. interviews will always offer another glance into her as a person (whether intentional or not). and i'm not gonna lie, i'm very interested in her as a person. everyone here is, no? 

i don't think anyone here is making her out to be a horrible person. a child, maybe. but part of me thinks that no one ever really grows up, as a result of everyone still being controlled by their emotions (whether they realize it or not) ... anyway, she's just a fucking spaz NBD KK

ZRBNill.jpg