Sitar

Lana Del Rey Officially Announces TROPICO, "Coming to a City Near You"

I think it's unrealistic to expect that a 30 minute long form music video to play throughout the country. I think this will be like Ride in a way which was shown in Los Angeles in a theater. Premiere in NYC and Los Angeles and see the video on youtube. 

I love the latest poster and her image like the Virgin Mary. Pretty cool. The video playing in the background for Body Electric at her Chicago shows was heavy in Roman Catholic imagery.

I don't know what to make about her farewell comment in her tweet. 

At Lollapalooza she told us she was coming here for the Chicago premiere.

Either she mixed up the cities or that'll be announced later on.

Probably the former...right guys?

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

so .. cemetery? does that mean .. halloween? october? lanapls

:rip:   :rip:   :rip:

so .. after reading stuff like this,

http://mubi.com/topics/lana-del-rey-auteur

where people are already considering her to be an 'auteur' .. and having literally just read the latest V interview right before that .. where gaga says she wants to be an 'icon' in all realms or whatever; i.e in the art / film / aesthetic world.. made me wonder how gaga feels about lana? if the tables have turned lel-,',', i mean.. don't get me wrong i really like her. sometimes. but i dunno, i think lana + gaga are more comparable than gaga + katy + etc? they're more 'creative' types but with lana it seems .. more personal? not as overtly theatric? but i guess we'll see how tropico turns out.. *need $$ 4meth* is kind of theatric now that i think about it. but has gaga ever mentioned lana anywhere? i really wonder how she feels about her. especially after being called a fucking man lmao *i still literally wheeze when i hear / think about that line sometimes 

that whole twitter thing really surprised me. i don't follow her on there or anything but is she usually so.. angry / public about it? i don't follow her on twitter or anything but i just thought it was strange / out of character. or at least from what i sensed from her? i'm a fan but not a monster and i don't understand her and pigrez' history or anything.. too lazy to go through all her tweets. i would be rly pissed if i were her.. after being told i suk by someone who i also am competing with in the industry and probably / secretly draw the occasional inspiration from. i wish she would angry tweet lana lmao that would be so funny. what would lana do? omg WWLD? (not so subtlety) allude to suicide or something i'm sure 

anyway i thought that was an interesting discussion about lana from a different perspective than i've read about her anywhere else. and its film related .. can't wait to read objective critical reviews of this. i'm sure i'm gonna find a way to love it somehow but wonder how its gonna be accepted / unaccepted by the public .. especially since she's like, kind of huge now 

ZRBNill.jpg

so .. cemetery? does that mean .. halloween? october? lanapls

:rip:   :rip:   :rip:

so .. after reading stuff like this,

where people are already considering her to be an 'auteur' .. and having literally just read the latest V interview right before that .. where gaga says she wants to be an 'icon' in all realms or whatever; i.e in the art / film / aesthetic world.. made me wonder how gaga feels about lana? if the tables have turned lel-,',', i mean.. don't get me wrong i really like her. sometimes. but i dunno, i think lana + gaga are more comparable than gaga + katy + etc? they're more 'creative' types but with lana it seems .. more personal? not as overtly theatric? but i guess we'll see how tropico turns out.. *need $$ 4meth* is kind of theatric now that i think about it. but has gaga ever mentioned lana anywhere? i really wonder how she feels about her. especially after being called a fucking man lmao *i still literally wheeze when i hear / think about that line sometimes 

that whole twitter thing really surprised me. i don't follow her on there or anything but is she usually so.. angry / public about it? i don't follow her on twitter or anything but i just thought it was strange / out of character. or at least from what i sensed from her? i'm a fan but not a monster and i don't understand her and pigrez' history or anything.. too lazy to go through all her tweets. i would be rly pissed if i were her.. after being told i suk by someone who i also am competing with in the industry and probably / secretly draw the occasional inspiration from. i wish she would angry tweet lana lmao that would be so funny. what would lana do? omg WWLD? (not so subtlety) allude to suicide or something i'm sure 

anyway i thought that was an interesting discussion about lana from a different perspective than i've read about her anywhere else. and its film related .. can't wait to read objective critical reviews of this. i'm sure i'm gonna find a way to love it somehow but wonder how its gonna be accepted / unaccepted by the public .. especially since she's like, kind of huge now 

oh my god, he's so melodramatic.

"Satan pulling her under with him minutes after fingerfucking her mouth."

"showcasing a historical retelling that rivals Tarantino’s history-swapping events in Inglourious Basterds."

etc.

i'm happy for any positive press lana gets but  :biblio: 

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

oh my god, he's so melodramatic.

"Satan pulling her under with him minutes after fingerfucking her mouth."

"showcasing a historical retelling that rivals Tarantino’s history-swapping events in Inglourious Basterds."

etc.

i'm happy for any positive press lana gets but  :biblio: 

Seriously, that was equal parts interesting & cringeworthy. Like, take it down a notch...

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

when i said interesting, i was kind of referring to the entire discussion (its a forum, not a blog); theres praise but its tempered w/ valid criticisms 

well, i hope they end up discussing tropico .. its a different perspective, maybe a bit cringey but lana makes me cringe all the time lmao 

I’ve watched plenty of interviews with Lana and from my own (yes, subjective obvously) perception, she isn’t a complex character. Her music has this surface. "I’m a bad rich girl with a rich daddy and I was an alcoholic and I like living in America and I like bad men, I’m co-dependent and I like ‘leather on my waisties’. That may be performance. But surely isn’t Nicki Minaj exactly the same? ’I’m a rich bad bitch who likes pink wigs and I use my body as a weapon and am ridiculously feminine in music videos and my father was an alcoholic’. Nobody would create a forum thread for Minaj on MUBI but because Lana Del Rey’s music is sad she is a ‘auteur’? Come on, let’s face it. There really isn’t much difference between Lana’s music and other artists like Rihanna. Lana’s is sadder and more interesting. But where do I see a thread for “RIHANNA: AUTEUR” on here? But any of those artists could be argued to be auteurs if Lana could too.

the fact that there are so many britney / gaga / katy stans here too (myself included) made me wonder if theres a bit of truth to this? are they really comparable in the pop world? i don't really think so… but then i put hit & run on blast and push myself back to square one 

Glimmering darling
White bikini off with my red nail polish
Watch me in the swimming pool
Bright blue ripples, you
Sitting sipping on your black Cristal, yeah”

That is not assigning some kind of creative look at superficiality in pop music.

i think it is exactly that. notice how relentlessly she describes herself as something that is passively watched and presumably desired, and who herself desires nothing but the gaze of desire. (**ow**) i’m not a lana del rey fan. i don’t like most of the music nor do i care much about the persona, but i find her play with identity, desire and consumption fascinating. she takes the women in david lynch’s films as a clear inspiration, and like them, assumes an abject sort of helplessness that is both traditionally “alluring” and profoundly creepy. everything about her art supports this: the imagery, the styling, the delivery, the nostalgic arrangements and reverb-drenched production. she makes a feminst point ironically, by exaggerating her helplessness, girlishness and object-hood."

i think its also interesting that on that forum, the fans are the ones throwing shade and the ones that aren't even fans are the ones supporting her? kind of backwards and unusual

maybe i could have posted parts of it in the feminism thread or started a new thread w/ all the good bits. i dunno, forum was kind of dead yesterday.. thought this would be an interesting discussion to bring over but i guess i was alone in that so brb gonna cut myself lol 

ZRBNill.jpg

when i said interesting, i was kind of referring to the entire discussion (its a forum, not a blog); theres praise but its tempered w/ valid criticisms 

well, i hope they talk about tropico .. its a different perspective, maybe a bit cringey but lana makes me cringe all the time lmao 

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it, and some of the comments really were very interesting. And the guy did have some valid points, but at times it was difficult to take him seriously because of his fanboyish attitude...

And I totally agree with you re: Lana saying/doing cringey stuff all the time. :lel:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

but at times it was difficult to take him seriously because of his fanboyish attitude...

:eek:

its funny that you should say this as i start to pull myself back and wonder if i'm being ridiculous or if the way i feel about lana is really.. actually warranted, in an objective sense? IS she really as good as i think she is? am i turning into a body electrician? does objectivism actually exist? i have this idea of her as being an actual genius and i don't know if its true. for instance, we all praise the ride video as being a fucking masterpiece .. but i wonder how much of it was her own version, and how much of it was anthony mandler's? is her work really, actually meaningful in its intent? or is it only meaningful in our own personal assessments? i'm getting dangerously close to entering that infinite loop of "what is art"? but i'm just wondering if maybe we are a bit blinded by the visuals and/or our affections for her as a person, or as an 'artist'? tropico is kind of a huge venture outside of her usual realm now that i think about it .. i hope it only solidifies my opinion of her as a 'genius' 

ZRBNill.jpg

I just found out I'm visiting LA, but I can come anytime I want, so hopefully we find out the date soon and I can visit when the premiere Is on and try and go. Anyone mind telling me how to go about going to a premiere in LA please.

qsVmBMd.png

I read somewhere that the 'Farewell Project' was a reference to a Whitman poem called 'Farewell'. Any truth to this? Thoughts?

I also read this, and as far as I'm aware there's no Whitman poem called 'Farewell'. There is however one called 'Good-bye my fancy' which has the line 'farewell dear mate, dear love'; it's the last poem in Leaves of Grass and in it he basically says goodbye to his imagination or inspiration. Someone said to me that this poem is also known as 'Farewell'; no idea if that's true or not.

But imo her 'farewell' definitely has a similar meaning -- closure of an era / project, saying goodbye to BTD/Paradise and its whole underlying concept.

its funny that you should say this as i start to pull myself back and wonder if i'm being ridiculous or if the way i feel about lana is really.. actually warranted, in an objective sense? IS she really as good as i think she is? am i turning into a body electrician? does objectivism actually exist? i have this idea of her as being an actual genius and i don't know if its true. for instance, we all praise the ride video as being a fucking masterpiece .. but i wonder how much of it was her own version, and how much of it was anthony mandler's? is her work really, actually meaningful in its intent? or is it only meaningful in our own personal assessments? i'm getting dangerously close to entering that infinite loop of "what is art"? but i'm just wondering if maybe we are a bit blinded by the visuals and/or our affections for her as a person, or as an 'artist'? tropico is kind of a huge venture outside of her usual realm now that i think about it .. i hope it only solidifies my opinion of her as a 'genius' 

I nodded along through the whole read so I guess I'm melodramatic/over the edge :eek:

Well, when she was asked endlessly about the creation of the VG video, she always said that she was guided by her instincts, and just put in whatever she considered beautiful. She still put thought into it, like how the Chateou inspired the color scheme of the whole video.

On the other side, it seems like she does have her own genius ideas, like how the random noises at the end of Bel Air are supposed to be playground noises symbolizing the regaining of innocence, as she said in some interview.

I do think most of the ideas are hers, she said that Anthony really gets her and together they can bring her vision to life, so I do think that Lana meant to put meaning behind those pretty pictures and that much of the video came from her ideas. I wondered about her involvement too, but with the Blue Velvet video. Like, did she come up with all of those references and everything, or did someone else plan it and she just showed up?

So in conclusion, I think there is intent behind the things she does, but it's really personal and so her that it might be hard to understand for those who don't know her that well.