evilentity

Nightmare Boy (Barrie-James O'Neill)

Last night TIDAL premiered Barrie's short film SCUMBaG. For those not on TIDAL you can watch it here: 

Songs: 'Mary', 'I See Her Smiling', 'Way Over My Head', 'Art of Resurrection', 'Magic Me'

Anybody rip this before it got taken down?

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Any idea when Tidal releases its clutches on this (youtube is now blocked)? Wish he'd just release his album so I could buy it, I'm here for Barrie (not for tidal).

Anybody rip this before it got taken down?

I guess they will fix this soon? I downloaded it in HD i will put it on dropbox and post the link here.

www.insidemyintrovertmind.blogspot.gr

Thanks, the vimeo worked fine (and I hope it lasts).

Great *performance* music video with interesting visual montages of NB (or is it BJO?) wandering around looking mopey between songs. However, the musical noodling BJO does (mostly on prepared/processed piano), while he sulks,  makes it very pleasurable. It was also interesting to see just how comfortable he looked/sounded behind the piano. I really hope "I See Her Smiling", which has an unexpected appearance here, makes it to his record. Art of Resurrection (the one guitar song) seemed strong (don't want to overplay before the record) and definitely has a Barrie-style, which I'm beginning to appreciate more. Magic Me seems like a fragment and not a full song (or is it just a very short song?). It was kind of a curious (potentially optimistic?) way to end things, regardless of the pessimistic suggestions implied by the traffic signs at the close of the video. 

For literary nerds only:

The Edgar A. Poe (single-line) quote at the very end was interesting, if in case you are wondering whether or not Barrie is a habitual depressive. I'll share the background I found on it.

It happens to be the top-liked quote at: 

It is also apparently a quote from a personal correspondance, not a story!

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity." -- Edgar Allan Poe, letter to an admirer.

Finally there's an actual context to this quote that relates to the death of EAP's wife, which was protracted. It was not so much her dying (eventually) that took its toll on Poe, but the time it took her die over the course of the illness (some kind of enurism). 

quote context starting at 3rd para (The year 1841...):

the quote itself on next page:

I wonder if Barrie likes the work of Thomas Ligotti, who is a U.S. horror writer (short-fiction), who has something of a philosophical perspective/aesthetic that may relate to the Poe quote. Ligotti is also sometimes compared to Poe. 

Since I really liked 'SCUMBag' I made an EP with all the 5 songs he sang, for people who are interested:

4wksFkI.jpg

SCUMBaG (Short Movie) - EP:

01. Mary

02. I See Her Smiling

03. Way Over My Head

04. Art Of Resurrection

05. Magic Me

Download

I know the cover art is ugly but see it as some kind of placeholder.

Can someone send me Par^noid in high quality?; I'm in the US and only Mary is on itunes.

I bought his EP in early April and I'm actually so surprised at how much I listen/love it. I was kinda on and off with him since Mary but the EP completely won me over.

drWGhHU.png

And also what are these? Can someone send them to me?

I wonder when we're getting Hate part 2.

Can someone send me Par^noid in high quality?; I'm in the US and only Mary is on itunes.

I bought his EP in early April and I'm actually so surprised at how much I listen/love it. I was kinda on and off with him since Mary but the EP completely won me over.

And also what are these? Can someone send them to me?

I wonder when we're getting Hate part 2.

That post from 2013 you quoted is 'Paranoid', an album by the band Black Sabbath (godfathers of Metal), Barrie covered the title track 'Paranoid' from it but the rest of the album is just the band Black Sabbath (got nothing to do with Barrie). + I'm also still searching for a high quality download for Par^noid ugh.

Barrie said a few days ago on Periscope that he wants to release Riverside but the record label won't let him. I don't see why his label wouldn't want it out so i guess the problem comes from Lana's side. Maybe this is related to the angry post he made a few months ago about the men in black suits that talk about music.

Also Barrie will be back at Hotel Cafe August 4 at 7 p.m. tickets on their site

Unfortunately no record label has shown any interest in Cold Coffee. Barrie is really sad about this. He is really proud of this album. Today he said on Periscope that he quits music. He said he has no inspiration lately but he will not stop writing songs. He will stop playing live. I really hope this is not a final decision. Also he said that he has a lot of songs and short movies and weird videos that are unreleased. And he played Riverside live on his guitar. He said that he wrote it 2,5 years ago and the original version was without Lana. Then he recorded it with Lana and now he can't release the song. He said he don't think it will ever be released and it is not his fault..

Unfortunately no record label has shown any interest in Cold Coffee. 

Just on the basis of what you said, I'm taking "no label interest" to mean "dissatisfied with the current deal and holding out for a better one".  At least, I'm skeptical of another interpretation, given the lack of details, and given the fact of an EP release. As far as Riverside goes, it was never required for the LP, though he did release the lyrics for it a while back and they seemed pretty unlikely to piss anybody off. Now some have heard the song (same lyrics?), though not me, because Periscope is an intentionally temporary promotion service (and that aspect of it sucks, imo), but I do wonder what people, who have heard the song, think of it. 

Just on the basis of what you said, I'm taking "no label interest" to mean "dissatisfied with the current deal and holding out for a better one".  At least, I'm skeptical of another interpretation, given the lack of details, and given the fact of an EP release. As far as Riverside goes, it was never required for the LP, though he did release the lyrics for it a while back and they seemed pretty unlikely to piss anybody off. Now some have heard the song (same lyrics?), though not me, because Periscope is an intentionally temporary promotion service (and that aspect of it sucks, imo), but I do wonder what people, who have heard the song, think of it.

The song was very beautiful. His voice was so soft and the melody so sweet. It's a pity. I asked him why he won't go indie and release his album by himself on itunes and said that record companies give you money to promote your stuff and a bigger audience will hear you ao he is waiting for a record deal. Also about the money i asked if he considered swlling some merch and he said yes he did for a while but then periscope was stuck so i didn't hear the full answer. Barrie is currently in Scotland. He cancelled a show he had for the 25th and left in a rush to go home. He must be in a sad mood. I hope he will be back soon