lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

I always play from the first song, however....i skip the singles i've heard so i can hear the new stuff, but i play it in order. Once i play the album once all the way through, then i play it again not skipping singles.

I can't sit through 5 minutes of Shades of Cool when i've heard it 14 times knowing theres 10 songs after it i've never heard lol.

This! Lol... I'll definitely skip SoC :lmao:  

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

I'll listen to it whenever it leaks, but I always listen to an album for the first time in order, without skipping any songs/singles. I like to hear the singles within the context of the album, I feel like I get the complete experience that way.  :creep:

I think this album, like the sound (so far) -- late 60s/early 70s (with nods to the 50s a la Phil Spector), was done very old school.  Like the recent Dan Auerbach interview said, she recorded it nearly in a week or two with a session band.  This was the norm for the era she seems to draw from the most -- Dylan, Cohen, Morrison, Joplin, etc.  That's how they all did it.  If you fucked up or weren't satisfied, well tough titties.  Fix it up in production if you can otherwise, take the best comp you can.  That kind of died out with ProTools/Cubase/Ableton/Logic that everyone uses now.  It'd be interesting to hear about the recording process more.  It seems Dan Auerbach would be into analog techniques, so she might record straight to reel.  Anyway, I think we have to take that into consideration.  This style lends to the vocals being lower in the mix too.  I think the label is releasing these mixes with the vocals boosted to make it a bit more radio friendly.  I think, even if this album flops commercially (and judging so far, it won't), she will get some more respect out of people who considered her not so legit before.

So far so good.  She's not blowing my mind that much with the lyrics (but she's keeping with the stuff I think we all like her for and not being too dumb so far) but the music is a definite risk.  I respect that and it's hell of a lot more interesting that what similar pop stars have decided to do.  Honestly, if she couldn't get a big name like Dan Auerbach to do this kind of music, I think the label would have shut her down.  The Black Keys are one of the few big rock acts right now in a largely R&B/hip hop-dominated pop scene.

The last para about the label "shutting her down" if she hadn't gotten Auerbach suggests the label might have been unhappy with the original UV tracks, but the way she describes it is that she thought she was done, met Auerbach, and reconsidered the majority of the tracks. In fact West Coast wasn't even considered for the album and ended up being the lead single, which implies Auerbach saved that one.
A bloggers translation of the German Interview can be found from this @@lanasgirl 's post:

This seems like a legit demo version of West Coast, and I can sort of see LDR's point about lacking fire.

But there's also this quote from Auerbach:
from the Rolling Stone piece:

<<Auerbach admits he didn't have to do much to the songs: "Her demos were so good, her songs were so strong that I wanted to get my musicians in who I love and get my sound that I get here with her songs and that's it. I didn't want to mess it up. She sang live with a seven-piece band. That's the whole record – a seven-piece band with her singing live. It was crazy.">>>

I get the feeling that early on Auerbach considered it like a job-interview for her next album, but then it just turned into a re-rendering of what she was planning to release. So what I basically get her and Auerbach doing is using the demos as sketches and considering the finished album as a "live" type album worked up from the (more studio-like) sketches w/o the live venue. As many have suggested, I hope we see the studio/demo sketches at some point. 

Yeah, the vocals are going to be differently mixed, but I don't hear them as being much better or worse than previous releases.

This seems like a legit demo version of West Coast, and I can sort of see LDR's point about lacking fire.

Sounds like the radiio edit to me ? I thought the Rick Nowels Version was the Demo-Version. Im confused.

Is there a link to the Rick Nowles version of West Coast? I guess it could be a radio edit (I forgot about that plot twist), but the demo fits the description of what LDR talks about (in @@lanasgirl 's translation of the German interview at her blog), so I took it to be an example of what the studio sketches sound like in comparison to the Auerbach sessions. I've also been confused about the multiple versionings.

quote from @@lanasgirl translation:

"Rick Nowles is something like my best friend, talking about music. He’s very precise and I like to improvise. When he plays some chords, I can sing freestyle to that for twenty minutes. He’s always surprised how a song is created like that. At first I couldn’t really become friends with “West Coast”. To me, the song was too structured. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus. Very traditional. Actually, the song wasn’t intended to be on the album, but Dan Auerbach got his teeth into it. The band in Nashville listened to the New Yorker demo version for three times and then just started. The chords didn’t change but there came fire, into the song. I wanted this fire."

What I usually do is before an album leaks I choose 3 I'm going to listen to and then I will save the rest for when it is actually released. I'll probably listen to UV (title track), Brooklyn Baby, Black Beauty and Is This Happiness (if it leaks)

Leaks will come as soon as June 6th, Euro stores may get their store shipments a week early and it has the potential to leak. It really depends on who gets their store shipment first.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Leaks will come as soon as June 6th, Euro stores may get their store shipments a week early and it has the potential to leak. It really depends on who gets their store shipment first.

Omg, you're hope giver  :omfg2:

I hope it's true, 'cause I can't wait anymore... I need it asap  :defeated:

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

The "german version" of UV on Amazon as a mp3 download. AutoRip means, that if you bought the physical cd on Amazon, you get the tracks for free as mp3 download, so you dont have to put them on your pc from the disc.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I don't know if this has been posted, but a snippet of Brooklyn Baby has been posted on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZheggU4WcY&list=UUUXgqmvTvcjjAPbDmW4XmDA

Just because I don't know how to embed videos...

It's not lanas official account and the snippet is the one from the promotional Itunes video ;)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

What I usually do is before an album leaks I choose 3 I'm going to listen to and then I will save the rest for when it is actually released. I'll probably listen to UV (title track), Brooklyn Baby, Black Beauty and Is This Happiness (if it leaks)

As much as I'd like to be able to do this, I need to listen to the album start to finish and ideally without knowing too many of the songs. I'll probably either just give in and listen to the leak (God knows how long it'll take FNAC to ship international) or just listen to Flipside since it's not a part of the main album.

qpgosw.jpg