Lirazel

Music (& stuff) people like that you tried to get into, but can’t

On 6/10/2024 at 4:43 PM, Lanaparadiserey said:

I like a few songs and I’m starting to get into her more but I have no clue why people go INSANE for her. Like she has some cute songs but nothing better than your average up and coming indie pop artist 

it’s not every day one of the artists being talked about the most is an openly queer woman who unashamedly makes music about loving other women- so that’s given her a large fanbase of queer people but especially other queer women. also the way she implements drag into her performances/costumes isn’t seen in mainstream pop often and some people live for that! (me)

(but dont take me too seriously) :daydream:

JANELLE MONAE • WEYES BLOOD • ETHEL CAIN • MITSKI • BOYGENIUS • LUCY DACUS • PHOEBE BRIDGERS • CHAPPELL ROAN • TAYLOR SWIFT • THE LAST DINNER PARTY

On 6/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, ivory almond said:

Chappell roan

On 6/10/2024 at 4:43 PM, Lanaparadiserey said:

I like a few songs and I’m starting to get into her more but I have no clue why people go INSANE for her. Like she has some cute songs but nothing better than your average up and coming indie pop artist 

1 hour ago, poetryinmotion said:

it’s not every day one of the artists being talked about the most is an openly queer woman who unashamedly makes music about loving other women- so that’s given her a large fanbase of queer people but especially other queer women. also the way she implements drag into her performances/costumes isn’t seen in mainstream pop often and some people live for that! (me)

I actually floated into this thread because I was bored just to come and say this.

I'm sure she's talented but Chappell isn't for me. I see the +1 for the lesbians for sure, and the pop music space is LONG overdue for a queer woman in the area getting the attention she's getting, especially when so many gay men have broken through and/or are bubbling under. (NGL I think Chappell is getting the energy/reception that Renee Rapp Stans wanted for her but couldn't manifest)
Aesthetic-wise, I don't really think the costumes or attire or makeup is anything revolutionary though, and the subject matter and content of her songs isn't adding anything new to the discourse for me either. Like the cover art for "Good Luck Babe!" just looks like Annie Lennox from the Walking on Broken Glass MV, we've had stars like Grace Jones and Cher serving us drama since the 70s and 80s, and GaGa was serving us theatrical drag in pop space 15+ years ago.

I think for me it's that I have limited space for music and artists to a degree, and I've already sort of staked my claims on "this artist/band is who I listen to when I'm in ABC mood, that artist/band is who I listen too when I'm in XYZ mood, etc. etc.", and with Chappell, I can't really find a space for her in who and what I already listen too, nor can I identify a specific mood and mindset to associate with her that would make me go to her for listening. A new artist really has to swing it out of the park to a degree to really cement themselves as someone I pick up and stan, otherwise what ends up happening is 1-2 songs from em here or there end up in my playlists, but the support never goes much farther then that.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

Charli XCX and hyperpop in general, it’s just unlistenable to me:shrug:

𝘐'𝘮 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢'𝘴 𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘊𝘩𝘪𝘤, 𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴, 𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘚𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘋𝘪𝘦𝘵 𝘊𝘰𝘬𝘦 𝘚𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬