lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

Can't we all just get along? It's really just a matter of people's opinions and seeing as how we all like the same artist I think it's pointless to fight about whether we like one album over another. Let's all just hold hands and make up! :)

89550-F07-DF2-F-4739-9-AB0-552-DF4549773.jpg

Can't we all just get along? It's really just a matter of people's opinions and seeing as how we all like the same artist I think it's pointless to fight about whether we like one album over another. Let's all just hold hands and make up! :)

HE DOESN'T EVEN GO HERE

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I luv UV! I hope this album brings a slightly older and more mature crowd into the LDR scene. The only people who take her as a serious artist are people aged 15-22...which is really sad.

VyIsfwC.jpg

I luv UV! I hope this album brings in a slightly older and more mature crowd into the LDR scene. The only people who take her as a serious artist are people aged 15-22...which is really sad.

Hey, I do and I'm fourteen!

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

I really like Florida Kilos, even though I'm strictly against drugs. Lana's persona in this song seems as crazy as ever. Very Lizzy Grant.

@@leaked_version, I agree with you wholly on your stance towards UV and this era in general :gclap:

i am nothing and should be everything

Florida Kilos is very overrated, imo it's one of the lowest points (if not the lowest on the album) even tho it's still good just like the rest of the album was amazing

I don't know about that. Florida Kilos barely belongs to the record, that's the problem. I don't compare it to the rest of Ultraviolence. It's just a tiny bonus for fans of upbeat Lana songs.

i am nothing and should be everything

I don't know about that. Florida Kilos barely belongs to the record, that's the problem. I don't compare it to the rest of Ultraviolence. It's just a tiny bonus for fans of upbeat Lana songs.

I like Upbeat Lana songs but FK just sounded messy, still sorta like it 

qqAZ3mU.png

Florida Kilos is very overrated, imo it's one of the lowest points (if not the lowest on the album) even tho it's still good just like the rest of the album was amazing

I totally agree with you. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic song and I love it to pieces, but it just doesn't...fit Ultraviolence. The rest of the album is (mostly) really dark (bar Sad Girl & Fucked My Way (kind of)) but Florida Kilos is so upbeat and positive that it feels like the black sheep of the album. It's a really clever song nonetheless, but I think it would've been better as an unreleased track, replaced by Is This Happiness or Flipside on the deluxe version of the album.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I totally agree with you. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic song and I love it to pieces, but it just doesn't...fit Ultraviolence. The rest of the album is (mostly) really dark (bar Sad Girl & Fucked My Way (kind of)) but Florida Kilos is so upbeat and positive that it feels like the black sheep of the album. It's a really clever song nonetheless, but I think it would've been better as an unreleased track, replaced by Is This Happiness or Flipside on the deluxe version of the album.

I guess ITH is a good Itunes track... :D It's good, but not something "essential" to the album. Flipside is a good "Deluxe Closing Track".

But in the end FK is a Deluxe Track and for some reason Lana doesn't really care for the deluxe tracks on this album, so I think it's ok that it doesn't blend with the rest of the album. In the end, I am very happy we have it, it's a beautiful way more upbeat song and I think a little bit of diversity is a nice thing to have on an album.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Is this the first of #1 version of the album to leak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPIL-4Wc_BM

I've listened a couple of times, and it's definitely not a fan made thing - it's Lana singing, but a different vocal track, and the music's radically different. It's slowly growing on me, anyway.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I've listened a couple of times, and it's definitely not a fan made thing - it's Lana singing, but a different vocal track, and the music's radically different. It's slowly growing on me, anyway.

It's fake.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a favorite song yet :defeated:

It's fake.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a favorite song yet :defeated:

Do you have any evidence? If it was faked, it sounds like it was faked by someone with access to the original master tape.

Well judging by the lack of excitement worldwide, I'll have to assume it's a well made fake, like everything else in this world that looks interesting at first. But in my defence, the vocal track doesn't sound like the filtered acapella, and the music fits it more than most of these things. But there you go - it looks like Juliette Lewis still has this over us.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

It's the same vocal take, just slightly (and badly) edited. The person has made an acapella of Fucked My Way, then added a piano that follows the melody underneath. It's the same process as the 'Summertime Sadness Studio Acoustic' that's floating around on YouTube (albeit the SS one sounds more professionally done).

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Do you have any evidence?

No but

It's the same vocal take, just slightly (and badly) edited. 

The piano track is way out of key with the vocals. It's very fake.

Don't know if anyone care but now that I've listened to the album a lot, I can finally leave my opinions on it properly.

I've definatley warmed up to her working with Dan Auerbach, but I still definatley prefer Rick Nowels producing for her.

I do enjoy both versions of West Coast, but Rick Nowels production is so much better for me, and this is a great example of why I'd rather have her work with him as we can see how the two producers have produced the song differently and Rick's is better for me.

Old Money is my favourite song off the album and Dan Heath produced that, although the other songs he produced for her are not my favourite apart from Yayo, so I'm not too bothered about her working with him for producing her songs.

The Other Woman is another favourite of mine and Dan Auerbach produced that, so it proves for me he can produce the style I like, but I'd prefer it if Lana stuck to working with Rick Nowels for the majority of her work, but I do love The Other Woman and the production.

I also love Brooklyn Baby and Shades Of Cool which are both also produced by Auerbach so again it proves he can produce the songs that will fit my taste

but

Cruel World, Ultraviolence, Sad Girl and Fucked My Way.. didn't click with me as quickly as the other songs and to be honest I don't love those songs like I do the others. I do enjoy listening to them still though.

So for my conclusion...

My favourites are - West Coast (Radio Mix), Old Money and The Other Woman and almost favourites are Brooklyn Baby and Shades Of Cool.

For her next album I'm hoping to hear that Lana works with Rick Nowels for the majority of her songs and I like to see her work with Emile Haynie again as my favourite songs are produced by these two, and West Coast is a clear indication for me that I prefer Rick Nowels to Dan Auerbach as the main producer for an album. I'd still be happy for Lana to work with Dan Auerbach again though as he produced some of my favourites of Ultraviolence.

qsVmBMd.png

I think I've figured out how to best appreciate the UV experience, for me at least. Rather than trying to capture higher fidelity with better headphones, I need to hear it coming out of crappy computer speakers, from across the room, through a couple layers of blankets over the head, when I'm in the mood to be lulled asleep by someone else's apparent emotional fog.

Not trying to be negative here; it just really seemed to work for me. I know Lana speaks of passion and fire, but it just seems to me like there's a fair amount of dissociation going on, on this record. Speaking of tracks one through eleven; Black Beauty and Florida Kilos really do seem like they don't quite fit the emotional soundscape. (But Flipside, Is This Happiness and Guns and Roses fit it remarkably well.) 

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png