Sitar

VIDEO PREMIERE: Ultraviolence

I love that the video has been met with critical acclaim by those with knowledgeable opinions of music video production.

Would you please post a link or mention some examples? Thanks in advance.

This is from Neil Krug's interview about his collab with Lana. 

The cover photograph of her getting out of the car was always one of our top selects. The image was taken in her driveway on our first day of shooting and stood out from the beginning. When we met, we discussed the idea of the cover being the reverse of what you would expect from such a bold album name. When you hear the title Ultraviolence, you almost expect some sort of explosion happening or her shirt covered in blood.

We both agreed that the artwork should have all the undertones present without having to blast it in your face. Stylistically, I was going for something that felt like a lobby card from a bygone midnight movie. In my mind, the cover needed to feel like the last frame of a '60s Polanski film, where the audience has been properly traumatized, and this is the last thing they see before the credits roll.

so i guess it kind of works for the video too  :creep:

The video would kinda work for a filler track ie. Sad Girl. But Ultraviolence is not a filler track - it's possibly the most important track on the record (especially due to it being the title track). As such, it deserved something epic and at least a monologue.

This^

I agree! It's the song that non-Lana fans would first listen to since it's the Title track. Like how Born to Die is one of her most famous MV. It's the title track so people assume it's the 'best' song on the album. And usually they go to YT first. But I guess Lana doesn't really care much about 'gaining' fans anymore. She's more focused on taking care of the fans she already has.

I love it that Lana is going in the opposite direction of what would be expected from a star like her... and doing the fuck she wishes on her videos. One of the reasons I respect her so much! I adore her older self edited videos as much as her big production ones. She's mainstream but she doesn't conform really.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

I had a feeling this video was going to go in the cult-esque route. Imagine a video with a woman haunted by her past with flashbacks to her life in a commune with an abusive leader that she fell in love with. <3

The sepia would fit for something like this, but I do hope they mix it up a bit.

That is what I wanted. I just knew Lana was going to give us fierce cult glamour teas. Oh, well. While the video does leave a whole lot to be desired, she is still, without a doubt, my favorite music bitch. Even with its blandness, the video conveys the darkness I always crave from Lana.

And not for nothing, but no other music diva, other than Bey can emote for all of their life, to the most bland of music. She is a natural actress. She was giving me face, expression, and feeling. And her face, it is surgically SNATCHED. She looked amazing.

I like the video a great deal. I think it's good in that the title of the song and lyrics are so intense it needed a simple video that allows the viewer to interpret it as they see it. We have Lana's interpretation but it's up to us the interpret it for ourselves and make the video meaningful to us as well.

I like the video a great deal. I think it's good in that the title of the song and lyrics are so intense it needed a simple video that allows the viewer to interpret it as they see it. We have Lana's interpretation but it's up to us the interpret it for ourselves and make the video meaningful to us as well.

ohhh Penn...that's all you got? I was expecting some amazing and insane bs religious theory from you, and you give me this almost reasonable blend comment? What happened to you babe? 

glgcDdT.gif

ohhh Penn...that's all you got? I was expecting some amazing and insane bs religious theory from you, and you give me this almost reasonable blend comment? What happened to you babe? 

All I got. lol. Well she is wearing a white dress and the video ends in an Roman Catholic Church in the countryside of Italy. 

I finally got a chance to watch the UV music video. I think the iPhone quality suits the song! The only part I don't like is how it's moving all the time, like the photographer is not good at keeping it still, it's annoying.

EDIT: I just found it was filmed by Francesco... oops... :eek: soz Lanz

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

everyday i wake up looking for a pretty when you cry video... (keep the dream alive)

inb4 "it's coming you little bitch..." comment :creep:

Anyway, editing is probably taking forever :ohno:

Wow, a lot of people really hate this one, don't they? I think it's pretty great; probably my favorite of the UV videos so far. It perfectly captures the atmosphere of the song, and shooting it on the down low on an iphone gives it a vaguely dangerous vibe that also makes it feel independent and unique among stars of her caliber. She looks great and is charismatic, and even funny at times. There's a general air of mysteriousness pervading the whole thing that makes me want to watch it over and over. I don't find it boring at all. If anything it's much more interesting than big, melodramatic, plot-heavy video would've been. For me anyway.

i like my candy and your heroin