teethclick

Book Thread!

360DAC5500000578-3679672-THE_GIRLS_by_Em

kinda the 'it book' of the summer, i know, but i liked it quite a lot. for those who haven't heard about it, it's about a teen girl in the 60s who joins a Manson-like cult, and the book mostly revolves around the circumstances that made it happen, life through a teenage girl's eyes & her relationship with other girls/women. what i liked the most about it was that men are refreshingly very secondary to the story, including the cult leader, and most of the book is actually about her fascination/crush on the cult's most charismatic girl, Suzanne. now i'm obsessed with who could possibly play Suzanne in a film adaptation, lol.

and on a curious side note, the cover is a Neil Krug photo.

I just finished this as well!! I really liked it! My 14 year old self would have related to Evie a lot, i think.

i've been on a mailing list from the director who bought this script waiting for a listing for an audition for suzanne actually

I just finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and really enjoyed it. The movie is coming out soon and I'm excited. 

A guy in my class lent me this book back in spring just 3 weeks before finals when the work slowed down but we had to revise anyway and then flew off to china before he could ask for it  :eek: so i still have it and he's still in china and we're not even friends (i didn't even want it i had to study but he gave it to me)   :eek: i'm a fast reader but not giving books back makes me anxious so I can't pick it up again and it's unfinished it's killing me 

Right now I'm reading what happened by hillary clinton  :creep:  the last book i've read was Über die Weiber by Schopenhauer including a long study on Schoppy's views on women by contemporaries and today's academics, which had me eye rolling at various moments. And poetry from Lamartine that I always keep on my nightstand hence the username  :hooker: 

So I just finished The Joys of Motherhood from this amazing nigerian writer named Buchi Emecheta and I'm on tears. Made me think about my mother and about how much I love her. Such an emotional book, 10/10.

9780807609149-uk.jpg

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera- so amazing

Currently: All The Light We Cannot See

Room to Dream

giphy.gif

Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor

The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays - Albert Camus

Marianne Moore Collected Poems

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I started these a few weeks ago and finally got around to finishing them today. 

The Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitt
Science Fiction By Scientists
Encyclopedia Gothica by Liisa Ladouceur
Satanic Panic: Pop-Cultural Paranoia
Fire Light: The Life of Angel De Cora by Linda M. Waggoner

Octavia Butler's Patternist series is next on my list. 
Science Fiction by Scientists: An Anthology of Short Stories (Science and Fiction)

by Michael Brotherton 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

I bought a lot of books recently but I made the mistake to start by the (apparently) most boring one and I can't finish it  :deadbanana: it's Only The Animals by Ceridwen Dovey. Some of the stories are good but some of them are just plain awful, like the Mussel one... when all the mussel started having an orgy I was like oop thats it.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

She Who Was No More (or, as the French title goes, Les Diaboliques).

It was like 5 months ago... anyway

It's a really cute noir and it's about this French salesman who plots to kill his wife with his lover but then goes crazy when something unexpected happens.

It's very short too

sex-driven people by robert e.l. masters. basically masters reads off confessions sent to him from people with "abnormal sexual desires" (pedophilia, bestiality, and transsexualism, but the stores vary from hardly strange at all to very strange) then masters briefly explains from a scientific point of view what he believes causes their desires.

cant say i "learned" much from this book, cause it blurs the lines between scientific & professional and exploiting & sensationalized, but if youre curious about the lengths human beings will go to in order to satisfy odd desires this book is extremely interesting

tumblr_inline_p7g3g992X51rujz3w_250.gif

Last book I read was in like February lmao. But it was actually The Story Of A New Name, the second tome of the Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante, and I devoured it so fast because I absolutely fucking ADORED the first tome and the series as a whole - I'm still in the process of reading the third, but work and depression alternated make it difficult. I insanely love the way she writes. The thing is I have planet-sized daddy issues, and when my father tells me I'm gonna like something, I somehow automatically block and never watch or listen or read it. But this time I was really tired of doing nothing during my 2h daily commute to uni so I decided to give it a try, even though I wasn't sure about the plot, and I loved it SO MUCH. It just flows so easily it's so amazing to read, and the story is just incredible, the characters so vivid, really recommend it, I can't wait to finish the series. I'm super extremely excited about the television show, the actors look beautiful and I'm very interested to see how it translates on screen. The first episodes are out I think? But I'm pretty sure the books will remain better. Like My Brilliant Friend is just out of this world. I'm just annoyed because my whole family originates from Piemonte and my last name is Italian but I can't speak a word from it and I would just LOVE to read them in the native language, especially with the different dialects :defeated:

And it's super interesting that the author is still anonymous!!! Like you have huge international success and you still choose to remain hidden... Sorry I'm very passionate about this series kkfhgkjfhg

ZKcaooE.png