teethclick

Book Thread!

The first hunger games book was the first and actually only book i've ever read :toofloppy: I would recommend it as I did really like it and it inspired me to read more although i've still not read anything since as I don't know what my problem is but I have like a phobia about doing it. I think it's probably trauma from school where I didn't have any interest in books and never read any of them and always got punishment and detention for not doing book report homework and so I can't get into it but then I think a lot of people are just unable to get into reading, maybe it's adhd.

Actually I did read one other book in school Fahrenheit 451 as I needed to for an exam in English, and also as a class we read Macbeth so I guess I have read 3 but I can't remember much of these two.

Does anyone have book recommendations for me?

-I like high fantasy books that at are really immersive and have a magic element—the longer the better! I’m not a huge fan of super dark themes, though :( 

-I really enjoy more psychologically and emotionally relevant books as well (The Bell Jar, Girl Interrupted, etc.)

I love a good poetry collection too. However, I’m open to other suggestions as well!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

I finished reading 'Play It As It Lays' by Joan Didion & I don't know how to feel. it reminded me of TS Eliots 'The Waste Land' - “I can connect nothing with nothing.”

& the final szn of Mad Men (which MUST'VE taken inspiration from it). Its a sad, lonely & desperate novel but stunning.. it's no wonder she is heralded as such a fantastic writer. 

I'm looking fwd to watching the netflix docu on her soon / checking out more of her novels.

besides that, I'm in the middle of 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac & Leonard Cohen's 'A Ballet of Lepers' rn  & will review those when finished:really:

i'm reading twilight. and only god can judge me

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

14 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

I finished reading 'Play It As It Lays' by Joan Didion & I don't know how to feel. it reminded me of TS Eliots 'The Waste Land' - “I can connect nothing with nothing.”

& the final szn of Mad Men (which MUST'VE taken inspiration from it). Its a sad, lonely & desperate novel but stunning.. it's no wonder she is heralded as such a fantastic writer. 

I'm looking fwd to watching the netflix docu on her soon / checking out more of her novels.

besides that, I'm in the middle of 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac & Leonard Cohen's 'A Ballet of Lepers' rn & I will review those when finished:really:

lovelovelovelove her nonfiction works, have yet to read play it as it lays though but it's def on my list. 'Slouching Towards Betlehem' is one of my all time favs, would highly recommend

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

On 1/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, the ocean said:

i used to read and then i kinda just stopped around late junior high / early high school :bebe:

and since then every time i've tried to pick up a book i've been physically unable to concentrate on reading it

Reveal hidden contents

i think i might have undiagnosed adhd (yes i know it's a childhood thing but it can manifest differently in adulthood hence why it's undiagnosed because it probably got overlooked or misdiagnosed as something else

edit: i will say the last book i read was house of leaves by mark z. danielewski i HIGHLY recommend it

warning though it's a difficult book to read both in subject matter and literally because the formatting is deliberately complicated

it's definitely a book you re-read to get a fuller perspective of

I have this problem as well although I never used to read either, I actually used to hate it as I thought it was boring, in school I took detention and punishments etc over ever reading anything then once I left school I wanted to read and was interested in it but what you said im "physically unable"  to do it. It feels like a phobia where I want to read them and think about it near enough every day and probably have 150-200 books i've bought but it's like I think "I'll read these when im old" to where I can't even pick on up and open it to start.

I've only ever read 3 books, one was one I had to read because I had to write an essay about it which was "Fahrenheit 451" which was ok and I liked it. One was "Macbeth" which I read as like a whole class in school also and then I only ever read 1 other book which was the first Hunger Games book which I really liked and was the first time I really read a book cause I wanted to and I planned to read the other ones but then I put it off too long I just watched the movies and never read a book again since.

It's really annoying and furstrating and it probably is adhd for me as well.

21 hours ago, burthday kake said:

besides that, I'm in the middle of 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac & Leonard Cohen's 'A Ballet of Lepers' rn  & will review those when finished:really:

Purchased that book a few months back along with The White Album and Slouching Towards Bethlehem and I've been trying to get motivation to start reading it :defeated:but I buy too many books at a time and my TBR shelf keeps getting bigger and bigger oop 

♡⋆*.⋆ ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

1 minute ago, violentvioletsky said:

Purchased that book a few months back along with The White Album and Slouching Towards Bethlehem and I've been trying to get motivation to start reading it :defeated:but I buy too many books at a time and my TBR shelf keeps getting bigger and bigger oop 

bahaha no I get it, the Didion & Cohen books were gifted to me for Christmas & until late Jan they were just collecting dust fdhjsdjhf.. there's a right time & place to start a book, when you know you just know

Rlly need to buy both of those btw.

Might start reading The Trial by Franz Kafka during my long shift at work tomorrow, the book's plot intrigued me so I purchased it today

I read halfway through The Metamorphosis back in 2021 but had to return it back to my uni's library, but I did remember liking his style of writing

♡⋆*.⋆ ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

8 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

bahaha no I get it, the Didion & Cohen books were gifted to me for Christmas & until late Jan they were just collecting dust fdhjsdjhf.. there's a right time & place to start a book, when you know you just know

Rlly need to buy both of those btw.

That's so true, at times I just get a sudden intuitive feeling to start reading a particular book. And once I start, there is no stopping as I just get too immersed in it

♡⋆*.⋆ ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚