PARADIXO

Discussion: Is Lana an ICON?

You don't have to have a career for 10, 15 or 20 years to be an icon. After such a long time, the word "diva" is probably more appropriate.

Yes you do though.. Lana could fall off the face of the Earth tomorrow and go live in isolation for the rest of her life, and she hasn't made enough of an influence or impact to be an icon. & generally you need to be around for a while to make an impact in whatever field you work. If she faded out right now she'd just be viewed as "that hipster girl with that one video games song from the early 2010s" in a few years time, and that's not something people would say about a true icon.

And somebody posted that Britney has revolutionized pop music? With what? Don't get me wrong, Britney is an icon, but because of her lack of involvment in her music in every aspect of the game, she will never reach the status of some other female singers.

Girl what? No no noo. Britney took teenage pop music by storm in the early 2000s and influenced the sound of it GREATLY. She like, set the template for the sound that pop music would become for that decade. Look it up if you don't believe me /madonna-look-it-up.gif

Also hun do some research plz before you make a statement like "she's not involved" because according to basically everyone she's ever worked with, she has always been very hands-on in the studio and really involved with the production aspect of her music etc. She also writes some of her songs, too. So yeah. Britney deserves more credit than the image she's been given by the media of her being a robot that always lip syncs. ANYWAY sorry if I sounded snarky I'm just defending Britney and giving my thoughts on the icon thing.

I just think it's ridiculous and a little disrespectful to people like Cher, Madonna, MJ etc. when everyone throws the word "icon" around like it means nothing, giving it to people who've made little to no impact in like 2-4 years of their career. Yes Lana is like "tumblr queen" or whatever but another part of being an icon is making an impact on /mainstream society/ and Lana hasn't done that.

14417469274.gif

Yes you do though.. Lana could fall off the face of the Earth tomorrow and go live in isolation for the rest of her life, and she hasn't made enough of an influence or impact to be an icon. & generally you need to be around for a while to make an impact in whatever field you work. If she faded out right now she'd just be viewed as "that hipster girl with that one video games song from the early 2010s" in a few years time, and that's not something people would say about a true icon.

Girl what? No no noo. Britney took teenage pop music by storm in the early 2000s and influenced the sound of it GREATLY. She like, set the template for the sound that pop music would become for that decade. Look it up if you don't believe me /madonna-look-it-up.gif

Also hun do some research plz before you make a statement like "she's not involved" because according to basically everyone she's ever worked with, she has always been very hands-on in the studio and really involved with the production aspect of her music etc. She also writes some of her songs, too. So yeah. Britney deserves more credit than the image she's been given by the media of her being a robot that always lip syncs. ANYWAY sorry if I sounded snarky I'm just defending Britney and giving my thoughts on the icon thing.

I just think it's ridiculous and a little disrespectful to people like Cher, Madonna, MJ etc. when everyone throws the word "icon" around like it means nothing, giving it to people who've made little to no impact in like 2-4 years of their career.

Yes Lana is like "tumblr queen" or whatever but another part of being an icon is making an impact on /mainstream society/ and Lana hasn't done that.

Don't have time since I am cooking, but just this.

You got it all wrong.

and: Britney does not even bother to sing on her recent outputs herself. How on earth is she involved? And yes, she for sure has had impact on teenage pop. Especially in creating clones who are just product without any essence as an artist, but rather just a record label creation. 

You got it all wrong.

and: Britney does not even bother to sing on her recent outputs herself. How on earth is she involved? And yes, she for sure has had impact on teenage pop. Especially in creating clones who are just product without any essence as an artist, but rather just a record label creation.

Oh come on. I'm not Me. I Am Mariah, you don't gotta do me like that.

Again, research. Britney's label completely took over and destroyed her last record.

You don't seem interested in discussing it tho so I'll leave it at that.

14417469274.gif

In the future yes. If she manages to last and span her career over ten years. Lana has already established herself as the alternative queen in the space of three years which is a feat in its self. Lana imo has not reached or peaked at her prime yet but you can definitely tell she is starting to and oh lord when she dose it will be brilliant/magical time tbh. She reminds me of David Bowie in way BC he evolved and earned he's iconic status through the years...

She's already iconic fashion wise though. She brought back normalness if that make sense back when it was fashionable to dress bat shit crazy like and thank god for it tbh.....

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

You got it all wrong.

Except s/he doesn't, especially with the first bit. If Lana quit music today no one would remember her or care in a few years time. Her fanbase is largely made up of teen aged kids who just follow whatever is popular and as soon as that's not Lana they'll move on to someone else they think is "new" and "unique". She needs more time making music and being recognized by a critical and mature crowd for it to really be long standing and iconic. I think she needs more good-quality albums out as well to prove that she has staying power. 

With that said, I think she has every bit of potential to become an icon. I think she's been pretty influential in terms of style so far and she's been getting noticed by more famous people (Angelina Jolie handpicked her for OUAD, Kardashian wedding, TS copying a video, etc.). I think if she keeps moving forward with quality music and maintains her mainstream-but-not status, she'll be an icon with time. An icon of what? Its hard to tell.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Except s/he doesn't, especially with the first bit. If Lana quit music today no one would remember her or care in a few years time. Her fanbase is largely made up of teen aged kids who just follow whatever is popular and as soon as that's not Lana they'll move on to someone else they think is "new" and "unique". She needs more time making music and being recognized by a critical and mature crowd for it to really be long standing and iconic. I think she needs more good-quality albums out as well to prove that she has staying power. 

With that said, I think she has every bit of potential to become an icon. I think she's been pretty influential in terms of style so far and she's been getting noticed by more famous people (Angelina Jolie handpicked her for OUAD, Kardashian wedding, TS copying a video, etc.). I think if she keeps moving forward with quality music and maintains her mainstream-but-not status, she'll be an icon with time. An icon of what? Its hard to tell.

ICON!

avatars-000027896417-06r92p-crop.jpg?3ed

Weak shot. I will adress my point on Brinti another time :smokes2:

Good lol, I do actually like you and think you generally have interestingly thought out posts. Looking forward to getting frustrated with your incorrect opinion. :hooker:

14417469274.gif

Personally, for me, she's an icon. I love the style of her music, I love the lyrical structure (even if some of it may repeat in other songs) and I think she's very... She's different than other artists out there right now. I love that about her. I love the way she sings and her voice and it's all attributes to reasons why I love Lana.

As for being an icon for the digital era or right now in the industry, no, she's not. Not yet, anyway. She has fans, sold out stadiums, but she needs radio airplay. She needs to be everywhere, singing at a Superbowl or at something that will get her face, name, and music out there. Last year (March 2013) when I discovered her, I had NO idea who she was. I didn't even realize she had a fanbase as big as it is. Now, with Lady Gaga, she became an icon because she was thrown onto the radio with the first single she released. Just Dance slayed everyone off of the radio and today, Do What U Want is played and Artpop tanked. Now, don't get me wrong, people loved Video Games and it got tons of comments and views and thumbs up on YouTube, but it just wasn't on the radio like it should've been to be popular. Maybe in 5-10 years, or shit, she could become popular now with a song from UV but it needs to get enough promo, enough radio airplay, it needs to be everywhere for her to become an icon. Yeah, people know her name NOW, but let's be honest, she's just not there at 'Icon' level yet. She has to make radio friendly, commercial music to be on the radio, which was why that godawful remix of Summertime Sadness was played everywhere.  I'm not saying EVERY SONG has to be this way, she just needs to have her music played somewhere so it reaches people who actually listen to the radio still (which, I don't but I know what's on it) so they'd wanna go buy her album. In my opinion, the Rick Nowels produced version of West Coast could've been what slayed the charts BUT it didn't release as a single or on the final version of the album...

EDIT:
Continuing on that little rant, I guess, I went on about radio friendly, commercial music, it seems to me Lana wants creative freedom, which is what she went for when she fought her label to get UV published and out there. She wouldn't mind being played on the radio, but she isn't going to do what the radio wants to be there. She'll make what she wants to make and release, which is the problem when it comes to her being more popular than she already is or her becoming an icon. Then again, each album has sounded differently, going back to Sirens up till now, so we never know what she might decide to do next... 

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg

Her fanbase is largely made up of teen aged kids who just follow whatever is popular and as soon as that's not Lana they'll move on to someone else they think is "new" and "unique". She needs more time making music and being recognized by a critical and mature crowd for it to really be long standing and iconic. I think she needs more good-quality albums out as well to prove that she has staying power.

You're right, but not always "teenager" is synonymous with "immature", at least on a musical level.

:hawt: :hawt: :hawt: :hawt: :hawt: :hawt: Oh God, how I love this face XD

You're right, but not always "teenager" is synonymous with "immature", at least on a musical level.

:hawt: :hawt: :hawt: :hawt: :hawt: :hawt: Oh God, how I love this face XD

That's fair enough. My point was more that her fanbase is almost exclusively teens and she will have to reach out to a broader range of people to be iconic.

She'll make what she wants to make and release, which is the problem when it comes to her being more popular than she already is or her becoming an icon.

See, I think this will be what makes her iconic. She will be iconic for doing things her own way and still appealing to the masses. She doesn't need the radio (in fact, I think her not being in people's faces constant is really appealing in general and keeps her fresh when people do hear her name) or to conform to her producers to reign people in. She's getting it off talent alone.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Of course, I fully agree with your thoughts :) I had stated only that ... because being a kid (I'm 16) I do not see how all those who follow the masses. :)

However, you are right, Lana, now, is a "character" of trendy, and as such many teenagers follow her, such as it was Lady Gaga a few years ago. The potential has them, of course ... like the style. But now define icon is too high, how to deal with this mat  ter. It is only from 2-3 years that has emerged ... let's give it a bit 'of time, come on. XD

About Jeff Buckley: Ok did successfully with only one album, but we can say with all honesty (and without taking away anything to Lana) that Jeff came from another world ... it was a real talent, a "child prodigy" as Jim Morrison, for example ... :eek:

I'm seeing people saying that it's not too early to call Lana iconic, but I think they're entirely wrong. To be an icon, you have to represent something and longevity is apart of that. Of course Lana represents the "indie" or "hipster" scene now, but if in 5 years and you say Lana Del Rey and nobody knows what you're talking about, then she's not iconic. It doesn't matter how many albums you put out, because someone mentioned an artist putting out only one album, because if you make a statement with that one album and represent a generation or a part of a generation, then you're an icon. Because that's what an icon is, representing something, and the kind of icon that we're discussing is a pop culture icon so you have to define a generation, like Madonna, Micheal Jackson, Britney Spears. So, yes, it is too early to say whether or not Lana is an icon, because we don't know how she has impacted today's culture in the grand scheme of things. 

tumblr_ma0935r5Ds1rbghbvo1_500.gif

I think she's a personal icon for many, a woman that people idolize. Her fan base isn't huge, but those a part of it are usually super dedicated. They would iconize Lana and treat her as a legend.

In the music industry as a whole (or pop culture, for that matter), Lana is not an icon. She hasn't been in the game very long at all. She's only become semi-known since mid/late 2011 (start of BTD era). Lana hasn't achieved longevity or success in her career.

Many would agree that Born To Die and Ultraviolence are amazing records that deserve attention and recognition. They also might think that her style - her beauty queen hair, the lips, the long claws - is noteworthy and original. Or they love her songwriting, unique voice, and genre; "Hollywood sadcore" meets "narco-swing" meets "surf noir."

It's all subjective as to whether a certain person is worthy of icon status.

As far as being an industry icon, there's no way. If they general public doesn't know of her existence, then she doesn't deserve a title like that. Icons are people who have literally shaped pop culture and music.

However, Lana is an icon to me because she is unlike any other and is a true artist. I consider her as a musical legend because she's done what nobody else has. 

She may not be a major name in music, but she is an icon for me. 

I'm sure many people have their own personal group of people they love and follow devoutly. They would consider those people icons or idols, even if they aren't well-known in terms of the music world. :)

Whenever I talk about Lana or mention her this is the reaction I get: :whoopi: 'Lana who?Is that a band?' or 'Yeah, the girl who sings Summertime Sadness'

One of the main aspects of an icon has to be instant recognition, and while Lana's been getting quite famous recently, she isn't that much known as an artist since she's new in the business (I know she's been around for ages, don't start with that).

So I think Lana's not an icon YET, but she's to become one if she keeps making this wonderful music.

ZmJh1LG.jpg

An icon (from Greek εἰκών eikōn "image") is a religious work of art, most commonly a painting, from Eastern Christianity and in certain Eastern Catholic churches. More broadly the term is used in a wide number of contexts for an image, picture, or representation; it is a sign or likeness that stands for an object by signifying or representing it either concretely or by analogy, as in semiotics; by extension, icon is also used, particularly in modern culture, in the general sense of symbol — i.e. a name, face, picture, edifice or even a person readily recognized as having some well-known significance or embodying certain qualities: one thing, an image or depiction, that represents something else of greater significance through literal or figurative meaning, usually associated with religious, cultural, political, or economic standing.

BliJ1tXIcAAnvLf.jpg

of course